Anyone get their hands on a 3.0 MP yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kirkbross, Jan 9, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Why does it matter?

80-watt peak or 120-watt peak? The heatsink can cope with it.

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

More power > more heat > more fan activity > generally more noise.

Even with my present comp inside a sound isolation box and my mics in an isolation room, I can still hear it humming while recording quiet acoustic guitars or vocals. It's at an acceptable level and I can gate the worst of it out, but it is a concern so and the less noise the better.

But there are other reasons people not concerned about noise would "prefer" the 80W flavor whether or not the HS can handle 120W peaks. I'm not in a super rush to get it either, and it's something I can totally see Apple doing. They buy a bunch of X5472's initially and E5472's later when Intel gets the 3.0 down to 80W. They put the 120W parts into the first batch because plenty of people won't care which it has and they'll sell them all, no problem. At some point they'll just all have the 80W part. Since it's otherwise an identical chip, they don't even need to advertise it. Apple's tech specs only go so far as to say that it's a 5400 series Xeon.

This is speculation, but I can wait a month if I have to.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I think they would output the same amount of noise, regardless of it being a 80-watt or 120-watt version.

With the former Mac Pro the harddrives are actually making the most noise and totally drown any noise form the large fans.

5. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

I thought someone had confirmed (in another thread) that it was the E-series
    chip (read 80W)?

I too am bothered by the oft vagueness of Apple specs..

6. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Yeah there are strong, logical arguments for it being the 80W (E5472), but no one can yet say "I have seen with my own eyes that it is the E flavor of the 5472". When people start getting their dual 3.0's in the mail over the next few days, I imagine someone will post a 100% definitive on this. As long as the X flavor of the 5472 is for sale* (*it is), my guess is that Apple bought a bunch of them, has them, and is going to use them quietly until they run out and can move over to the 80W chip... and we'll see a bunch of angry posts coming up in the next few weeks from 3.0 owners who didn't research, like iPhone buyers who were ticked when Apple slashed the price the next month. (forget the gift certificate).

What surprises me is that since the MP update is out and it is not a "secret" anymore, why does Apple make it so hard to find out? Moreso, why do they skimp on details for their PRO line which buyers are sure to want to scrutinize. They only end up taxing customer support so it makes no sense. I can understand an iMac user not caring about the nitty gritty, but Mac Pros are used by... er... professionals who live for these details, if not actually rely on them. The "Detailed" specs online don't go beyond saying it's a "5400 series Xeon" and I wouldn't be surprised if it was left out of the white papers too. Der. I called and spoke to two people at Apple -- one in sales and one in tech support -- and neither had a clue what I was talking about. They were like,

"Yes sir, let me look at our cheat sheet here... um... that computer has the new Intel... 'ehx-ee-on' processor."
    -I beg yer pardon?

They literally go to the Apple website themselves to answer your questions.

...um yes sir, this new Ferarri has the...um... "fast" engine, with "a lot" of pistons and the good "carbordater"...

7. newtech macrumors 6502

Logically it has to be the E5472 as it does not have the uprated cooling components of the new 3.2 ( X5482 )or prior 8X 3.0 ( X5365 ) ( both 120 Watt TDP ). Also the 2.8 and 3.0 share a common mother board part number distinct from the 3.2 motherboard part number.

8. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Someone wanna give me a call when its a fact?
    I'll be waiting by the phone.. ;)

9. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Did you manage to find out whether the 3.0 is an X or E5472 or are we still waiting for a final post from an actual owner?

10. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

You know, i think everyone who ordered the 3.0 also ordered the 8800GT... I mean, if they spent the extra $700, why not?

:D

11. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Exactly what I was thinking. As soon as someone gets their 3.0, let us all know what proc it has.