Anyone get their uMBPs screens modified at Techrestore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, May 3, 2009.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Hello all!

I was considering getting a uMBP's ultra-glare screen swapped out for a matte one. I was delighted to see that techrestore has a program to do this. Upon closer investigation of this procedure, it looks like quite the butcher job - scratches, dents etc.

Has anyone here actually had this procedure done to their uMBPs?

I noticed that they're now doing it with Macbooks. Now, if they'll only do it with the iMacs.

2. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Yes I had it done and they did a fine job with my laptop. The blemishes shown in that initial review do not appear in mine.

[​IMG]

3. allanibanez macrumors regular

I must say that looks fantastic, although I remember reading that technically, matte screens work best with a lighter bezel colour, such as grey or white and gloss works better with black (Apple obviously regard this to be true too). I was tempted to do it to my mbp, but the cost of it and living in the UK made it completely unreasonable in terms of price.

4. henhowc macrumors regular

That looks pretty nice. How much did that set you back?

5. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Well, the service is 199 I believe, but I paid 299 + taxes because the glass on my old display was cracked. I believe this is the same display they just remove the glass casing and put a new bezel in.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In the description they say they give you a new matte panel (used on the old pre-unibody MBP). If they didn't then I'd be disappointed since the panels under the current displays are also glossy.

7. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

It actually looks really nice. But I was wondering, where did the "MacBook Pro" sign go? Haha. Did they took it off also?

8. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I believe that that's actually on the glass that has to be taken off.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't mind the glossy MBP screen and given the review I read on macworld, they really dinged up the author's display. I'd not want to take a chance.

To the OP, congrats and I'm glad they didn't nick or damage your MBP in the process.

10. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I think that was one of the earliest jobs they did, but they are continuously improving the service.