Anyone get Yahoo (IMAP) Working on the Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jon99UT, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Jon99UT macrumors newbie

So, I'm trying to get the Yahoo Push Style mail working on my iPod and this is the screen I get in the mail application.

[​IMG]

I live in the US and therefore have a yahoo.com address. Any ideas? Is everyone else having this problem as well?

2. California King macrumors 65816

I thought only POP mail works. Not sure though. But an authentication failure usually means you entered your information incorrectly.

3. Jon99UT thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what an authentication error means... and I've entered my information correctly.

I'm wondering if Apple/AT&T make you use edge the first time you check your mail to verify that you actually have an iPhone. Just wondered if anyone had actually gotten IMAP to work.

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Everybody seems to have the same error logging in. Even though we are using the copied over app, somehow I think the Yahoo server is keeping us out.

It could be Edge authentication, although that seems kinda clunky. Someone with an iPhone could check this by turning off their phone and then try to sign in via Yahoo account in Mobilemail, thus forcing wifi...

5. stekerrod macrumors regular

don't you need the Yahoo Plus account to be able to use POP? i was looking into it the other week and am pretty sure that you do!

6. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Try changing your password. Troubleshooting this with a friend led us to determine that non-new accounts seemed to have authentication errors, whereas new accounts worked fine. That led us to try changing his password, and it worked immediately after that.

7. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

I am with the others. (I thought) Yahoo is only POP and you have to subscribe to it's plus service to access it.

8. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

9. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I don't pay for Yahoo POP access.. its one of the reasons i chose yahoo over hotmail (and was before gmail existed as far as i remember)... then again I've been using Yahoos pop service for at least 7 years..
    Maybe they let me keep my pop on... also to note, this is the UK yahoo site, so things might be different again...

10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

No, guys, really! The iPhone comes with FREE YAHOO PUSH IMAP. It's special for the iPhone only.

The problem is that no one can get it to work on the Touch with the iPhone MobileMail app.

11. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Here's an article that seems to suggest the cell radio is involved, maybe that's why we can't get it to work-

http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2007/07/pop_imap_and_yahoo_push_email.html

12. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Yeah, to clarify, I was speaking from my experience with my and my friend's iPhones. Wasn't paying close enough attention at the time about the issues the ported app would face on an iPod Touch. I suspect that the EDGE connection is important to the push feature, even when on WiFi. After all, mobile phones customarily can have data pushed to them...phone calls, SMS, voicemail notifications...why not e-mail?

13. Jon99UT thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a problem no more. Gmail announced IMAP support for free, so screw Yahoo!

Gmail FTW

14. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

many of us have Yahoo accounts for ever and dont want to change our email addy just to use the touch's mail app

I am hopeing that the mail app will be released in January when they opne up for development and the IMAP will be avaible.

15. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Jeah! Go Jon!!!!! Google Rox!

16. dikiem macrumors member

I assume no update to this authenication error? I got the same thing :mad: