Anyone getting a 5S soon instead of waiting for 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TantalizedMind, May 7, 2014.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I might be. I usually wait until the newest version comes out to future proof it as long as possible but I don't want to wait 4-5 months. My iPhone 4 is starting to run slow but that's probably mostly because I only have 700MB free.

I'm sick of not having talk to text and not being able to download new apps because I don't have iOS 7. And I'm not putting that on my 4.

I'd like a little bigger screen but the width of my 4 (which would be the same as 5S) fits perfectly into my pockets. I hate bulky things in my pants. I'd make a comment about that last sentence but I'm not sure what the forum rules are on "suggestive" remarks. Hah.

2. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

IMO, the 5s feels way less bulky than my 4s did. That 4s felt like a brick in my pocket (after I upgraded to the 5)

Also, you can go find a decent deal on a 5s from swappa.com or somewhere (ebay, craigslist, etc), and then when the iPhone 6 comes out, evaluate whether or not to keep the 5s or upgrade to the 6. If the latter, sell the 5s, and get the 6...

OR wait, but I wouldn't get locked into a 2 year contract right now for a 5s, but that's just me, I don't do contracts any more ;)

3. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I second Swappa. You can find some decent prices on the 5s right now. I wouldn't blow your upgrade on a 5s when the 6 is real close. Sell your 4s and and stick the proceeds toward a 5s.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I already did back in April 2014. A family member wanted to wait for a 6, but I'm so glad I got them a 5S, because I can see how important it was for them to have the phone now.

5. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Install iOS 7 and clear some space on your phone, it will feel new enough to allow you to wait until the iPhone 6 to make your decision. If you really think it will slow your phone there are ways to downgrade the 4 if you don't like it.

Or you could get a 5S if you think the 6 will be too big.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

How would clearing up space on a flash memory storage unit speed up the system? I always thought this advice is a holdout from the days of mechanical disk drives which had to seek scattered sectors in full drives...

7. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

It definitely slows down the phone, don't ask me why though.

8. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I may consider it for my next upgrade in November 2015 as got the 5c now.

9. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68010

MuGeN PoWeR

i updated from 5 to 5s. got a very very good deal. only had to add 50$ for a factory unlocked version. my 5 was also a factory unlocked version.

10. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

I'd recommend getting the 5S and then staying on the "S" cycle upgrade.

I normally would upgrade every year, but with the value (and lack thereof) of subsidies becoming ever clear, I'm trying to move to a every two year upgrade cycle.

The "S" model is always the best of the two, so why bother with the other!?

11. zetti macrumors 6502a

zetti

I wouldnt just because I would end up getting the 6 but a friend has decided 5S is better for them instead of the rumoured bigger 6 that is coming soon. It really does depend on what you prefer.

12. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have an iPhone 4 too. Yeah it sucks but just wait. It works out better

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The S models are certainly better, but if you get the non-S then looks-wise it will stay 'current' for two years, because the S always uses the same casing as the previous model. The S model is replaced by a completely different looking model twelve months later and therefore looks dated quicker...

14. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

no...I'm holding off (as long as my iPhone still works)

I have an iPhone 4...the home button barely works. it is slow, and a pain. BUT I figure i waited this long...what's a few more months.

15. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

But wouldn't you want better hardware than just having a newer looking phone? The 5 is perfectly good still, of course, but the hardware in the 5s is much better.

16. parajba macrumors 6502

By the same token you shouldn't upgrade to an S because the next model (12 months away) will be definitely faster and more powerful by a large margin, just like the S was to the pre-S. Performance will always improve every 12 months. The only differentiator is the design which happens to 'improve' every 24 months.

You only achieve one thing by getting an S. Its design will already be 12 months old the moment you buy it.

17. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

If someone buys the non-S model at time of release then they are getting the best iPhone available, period. The S model is released 12 months later and is a slight improvement, but looks almost identical (if not totally identical). I would rather upgrade on the non-S model cycle because my phone will look 'current' for the full 24 months of my contract, rather than looking like the old model halfway through my contract. Sure the S models are 'better' but the subsequent non-S models are better still, and remain aesthetically current for twice as long...

18. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

My wife got herself a 5S. I'm still using my 4 on IOS 7.1.1. I use her 4 as a developer and R&D phone. Since it was jailbroken from day one, I can go back and forth anything in between IOS 4.x and 7.0.6. Her old 4 runs fastest on 4.x. Not too shabby on 5.x but not so great on 6.x. Surprisingly it runs better on 7.0.6 than 6.x.

As for mine, it is not jailbroken (yet), and I'm using it with 7.1.1.

To my surprise, 7.1.1 is fast enough to use it without cursing and even more surprising is the fact that now my battery easily sees the end of the day with power to spare, whereas before it would quit during the early evening hours.

So, I'm not inclined to buy a 5S and I can easily wait for the 6 to come out.;)

19. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This is tempting. Especially knowing that:

- The iPhone 6 is going to be huge (I actually like the size of my 5 and the 5s)
    - Apple usually stops selling larger capacity versions of the previous version when a new model comes out.

So if I wait for the iPhone 6, my only current-size phone option will be a 16GB 5S or a 32GB "6c" model? No thanks, I need my 64GB!

I'm really hoping Apple continues to serve the current size screen's market. I don't want a huge bulky phone in my pocket!

20. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

So you only like having them because they "look current"? You spend hundreds of dollars on a phone only in hopes of others thinking you're cool?

21. Brdl04 macrumors regular

Brdl04

Me too....But I've gotten used to it.

22. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Wow, we dont have any iphone 4 left in the household, but thats really something that Apple support and optimize 3+ year old phone with new OS.

-------

I would wait until iphone 6 comes out, and if I don't like it I still could get the iphone 5S for a much cheaper price.

23. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

In the 5s's case, however, the Touch ID changed the home button, so after that 12 months of your 5, everyone knew it was outdated.

24. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

What are we referring to?

25. cynics macrumors G3

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 5S now. But I know I'd probably regret it since one thing I really want in my next phone is a bigger screen.

Recently because of a problem with my 4S I restored the phone as new and its made a world of difference. Much more responsive and the battery life got slightly better. I'm content at this point that I could wait till the 6.