Anyone getting a MacBook Air even though an iMac is perfect for their needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kendo, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Apr 4, 2011
    I was dead set on getting the base $1199 iMac since all I ever use a computer for is to browse the web, play some Counter-Strike, and sync my iPhone. I don't have any need for a portable computer and the iMac gives the best price vs. performance factor but ever since the updated MacBook Air has been released, I can't stop longing for one.

I know that as soon as I buy one, it will predominantly sit at my desk but the idea of being able to take it anywhere I want is very appealing. Not to mention that the new refresh has just been released so I am essentially getting the most current bang for the buck.

Is anyone else in my position where they would be better off with a desktop but want that MacBook Air? Price-wise they are both similar (I plan on getting the base 13" model) but performance and feature wise, the iMac kicks butt.
  2. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

Apr 28, 2011
    You have given absolutely not one reason why you would want the Air over the iMac except for some weird longing and a 2 month difference in "current bang for the buck".

I am confused. Why would you want an Air again?
  3. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Yup, I am buying a MBA 13" and I have a 27" iMac. I will do it because I need the portability for my last year of college in Mechanical Engineering and still be able to use the big screen and power of the iMac when I need to do CAD work, etc.