Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
I got a brand new (ok, refurbished) MBP 15" Retina (late 2013 hi-end model), installed clean OS X Yosemite and it's been running fine except I get graphical glitches.

I don't know if these are OS based or if I should prepare myself for faulty GPU (GT 750M w/ 2GB VRAM). This sometimes happens randomly and switching between the desktops "cleans up" the mess.

I had this happen quite often in Photoshop. Once I had it happen with quick view video playing (glitches in video) but checked in VLC if it's the file or not. I had one kernel panic when I switched to 3D Ray Tracing in After Effects and had bunch of other stuff open (I guess it could be not enough VRAM but I was just rotating extruded 3D text?). Restart fixed it.

Premiere Pro is working flawlessly though. I have latest Nvidia CUDA driver installed.

Then I tried playing X-Com (the new one :) ) with max details and max resolution, the computer handled it just fine. I'm kinda worried it might be faulty GPU... but would I be able to do screenshots of it if it was true (I'm no expert so idk).

I have external 1080p display attached, I notice when switching apps I get this white blocky flickers in upper-right corner of menubar (using dark mode).

These are the ones I caught today.

BLbzbeW.jpg

xcmVn6I.jpg

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
Yes, I got glitches like that. Had to revert to Mavericks.
(also had mouse cursor "trail" remaining on the screen.)
I believe that these issues are actually due to a "bad install." - corrupted files being installed and the installer not being able to see/fix it.

I'll be trying Yosemite again soon.

I reported my issues to Apple using apple.com/feedback.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Yes, I got glitches like that. Had to revert to Mavericks.
(also had mouse cursor "trail" remaining on the screen.)
I believe that these issues are actually due to a "bad install." - corrupted files being installed and the installer not being able to see/fix it.

I'll be trying Yosemite again soon.

I reported my issues to Apple using apple.com/feedback.

That's good to hear I was beginning to be worried that I had faulty GPU because it looks a lot like it.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
seems the exact same glitches that I've had with intel gma x3100 in snow leopard, software updates fixed that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.