Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
On all three computers at my house, after upgrading, it takes forever to download things! Whether it's in Safari or the App Store, my downloads are a fraction of what they should be. I have a 15Mb connection, and if I go to speedtest.net I get the full speeds. But, for example, a 290MB download for pages that should take about 4 minutes is taking about 40 minutes.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
On all three computers at my house, after upgrading, it takes forever to download things! Whether it's in Safari or the App Store, my downloads are a fraction of what they should be. I have a 15Mb connection, and if I go to speedtest.net I get the full speeds. But, for example, a 290MB download for pages that should take about 4 minutes is taking about 40 minutes.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Try isolating the problem
- plug a machine via ethernet into your router ( i.e., Airport ) - and test
- plug machine directly in your cable modem via ethernet if applicable, and test.
- take off all your machines but one from your network and test.

Does this occur with any website - try downloading large piece of software from other places - is this a consistent pattern of slow downloads? One I can think of right now - http://eclipse.org - about 100mb of download.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Try isolating the problem
- plug a machine via ethernet into your router ( i.e., Airport ) - and test
- plug machine directly in your cable modem via ethernet if applicable, and test.
- take off all your machines but one from your network and test.

Does this occur with any website - try downloading large piece of software from other places - is this a consistent pattern of slow downloads? One I can think of right now - http://eclipse.org - about 100mb of download.

Did it all. Appears to happen with any website, whether I'm plugged in to Ethernet or Wireless, and on all three machines. Very frustrating.

vialli25

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I'm experiencing this problem too, albeit only with my late 2010 iMac.

Immediately after upgrading to Mavericks, my browsing and download speeds (particularly download speeds) became a lot LOT slower than they were before.

I know it's not a problem with my internet as I have a broadband monitor on my connection which is showing no problems whatsoever, and my 2013 Macbook Air is absolutely fine.

For instance, I tried to download a 15MB file today on my iMac and I was getting terrible download speeds of about 50kb/s on a 60MB connection. I downloaded the same file on my Macbook Air in about 5 seconds. Both computers were in the same physical place and I've also extended my network with an airport express in case it was a signal problem.

It's pretty evident that for whatever reason, Mavericks has caused the connection speed on my iMac to suffer quite noticeably.

I've tried with both Safari and Chrome and the problem seems to be with the iMac, not a particular browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.