iPad Anyone getting SquareTrade for their iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jplusc, Nov 2, 2013.

1. jplusc macrumors 6502a

Just curious. Also wondering about any past experiences with SquareTrade.

2. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

I got AppleCare+, but could be convinced to cancel and get SquareTrade if it's worth it and a good, legit service

3. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

A close friend had a really bad experience with ST. She registered 2 iPads and later they tried to renig on one. She won't go near them again. I opted for my usual: AppleCare+.

4. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I bought ST for the iPad Air after Apple pushed the replacement fee to $80. We'll see how it goes.

5. JTravers macrumors 6502a

ST for the iPad seems to be a good deal -- on sale for $99 with no deductible. Be aware that they only cover the purchase price of the iPad, and I believe Apple charges $300 for a replacement.

----------

Apple's deductible for iPads is still $49, I believe. Only the iPhone's deductible was raised to $79.

6. tmolloy macrumors newbie

Just buy the iPad with a credit card. Almost all of them double manufacture warranties. So now, I have a 1 year warranty from Apple and a 1 year warranty from Visa.

7. Oui macrumors 6502

AppleCare+ is the only way to go. The simplest and most hassle free of all.

8. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I was told by an apple care + representative that it cost $79 per incident with the ipad. Take that for what it is worth.

I got square trade, it was a few bucks cheaper (94 with a coupon) and there is not deductible. There standard policy covers $829 worth of replacements, so that is about 2.5 replacements or so. Pretty hard to beat.

I live near an apple store, and squaretrade allows me to have my ipad repaired/replaced there...so its was an obvious choice since there is no deductible.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I was told in the Apple store that the iPhone deductible is now $79, but the iPad is still $49.

10. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

11. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I had a great experience over a year ago. My kid dropped their iPhone and shattered the screen and dinged the case. I went out and purchased a new one. Told SquareTrade, and they just took the broken one and refunded my purchase price from AT&T. Very easy.

I don't know what their current prices are or if their policies have changed. AppleCare has also changed their policy since then. So I don't know how they compare.

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

ST uses 3rd-party repair shops that in turn use used/scavenged parts so if you go with SquareTrade always use Apple to do the actual repairs and just get ST to reimburse you.

----------

Yes, always always save your receipts.
    ST has an option of e-mailing or faxing them the receipt so you don't have to worry about finding it later but twice now I've sent them the receipt and then logged on months later to see that they had no receipt on file.

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

Couple of other points.

ST is a diminishing value policy...you have $829 to sped over the entire period...use it up before 2 or 3 years pass no more warranty.

Also, its not likely you will go with a OOW replacement for minor stuff so you could beat down the ST value and not have 2 replacements left since each is $299.

Applecare will repair all issues during the 2 years. You only pay $50 for the accidental damage replacements. You get 2 of those but your warranty continues for the whole time period.

Its hard to decide.