Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I gave up on movies about 4 years ago. But I did rip my tv shows and have never regretted that decision.

I watch all my tv shows on a regular basis plus when I travel outside the country internet isn't always accessible or even good enough to access Netflix.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Slowed down on it just because of limited hard drive space and don't want to use an external.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I'm still ripping.. Movies aren't too bad for me, it's the tv shows that are killing me.. All the seasons and adding all the metadata

Slow work, but I really like the outcome so far. So I'm going to stick with it

Good luck

isashach

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
I just don't get you guys... why do you buy/rent overpriced movies on ATV or on DVDs when you can get them for free in HD and just as quickly? Oh, and how on earth do you manage to use 1tb/100 movies?? I have a half full 2tb hard drive, where I keep 200-250 movies (half of them in 720p) + years of family photos!!

Glenn.955

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I used to use a RIP/Encode (2 step process) using handbrake for the encoding part and it was a PITA. But discovered that the recent version of Mac DVD Ripper Pro does it all in one step, so it is easy now. Just do a disk a day while I'm at work.

If only they made it easy to extract all the eps of a TV series from the DVD I'd be in heaven. I like to store everything on an external so I can access it from either of my ATV's.

(Note - I'm not associated with MDRP but will always give recommendations for good software... :D)

Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I just don't get you guys... why do you buy/rent overpriced movies on ATV or on DVDs when you can get them for free in HD and just as quickly? Oh, and how on earth do you manage to use 1tb/100 movies?? I have a half full 2tb hard drive, where I keep 200-250 movies (half of them in 720p) + years of family photos!!

Would you care to share how I can legally get HD movies for free?

I tend to buy movies and TV series through iTunes now as ripping is a pain. However, I recently picked up the entire Minder (a classic 80's comedy drama series) from Amazon for £50 so am currently working through ripping all 33 DVDs in the box!
To be honest, it's not the ripping itself that's painful, but tagging the things afterwards

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
I'll ditto the last comment that I'd love to know how to get HD movies for free... I'm assuming you mean Netflix, but that requires a fast enough internet connection which not everyone has unfortunately.

I still rip a few things that I can't find on DVD. I'm just about done with my collection... 85 days worth of TV shows will do that for you. Before you say anything, the vast majority of those were purchased through iTunes with ripping to fill in the gaps. I'm slowly, as I'm able, rebuying everything as it is released in a digital format... Partially, that's to help my own conscience, the economy or whatever. Mostly, it's because what you buy is just a better quality version than the rips I can produce, though that may just be my own lack of understanding...

Regardless, it may not be the most cost effective solution, but I like know that at home even if a company like Netflix folds or ups their prices or my internet provider puts a horribly restrictive cap, I can still watch anything I want, whenever I want.

At this point, my content is mine. I can hit shuffle and get a show from a week ago or 20 years ago. You'd be surprised some of the things you don't think about watching but you remember enjoying after you do watch it...

I've never tried Netflix, but do they let you pick a lot of seasons and then shuffle the order? Or do you have to pick everything you watch? And if you consciously pick it, what are you missing out on that you're not thinking about watching?

I'm not saying one or the other is bad. They both have their strong points and weaknesses. I'm just saying that for me, this works the best.

Just a thought...

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
How often does anyone re-watch a film? There are very few movies that people want to watch over and over again.

My family is just the opposite. We have about 20 to 30 movies we constantly watch over and over again. When you scroll through my AppleTV menu you see tons of movies never watched; but 80% of the time we pick something that we've already seen. All the other movies we haven't watch are those that are more "when in the mood" type of movies. Not every day do you want to watch Laurence of Arabia; but we watch Jackie Chan movies over and over.

Everyone finds their own way, that's what makes things great.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I am done ripping, we had 40 or so DVD's and they are now in iTunes. Except for some classic movies all future movies will be streamed (rented) through iTunes or Netflix.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
My family is just the opposite. We have about 20 to 30 movies we constantly watch over and over again.
To each their own but I would go crazy watching the same movie over and over, knowing that I only have limited time and could be missing something new.

...but we watch Jackie Chan movies over and over.
OK that explains it lol.

Michael

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
I'm still ripping.. Movies aren't too bad for me, it's the tv shows that are killing me.. All the seasons and adding all the metadata

I highly suggest Subler for movies and Identify for tv shows.

I used to spend a lot of time doing metadata and finally found a good solution using those 2 programs that I don't spend really any time on it anymore.

The only 'tricky' part is that file names need to be correct. Such as, 'The XFiles S1 EP1' etc

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Well I am just about done with all my movies, however the Family decided to ditch some movies we all do not like or watch, so I have removed them from our library, got some needed space back, and off to eBay those movies will go. Now only keeping what each of us likes, for me it is like all the Zombie movies, my son it is Harry Potter, Blade series, Diehard etc, and my wife only kept those movies only a woman can watch, like those muchy love stories etc.

What is nice about my original ATV is that now that we all have ATV2's, I use the ATV to hold all of my workout DVD's instead of using the original DVD's all the time, I now have the ATV connected to the TV in my Garage for working out each day, now I do not scratch my P90X dvd's anymore by constantly inserting and removing them from the DVD player :D

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
I don't own any DVDs. When I want to watch a movie, I rent it. If it isn't available in HD or available for rent yet, à la iTunes, I download it from somewhere else.

And before anyone says something, I don't watch most movies more than once.

isashach

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
Would you care to share how I can legally get HD movies for free?

For most people posting in this thread, getting HD movies from torrents is illegal. Fortunately for me, I live in a country so chill on downloading, to the point where there is a CDN for torrents so that the main ISPs can save money on bandwidth. Unfortunately for people living in the 'States, this is illegal, so better use Netflix or something.

No need to create unnecessary drama.

mwulf67

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
For most people posting in this thread, getting HD movies from torrents is illegal. Fortunately for me, I live in a country so chill on downloading, to the point where there is a CDN for torrents so that the main ISPs can save money on bandwidth. Unfortunately for people living in the 'States, this is illegal, so better use Netflix or something.

No need to create unnecessary drama.

I hear Somalia is lovely this time of year....:)

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
I've been ripping my collections for weeks. Still have ~100 DVDs left. I am now out of space and have to save up for more storage.

My next concern will be what to do with my BluRay discs. I have a license for the Windows version of Slysoft AnyDVD HD but no BluRay player that I can use on my Mac. :(

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
I don't rip anymore. I used to have a large DVD/BR collection and downsizing my life I only kept digital copies and a handful of BR discs of films that I would watch again. Everything else is now Netflix or rental. I'm fortunate to have sufficient bandwidth. I do keep a backup drive of the digital movies - just in case one fails.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Anyone Give up on Ripping Movies?
Yes and no.

I currently only rip films that I know I want to put on my iPhone for watching when I am travelling... I mainly also buy iTunes HD TV unless they series is available on Blu-ray (à la Modern Family and Season 3 onwards of The Big Bang Theory).

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
For me, it's just Netflix streaming these days. I still have my DVD collection, but I'll probably sell the physical DVD's at some point because I truly never use them anymore.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
This makes me think of the cartoon where it shows a pirated DVD vs one you buy:
Pirated: inseter disc... select play
Purchased: FBI warning.... trailers you can't skip.... threatening message about piracy (one a DVD you bought)... another FBI warning... a Blu ray advertisement... finally... the movie menu.

Yes, I've seen this one. .. and this explains why I wanted to rip in the first place. There are few things as aggravating as waiting several minutes to legally watch a movie that I legally own, just so the movie studio can tell me not to do it illegally. It is heaven to hit play and have the movie start immediately!

Hell, all those hours spent ripping... imagine what you could have done with them. Just my opinion.

You people do know that you are not required to sit in front of your computer and watch that little progress bar move from left to right across your screen right? :D

It's kind of a fire and forget kind of thing for me. Especially now that my back catalog is ripped, it is child's play to keep it current.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
I've just experimented with ripping a DVD to iso (as my WDTV and VLC can play iso images) problem is when I play the iso image in VLC it skips the FBI warnings (like it does with actual DVDs), but on the WDTV it it plays exactly how it would using a DVD player ie shows the warnings and trailers, although I can skip them easily I would prefer them not to be there.

so can I rip a DVD to iso but select (possibly manually) to remove the Warnings and trailers before the menu/movie? (ticking the auto 'remove FBI warnings' in anyDVD did not remove them)

also one movie when ripped to iso looks like it's going to load (shows the warning and then a sony picture animation) but then stays on the sony picture on the WDTV but works aOK in VLC, any idea how to cure that?

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I dont think I have ever ripped a DVD. Between iTunes, Netflix, Hulu and Icefilms I can watch pretty much anything I want. Never saw a need to rip a DVD and dont think I have even plucked a dusty DVD from my small collection in at least a year! ;)

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
i have seen people talk about jailbreaking their ATV2 so they can use Icefilms to watch movies. I guess you can pretty much get anything on that. others get theirs from usenet/torrents. i know they are not legal, but that isn't the question.

those of you familiar with these ways, do you still save/download movies and tv shows from usenet/torrents or do you just use Icefilms?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.