Eggtastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I have a 6+ now and am in dilemma. I found a couple of responses searching through various threads and was hoping to get all my answers here.

The s8 makes sense for price, the infinity display, and customization. A plus for me would also be that I am migrating to google services vs. apple.

The X would make sense since it has the better camera (from watching some youtube videos, but correct me if I am wrong), I have a retina MacBook so any iMessages can be answered on here, and of course the transition with all my apps would be very easy via backup. Plus it just works and with apple I have had very few problems.

The complaints I hear most between the two are: s8 features were great but wore off over time, the X is boring if you have had iOS for years (for me: I've had the 3gs, 4, samsung galaxy 3, 6+).

Has anyone tried the s8, s8+ to try something new and either love it, or just got fed up with whatever bothered you and went back to iPhone?

Camera is important to me as this is will be my main photo taker which would steer me towards the X, but based off some youtube videos the cameras on both aren't far off from each other.

I am aware the bias on the forum will go towards the X, but just wondering if any of you have tried the s8 (not in store, actually owned one) and either stuck with it or went with the X. Note 8 is out as its too big, and the 8,8+ are out as they have a similar build to the 6+ and I want something fresh.

Thanks

Harthag

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I have a 6+ now and am in dilemma. I found a couple of responses searching through various threads and was hoping to get all my answers here.

The s8 makes sense for price, the infinity display, and customization. A plus for me would also be that I am migrating to google services vs. apple.

The X would make sense since it has the better camera (from watching some youtube videos, but correct me if I am wrong), I have a retina MacBook so any iMessages can be answered on here, and of course the transition with all my apps would be very easy via backup. Plus it just works and with apple I have had very few problems.

The complaints I hear most between the two are: s8 features were great but wore off over time, the X is boring if you have had iOS for years (for me: I've had the 3gs, 4, samsung galaxy 3, 6+).

Has anyone tried the s8, s8+ to try something new and either love it, or just got fed up with whatever bothered you and went back to iPhone?

Camera is important to me as this is will be my main photo taker which would steer me towards the X, but based off some youtube videos the cameras on both aren't far off from each other.

I am aware the bias on the forum will go towards the X, but just wondering if any of you have tried the s8 (not in store, actually owned one) and either stuck with it or went with the X. Note 8 is out as its too big, and the 8,8+ are out as they have a similar build to the 6+ and I want something fresh.

Thanks
Funny you ask. I purchased and returned 3 iPhone 10s and exchanged 2 more all due to screen uniformity issues and banding. My last one that I got as a Genius Bar replacement was the best of the bunch but still some pink tint at the edges. Not worth $1000. I decided to give up, sold it on Swappa a few days ago and took a couple hundred loss in the end due to sales tax from original purchase. Sick of overpriced poor screens, iTunes, iCloud, lightning, lack of easy file transfer, complex solutions to easy problems (app closing), the push toward bluetooth music listening yet no support for anything other than SBC and AAC (only a few headphones support AAC), I could go on.

I've also recently tried the LG V30 and Pixel 2 (non-XL). Both have their own sets of issues which I won't get into, and also are not worth their cost. I swore off Samsung since the S5 but decided to buy an S8 from Best Buy yesterday, what the hell. They have $150 off instantly for Verizon if you upgrade, not a bill credit. So I got an S8 for $600, can't go wrong.

Perfection on the 1st try. The screen is white and is completely uniform. I don't need to view it at the perfect angle. There is some color shift, but the sweet spot is much larger than any iPhone X I tried.

The notch is an abomination, so much rationalization about this. Watching videos and pinching to zoom takes up the entire screen on the S8 and there's no notch obstructing anything. It's beautiful and symmetrical.

Ergonomics- similar to the iPhone 7 and X, the S8 is great to use one handed. It is a little narrower which I thought would annoy me but it doesn't.

Always on display- shows all the basics and notifications. Notifications remain private just like on the X until you authenticate. There's also a status LED that changes colors. And yeah, just having notifications in general is great.

You actually get a useful screen calibration tool with the S8. You can adjust temperature in addition to RGB sliders. The blue light filter at night is just as good as night shift was on the iPhone, for me.

Actual living wallpapers, if they are your thing. I installed the Pixel 2 live wallpapers apk (live Earth, beach, etc.) easily and they are fantastic. Not like the faux live wallpapers on the X.

The camera so far is fine for my use. I'm not into taking photos, but the photos I shot of my iPhone 7 that I also sold tonight (which the S8 is replacing) turned out pretty good. I shot 15 photos for the sale. On the iPhone I needed to email them to myself or use iTunes to transfer. On the S8 I simply dragged them all into a folder on my PC, done. And then deleted them using my PC. No convoluted iCloud / iTunes / sync process. Don't base your opinion on YouTube videos, you need to try the camera yourself to see if it works for you. May as well, you get a return period.

Placing apps into folders is quicker too. You create a folder and can just select what apps you want to put inside. On iPhones I always needed to manually drag all apps into whatever folders I wanted.

You get a headphone jack, if that is your thing. I like it. I can charge my phone and listen to headphones at the same time without a stupid dongle. Android 8 will hopefully enable the phone to support AptX HD and LDAC shortly. Both are enabled on the Pixel 2, I think Google now has the rights for those codecs / baked into the OS. The phone uses USB-C like the rest of the world, and there is a quick charger included in the box.

Android Pay, haven't used it yet. Everywhere I go that I use Apple Pay supports Android Pay or Samsung Pay so I'm not worried about it.

It's not all peachy on the S8. There is some lag here and there, but then again iOS 11 stuttered at times. It is a pain to go through and disable crap apps and uninstall others. Battery life isn't as good as I was getting on the X. I'd say it is comparable to my iPhone 7 on iOS 11 - which wasn't stellar but got me through the day. There is a mid and max power saving feature which should really help, have not tried either yet.

I don't like being stuck on Android 7.0 and the October security patch. But I don't do shady things with my phone so not a major deal. Still, Apple is king when it comes to updates and support.

The phone gets really warm during certain apps like Google Newsstand.

The face identification isn't secure but it is quick and get this...ready for it...you go straight to your home screen without a swipe or anything! Just look at the phone and you're home. What a novel concept!! The fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone is nowhere near as good as Touch ID. Placement of the sensor also is crazy. If you're a righty it is OK, but I feel like lefties will get really annoyed really fast by it.

Sorry for the long winded post, I saw your OP and thought hey, I just switched, may as well share. Who knows how long I will keep the S8. Prior Android switches have lasted no longer than 4 months. But this time it's just different. There are so many things I really hate about the iPhone and it's only getting worse, in my humble opinion. The S8 has been a surprise and just hits on so many features I want in a phone and I'm really happy with it. For $600 is worth a try. Good luck if you try an S8 or S8+, again, you can always return it if it doesn't work out!

Last edited:

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Went from a S8 to 7 Plus and will most certainly get a X in the next couple of weeks.
I’ve had many Samsung’s from the S4 to the S8 and many other androids through the years along with a few Nokia’s (Window phones) and BBS thrown in the mix.
For me and my needs and usage this iPhone is the nest phone that I’ve ever had.
Samsung’s especially the newer ones are nice (hardware wise) but they are start to stutter and lag pretty quickly and this isn’t just me saying it. Many many friends have the same experiences with them.
The Apple ecosystem just flat works (I also have a 10.5 iPad Pro).

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
As you have a MacBook you will love the extra integration among all your devices that Apple offers. Namely:
- iMessage
- FaceTime audio
- able to pick up cell calls over st your Mac
- photo sync with your Mac via iCloud (including faces and memories/ albums)
- airdrop
- continuity
- iCloud Drive

For me it’s he software that makes all the difference. I use the above daily and they reduce the friction of my computing experience.

A Samsung would have none of the above - it would in essence be a stand alone device that is not able to talk to my computer or iPad and that I would have to manage all the above manually or flat out not be able to do.

Also the lack of updates on the android platform would drive me nuts. I love being able to update my phone yearly and get new features and enhancements, extending its useful life to 24-36 months. Finally the UI polish is not there with android. Simple things like the rubber band effect when scrolling, apps being optimised specifically for the phone format etc.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
Both are high end phones, realistically you are asking should you go android vs iOS as both phones are pretty phenomenal hardware wise.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
How is the screen quality holding up against the s8? My wallpaper(dark night with stars) looks so beautiful, I can' s looking at it. Maybe the curves gives the wallpapera 3D effect, I don't know. But it looks just mesmerizing.

Is it at least the same on the X? I'm on the fence to get a X..

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Since OP already knows the iPhone, I’ll focus my comments on the S8.

Pros of the S8:
- screen: no silly notch, curved screen, edge screen utility
- expandable storage with SD, dual sim model available
- always on display, very useful as a clock, notification icons
- notification LED
- (limited) file system for centralized media file management
- better hotspot handling
- has headphone jack
- has a clipboard for multiple copy and paste items
- Samsung has its own gear 360 headsets
- A LOT CHEAPER

Cons of the S8:
- poor battery management during standby, it constantly asked permission to put apps to sleep, yet the standby battery drain is still much worse than iOS
- Samsung is terrible with OS update and security patch
- fingerprint scanner is really bad, face scan only works under good lighting and is not secure
- the above two points hinder my desire to use Samsung Pay, Android pay, banking apps
- full backup/restore function is no where as good
- Samsung’s desktop software supporting the phone is very poor in quality, and extremely buggy
- no dual camera for portrait mode
- no mute hardware button
- no dual speakers
- no discounted Android play cards like iTunes cards from Costco
- no local flagship store for tech support and repair centre
- family sharing and parental control isn’t as good
- small selection of accessories

Eggtastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Funny you ask. I purchased and returned 3 iPhone 10s and exchanged 2 more all due to screen uniformity issues and banding. My last one that I got as a Genius Bar replacement was the best of the bunch but still some pink tint at the edges. Not worth $1000. I decided to give up, sold it on Swappa a few days ago and took a couple hundred loss in the end due to sales tax from original purchase. Sick of overpriced poor screens, iTunes, iCloud, lightning, lack of easy file transfer, complex solutions to easy problems (app closing), the push toward bluetooth music listening yet no support for anything other than SBC and AAC (only a few headphones support AAC), I could go on.

I've also recently tried the LG V30 and Pixel 2 (non-XL). Both have their own sets of issues which I won't get into, and also are not worth their cost. I swore off Samsung since the S5 but decided to buy an S8 from Best Buy yesterday, what the hell. They have $150 off instantly for Verizon if you upgrade, not a bill credit. So I got an S8 for $600, can't go wrong.

Perfection on the 1st try. The screen is white and is completely uniform. I don't need to view it at the perfect angle. There is some color shift, but the sweet spot is much larger than any iPhone X I tried.

The notch is an abomination, so much rationalization about this. Watching videos and pinching to zoom takes up the entire screen on the S8 and there's no notch obstructing anything. It's beautiful and symmetrical.

Ergonomics- similar to the iPhone 7 and X, the S8 is great to use one handed. It is a little narrower which I thought would annoy me but it doesn't.

Always on display- shows all the basics and notifications. Notifications remain private just like on the X until you authenticate. There's also a status LED that changes colors. And yeah, just having notifications in general is great.

You actually get a useful screen calibration tool with the S8. You can adjust temperature in addition to RGB sliders. The blue light filter at night is just as good as night shift was on the iPhone, for me.

Actual living wallpapers, if they are your thing. I installed the Pixel 2 live wallpapers apk (live Earth, beach, etc.) easily and they are fantastic. Not like the faux live wallpapers on the X.

The camera so far is fine for my use. I'm not into taking photos, but the photos I shot of my iPhone 7 that I also sold tonight (which the S8 is replacing) turned out pretty good. I shot 15 photos for the sale. On the iPhone I needed to email them to myself or use iTunes to transfer. On the S8 I simply dragged them all into a folder on my PC, done. And then deleted them using my PC. No convoluted iCloud / iTunes / sync process. Don't base your opinion on YouTube videos, you need to try the camera yourself to see if it works for you. May as well, you get a return period.

Placing apps into folders is quicker too. You create a folder and can just select what apps you want to put inside. On iPhones I always needed to manually drag all apps into whatever folders I wanted.

You get a headphone jack, if that is your thing. I like it. I can charge my phone and listen to headphones at the same time without a stupid dongle. Android 8 will hopefully enable the phone to support AptX HD and LDAC shortly. Both are enabled on the Pixel 2, I think Google now has the rights for those codecs / baked into the OS. The phone uses USB-C like the rest of the world, and there is a quick charger included in the box.

Android Pay, haven't used it yet. Everywhere I go that I use Apple Pay supports Android Pay or Samsung Pay so I'm not worried about it.

It's not all peachy on the S8. There is some lag here and there, but then again iOS 11 stuttered at times. It is a pain to go through and disable crap apps and uninstall others. Battery life isn't as good as I was getting on the X. I'd say it is comparable to my iPhone 7 on iOS 11 - which wasn't stellar but got me through the day. There is a mid and max power saving feature which should really help, have not tried either yet.

I don't like being stuck on Android 7.0 and the October security patch. But I don't do shady things with my phone so not a major deal. Still, Apple is king when it comes to updates and support.

The phone gets really warm during certain apps like Google Newsstand.

The face identification isn't secure but it is quick and get this...ready for it...you go straight to your home screen without a swipe or anything! Just look at the phone and you're home. What a novel concept!! The fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone is nowhere near as good as Touch ID. Placement of the sensor also is crazy. If you're a righty it is OK, but I feel like lefties will get really annoyed really fast by it.

Sorry for the long winded post, I saw your OP and thought hey, I just switched, may as well share. Who knows how long I will keep the S8. Prior Android switches have lasted no longer than 4 months. But this time it's just different. There are so many things I really hate about the iPhone and it's only getting worse, in my humble opinion. The S8 has been a surprise and just hits on so many features I want in a phone and I'm really happy with it. For $600 is worth a try. Good luck if you try an S8 or S8+, again, you can always return it if it doesn't work out!

I really appreciate the long winded post as these were the points that I needed to hear!

Reactions: Harthag

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I had an S8+ and got rid of it for the X.

-I actually don't like the "infinity" display on the S8 It isn't useful, makes the edges look strange on some apps and made the phone awkward feeling to hold and use.

-Unlocking is no contest Face ID is far superior to anything the S8 offers. Iris scanning is good but you actually do have to look at the phone just right and line up your eyes for it to work so it is significantly worse than Face ID. Finger print scanner location is just stupid, I already am not a fan of back finger print readers and then to have it so high and near the camera is just dumb.

- Quality of apps despite what I hear all the time is much lower on Android than it is on iOS there are a lot of options for apps that aren't on both, but overall the quality for the majority of things I use is much better on iOS.

Really the only thing I miss from my S8+ is samsung pay, being able to actually use mobile payments at basically every store was really nice.

Eggtastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
NJ

-I actually don't like the "infinity" display on the S8 It isn't useful, makes the edges look strange on some apps and made the phone awkward feeling to hold and use.

-Unlocking is no contest Face ID is far superior to anything the S8 offers. Iris scanning is good but you actually do have to look at the phone just right and line up your eyes for it to work so it is significantly worse than Face ID. Finger print scanner location is just stupid, I already am not a fan of back finger print readers and then to have it so high and near the camera is just dumb.

- Quality of apps despite what I hear all the time is much lower on Android than it is on iOS there are a lot of options for apps that aren't on both, but overall the quality for the majority of things I use is much better on iOS.

Really the only thing I miss from my S8+ is samsung pay, being able to actually use mobile payments at basically every store was really nice.

Thanks for the input. I know some hate the infinity edge for me I enjoy it. Tough decision for me as that samsung pay working everywhere is nice.

What apps did you find worse off? I heard of snapchat, but they apparently are making a big update for android since a lot of people complained.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for the input. I know some hate the infinity edge for me I enjoy it. Tough decision for me as that samsung pay working everywhere is nice.

What apps did you find worse off? I heard of snapchat, but they apparently are making a big update for android since a lot of people complained.
I honestly feel like most of the big apps just aren't as good on Android. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Email, etc. Using them back to back there are just things that aren't as good. The only thing I really miss about Android apps is 3rd party keyboards, the amount of access they have on android vs iOS makes them much more customizable and useful on Android.

Reactions: juanmaasecas

jonallan

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
After switching from an S8+, the only things I think I wish my iPhone X had are the S8/S8+ price point, MST technology for payments and system-wide ad blocking.

As others have stated, the S8/S8+ is good option and it ultimately boils down to whether or not you want Android or iOS. When I had the S8+, Pulse Messenger was the key piece of software that helped me adapt to Android (and deal with not having iMessage). I was able to send/receive SMS across all of my devices, including my iPad and MacBook. The combination of Google and Samsungs eco-systems took care of the rest, as they do a decent job at syncing all the other data across devices/computers.

As for apps, there was the hurdle of dealing with two separate app stores (Google Play and Galaxy Apps) and some apps just didn't seem to work as well as their iOS counterpart. You already stated Snapchat, which I think was due to a limitation by Samsung on what the devs had access to with the physical camera. I don't recall all of the details, but I think Snapchat was basically just taking a screenshot of what the camera app displayed on the screen versus being able to utilize the actual photo file. As for other apps, for me it seemed to be performance and power management. I routinely used the 'Close All' option to kill any background apps.

Other than that, security/privacy concerns and slow cadence of updates with Samsung are the only other things that you might want to look into if are deciding between iOS and Galaxy phones.

Harthag

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

I'm glad this thread is carrying on in a logical and civil manner! I also don't like the edge display, I just leave it off. Bixby is useless, also disabled. Won't sign up for a Samsung account and won't use Samsung app store. My apps perform about the same on Android and iOS, for the most part. There is a slight clunkiness all around, for lack of a better description. I don't have a ton of apps though. A lot of it has to do with the phone. For example my business VOIP app is RingCentral. On the LG V30 the screen times out after 30 seconds while on calls and if voicemails are longer they just stop playing. Proximity sensor is totally ignored. On the S8 the screen doesn't time out during calls or voice mails. Same performance as iOS for me.

Using the Pixel 2, Android 8.0 is buggy as hell. Auto (adaptive) brightness is broken in stock Android. I'd rather have a stable 7.0 than bug ridden 8.0. When 8.1 releases soon I think that's when the S8 will get updated to 8 since the betas have rolled out for it.

@silverblack - you can mute the phone using the physical volume button. It silences everything at once. Except for media playback, but that's fine.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin

Thanks
I went from the s8 to the iPhone X I like the iphone a lot better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.