Anyone go from case to caseless now ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by richxps, Aug 16, 2013.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Just wondering did anyone decide to just go caseless now and or use a full body skin? I've had cases but I'm thinking to just go with a full skin now

2. Warcake macrumors regular

I tried going caseless for like a month, luckily I never dropped it, but a few shallow dents appeared due to normal wear and tear. Not having a case is a no no for me since I'm on a damn 2-year contract. (Non US) I wish there were skins with a thin layer of shock absorbent material. Man that'd be sweet.

3. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

I love going caseless, but I get paranoid even just having it next to me in bed without any protection. Eventually I might get there, but in the mean time I have moved to a screen protector, bumper, back protector combo

4. harlemexplosion macrumors member

Unless you live in a world with padded walls, I doubt anyone can go without a case without ending up with some minor scuffles at minimum. Phones don't have to fall to be damaged. They can be bumped on the train, hit by an old lady's stick, or just try save you from a short fall yourself.

Of course, if you don't mind having a phone with quite a bit of scuffles, then by all means go without a case. As for me, I always tend to freak out without one. I feel like I'll end up dropping it any second.

5. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I may go caseless in the event that I don't upgrade to the 5S, or not, because the iPhone 5 is already SO thin.

6. Warcake macrumors regular

I actually have difficulty holding it naked at times since its so thin. Having a case on provides the right amount of thickness.

7. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I agree. Having a glass screen protector and a thin case (personally using the Spigen Neo Hybrid), I think this gives it the perfect thickness and weight. Still a shame to hide the iPhone's design, though. :rolleyes:

8. viewfly, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Anyone go from case to caseless now ?

I always used a case like the Switcheasy Tones that gives 5- sided protection with a front lip. I don't use a front screen protector and it works out fine. A port for the Lightning connector help guide it in, preventing scratches at the bottom.

I've tried naked, but collecting nicks on the bevel is extremely easy. Just placing it down on a table is a problem.

For the last two weeks I've been trying a bumper. The Neo Hybrid EX Slim by Spigen, metal slate color for the black iPhone 5. Not using the supplied screen protectors for front or back. It seems to be a perfect compromise.

Lightweight and slimmer than the Tones, it shows off the phones back clearly, absorbs bumps to the edges and the front and back lip do the job. Not being enclosed in a case, the back metal is exposed and the phone stays cooler. Plus, the silicone buttons gives a naked feel to the phones buttons. Very easy to install and remove when I decide to use my LifeProof Fre or another case.

I could see using the back screens perhaps. But it's working well for now. It's a much better bumper than the original iPhone 4 types. Gives enough grip to be better than a naked phone. I swear the reason Apple makes these phones so thin is to allow us to encase them and still have them thin.

9. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Cause I always hold my iphone in hand, I always knocked it on doors, table, etc so caseless will definetely made my white iphone 5 dings and scratches on the aluminium.

Bumper is the way to go, plus front and back screen protector.

10. AppleFreak29 macrumors newbie

Sister went caseless one week. After a week of finger prints and crud from her daughter she dropped it in my driveway and cracked the screen and put some real nice dents in the side of the enclosure. $150 later (new screen) the case hasn't came off.

Myself on the other hand, I ran without a case for about 3 months but had several dangerous opportunities with my occupation and chose to put it in a slim case that didn't take all of the thinness from the phone.

Check out 'Slim Armor' I am satisfied. Not horrible wear for the 3-4 months I have been using it. I work at a Silica Sand Transload facility so it gets a work out between sand hitting it and the heat and its holding up very nice.

11. OhSixTJ macrumors newbie

I run without a case. Only broke the screen once but that was my fault for forgetting the phone was between my legs while getting out of my jeep. No biggie, its just a phone.

12. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I have not seen one case that makes the phone look any better than what it does so I stopped buying cases and instead bought a hard graft skinny sleeve that holds my phone and credit card.

13. Pinkie Pie macrumors regular

I put a decal on the back of mine and gradually stopped using a case at all, though I'm getting bored with that and am about to blow a bunch of money on pretty Etsy cases.

The only signs of wear on my phone are the scuff marks all over the metal band, courtesy of . . . the cases put on it to protect it from scuff marks. :rolleyes:

14. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I used to go caseless, but since installing a glass screen shield, I don't want to risk chipping so I just used a slim case

15. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

I have bodyguardz full body protection on my iPhone 5, but still the narrow band is exposed....and I wouldn't dare to go case less, as i would hate a single scratch mark on the phone :D :D

and my black phone will easily get scratch marks compared to silver/white

16. rjkgr macrumors regular

i use to go caseless but then i cracked my screen and people were asking 100 to fix it and buying a bumper case for 5 dollars seems better

17. ravinder08 macrumors regular

Yeah be careful you might get pregnant.:D

18. sim0n macrumors member

i don't use any case and i have the black iphone 5, yes it has scratches and the paint is wearing off in some places but it doesn't bother me one bit, it actually adds some character to it haha

19. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I went from a full case to a pinlo. It is the closer I will get to naked. Practically as slim as naked, but protected from scratches. I plan on testing the Desmay too.

20. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I have got an IP5 on my radar for an upgrade in the new year even tho my contract ends next week.

I have an iPhone for as a test run for iOS to see if I like it (which I do) and my first two weeks of owning the handset I only had a sock type case so when I used the phone I would have to go caseless! I was petrified of dropping it.

Luckily Friday my case mate tough case arrived. Now I can sleep easy!

When I do get my ip5 tho a case mate tough case will be my first purchase.

21. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've owned all the iPhones, and all have been cased....I favour Stilgut, and my current phone ( IP5 32GB) lives in it's case when out an d about. At home, it is sometimes placed on a Just-Mobile stand, but for the most part it remains in it's flip....I have yet to have a single mark or scratch on any of them...I don't do screen protecters either, as I've yet to find one that fits properly, but once again...not a single mark.