Anyone go from honeycomb tablet to ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gabe3, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Gabe3 macrumors newbie

I was about to pull the trigger on a honeycomb tablet. first I was looking at the transformer and then the thrive. now I'm thinking about the ipad again. basically I want a tablet with the best resale value, thats got to be the ipad right now. I know current tegra 2 honeycomb tablets will be worth half what they are now once tegra 3 hits at the end of the year. plus, honeycomb only has 300 tablet apps, ipad has 90k. A windows 8 tablet is really what I want, cause I'll have a device that has a tablet OS and a desktop OS under it. when those come out, I can sell my ipad and laptop. those are awhile from now, and I'd like a tablet now. I'm curious if anyone went from a honeycomb tablet to a ipad, and why? if you sold your ipad and went to honeycomb tablet, feel free to add as well.

thanks

2. radiogoober, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Apple of course will have the best resale value.

BTW hows life in Richard.

3. erawsd macrumors 6502

I was in the same boat, I actually just ordered my iPad this morning.

Initially, I blew off the iPad for a Transformer tab because of all the hardware advantages (Higher Res, Usb ports), the "openness" of the android OS, and the home screen is leagues ahead of the iPad. I was so happy the day it arrived...

... after a few weeks the disappointment settled in and I realized I was hardly using it. I really enjoyed all of the above, but the app marketplace is abysmal. I don't even care if an app is useful, I just want something to entertain me and kill some time -- I could find nothing. I started looking into an iPad again, this time I focused on the apps, and I knew I made a huge mistake.

Like you, I'm really waiting on Windows 8. If they can get devs to support the touch interface, I think it'll be pretty amazing, remoting into my desktop is mostly all I did with my transformer.

4. drews macrumors newbie

I didn't sell my iPad 2 (not gonna happen) but I did buy an Asus Transformer. It's actually an interesting tablet, especially with the keyboard dock, but let's just say it's no threat to the iPad.

5. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The Windows 8 touch layer UI looks sweet. If only that was the total device UI, and not have desktop Windows underneath, hogging up the system resources.
    The jump between the two, will be like having a nice, hot shower, and then having someone suddenly turn the hot water off. :D

6. brdwygurl, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

brdwygurl macrumors regular

Not exactly what you are thinking of...

But I had a rooted nook color running honeycomb. I thought it would meet my needs as an inexpensive tablet, because I have an iphone 4 and was looking for something a little larger for home use. After 3 months I sold it so I could purchase an ipad 2. :)

7. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I agree that moving between the two UIs will be a dramatic context switch; but I also thinking that having the desktop shell there is necessary for Windows 8 on tablets to make any progress. Without the desktop shell it'll be the same story as with Honeycomb, Playbook and Touchpad; the UIs might have some advantages but they aren't enough to overcome the massive head-start in tablet software that the iPad has. It might be even worse for a pure Windows 8 tablets as it's going to start even further behind the iPad.

Including the desktop shell means that Windows 8 has at least one selling point over an iPad, you can dock it and use all your old software in the same way as before. Personally that might interest me because I compile code on my laptop and that's not going to be possible on an iPad anytime soon; however I don't know now many people have similar desires.

On the downside having the desktop shell available will slow down development of tablet software on Windows because some developers will think that their existing desktop software will be "good enough" on tablets. This will be particularly the case if HTML/JS turns out to be the only way to write tablet software. I think the best compromise would be to for the desktop shell to only be available when a mouse and keyboard are attached, sadly I doubt MS will be that brave.

8. Gabe3, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

Gabe3 thread starter macrumors newbie

the reason why you didn't like honeycomb on the nook color was because it's laggy. once the source code for honeycomb is released by google, it should run well on the color. the source code probably won't come out till ice cream sandwich is released.

I probably wouldn't buy a windows 8 tablet if it didn't have the desktop shell. the biggest complaint about current tablets is a laptop can do far more for less money. a windows 8 tablet should change that, cause it should be the best of both worlds. being able to run VLC player to play any type of video possible will be great. plus you can download whatever you want, unzip it, and use it on the tablet without needing a actual desktop or laptop. I'd spend most of my time in the tablet UI, but when I need stuff like that, its there. It may not be a pleasant experience, but thats the nature of the beast. They should be able to network, printing and file sharing would be nice.

Having the desktop shell might slow down tablet app development. mobile phones will probably be what drives development, WP7 app market is growing well. all those apps will probably get updates to be compatible and look good on a tablet. developers who are developing for WP7 phones, would be developing for tablets as well.

9. erawsd macrumors 6502

Actually, having the "old Windows" underneath is exactly what gets me so excited about the new OS. Its like having the best of both worlds, and the way you can literally put the two side by side looks like a brilliant design. If that costs a few extra resources, I don't mind it.

10. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

When I was reading this thread there was an ad for some crappy Android tabs. If you sign up for the store's newsletter, you could win an iPad2... Enough said...

11. erzhik macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I went from iPad to Xoom.

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I started with an iPad 2. Got the Acer Iconia tab, then the Asus Transformer, then the Samsung Galaxy 10.1. Still have all of them. I go "eeny meeny minee mo" to decide which one to play with each day. Not surpisingly the iPad 2 only gets picked 1/4 the time.

13. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

If this is at all one of the concerns you have, even without VLC you can play just about any video format on an iPad with apps like GoodPlayer, etc.

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wow, that surprises me. I just bought an HP TouchPad but am keeping my iPad 2. The iPad 2 is still my favorite of the two.