iPad Anyone go from iPad Air to Mini with Retina

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wicked1, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I got the ultimate Air with 128GB and AT&T LTE but thinking of going to Mini with Retina 128GB AT&T LTE.

I love the air just mini fits better in my hand and for what I want to do I think.

Anyone do this and regret or not regret it?

2. kaielement macrumors 65816

This guy I work with went from an iPad 2 to a iPad mini Retina and loves it. I asked him about it and he said the portability out waged the screen size. And he said that now that the hard wear was the same no reason not to. He said that was why he didn't buy the original mini the specs being to old. That being said if you find that the Air is just not portable enough for your needs then that my friend is the biggest factor.

3. Angler macrumors regular

I went from air to rmini, glad I did. It depends what you want to use the device for.

4. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

I also went air to mini. While I loved the air, it was just a little too big, especially since I also have a 13 in macbook. The mini is just amazing. It is so light that it hardly feels like a piece of technology. Much more intimate for reading as well and for larger websites, a double tap to zoom is all you need.

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

iPhone is even more mobile than the ipad mini. Does it not suit your needs?

6. supermoix macrumors newbie

I did, went from an iPad 4 32GB 3g to a 16G 3g iPad Mini with retina. No regrets. Also went from a 2012 Macbook Pro 13" to a high spec'd Mac Book Air 11".

Moving to a lighter, more mobile hardware so I can work more efficiently while commuting, traveling and tighter spaces, The Mini helps me to accomplish this. I do not plan to upgrade my iPhone size if they decide to make a bigger screen.

Minimal gear, high productivity.

7. Kangda macrumors member

I switched from the iPad Air to the Mini Retina. I prefer the portability and size of the Mini Retina. The Air has a great screen, better sound, and better color, but I found myself having to hold it further back to see the screen. The smaller size of the Mini Retina is just right for me. Portability is important to me.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'm just the opposite as I went from the rMini to the Air. I enjoy the full size screen and the narrower bezels. Apple did a nice job making it somewhat smaller.

9. mfr1340 macrumors regular

Air to rmini

I had them all. I thought I would use both the Air and the rmini. But after using the rmini, I wasn't using the Air at all. I was able to return the Air and I have been using rmini. I had the mini but with my poor eye sight it was hard to use, but I liked the size and weight. The rmini made it great to use for reading.

10. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Looking at that same thing don't need the Air as I want to go more portable besides I use a 24" monitor on my Mac if Inneed a bigger screen, seems to me makes more sense to give up my Air and go Ultimate LTE rMini with AT&T

11. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

iPhone is too small 4.0" mini is 7.9" and Air is 9.7" but Air and Mini can't be used as a phone yet.

I personally am trying to keep my iPhone 5 swap my iPad Air for a Mini and move from a 13" MBPS to a 13" MBA to make my load a little lighter now that I will be traveling more although I do like my iPad Air a lot just too big

12. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I went from an original iPad to a retina mini, so not quite what you asked.

But I can address the change in screen size: I don't regret the smaller screen.
    Some cons (from the point of view of the things I do):
    - It's not as good for taking notes and drawing sketches (BTW, I use a cheapo stylus).
    - It's a little worse for web browsing and watching video.
    Pros:
    - generally more comfortable and convenient to hold and handle
    - MUCH better portability! So in a sense it's better for taking notes and drawing sketches just because I'm much more likely to actually have it with me.
    - very good for reading

Now that I'm used to the portability, it would be hard for me to go back to a 9.7" tablet. (Well, unless my eyes start to go... you want pretty sharp eyes with the retina mini.)

13. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I did the opposite !

I moved from the iPad Mini - Retina to the iPad Air.

I wanted the extra real estate and my eyesight is another reason.

I agree the rMini is very portable but on balance so is the Air for me.

Happy days.

:D

14. Josieb1 macrumors member

Josieb1

I just did. I still have the AIR as well. I wanted the retina mini for traveling.

15. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

I'm looking to make the move soon. Just waiting for another monthly price drop at Best Buy (have a bunch of gift cards for there). Assuming there's one coming since there was one in Feb and one in March. I went from Mini to Air and have been fine with it for like 3 months and now i'm getting the itch to go back. Saw a rMini in Staples last weekend and was sold. I could see a difference in colors that others have discussed, but it didn't look bad IMO. Trying to sell my Air (64gb Wifi only), but not having much luck in anyone wanting it. Will probably just pick up the rMini, then sell of the Air whenever I can.

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I will likely be switching from an Air to a rMini tomorrow. Now that I am almost done with school I want more portability. My wife has the original Mini and I love the size of it.