iPhone X Anyone going from iPhone X to XS Max?

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
That's my quandary. Wouldn't get the XS but Max seems to be worthwhile to me because of the bigger screen. Anyone else going from X to XS? X to XS Max? Any views?

Reactions: Tommi Jon

dstew201

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2016
Me.... ONLY due to being in IUP, and it was 3 bucks more per month for the latest.

I'm not terribly excited this year for the phone, or rather I'm more excited about the watch!

Vordaz

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Miami, FL
That's my quandary. Wouldn't get the XS but Max seems to be worthwhile to me because of the bigger screen. Anyone else going from X to XS? X to XS Max? Any views?
I personally got it because I wanted the bigger screen and the bigger battery. From what I was reading with some of the reviews that are out, most people are getting 12 or more hours with a single charge. I'm not on IUP or any carrier financing, but with how the prices are going with these Iphones I'm going to stay with the Iphone at least 3 years minimum or more.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/18/...-xs-max-review-camera-processor-battery-price

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Absolutely. I miss the screen size of the plus phones so I felt it was worth the upgrade this year. I’m on the iPhone Upgrade Program.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I am going to the Xs Max from the X as well.

Originally, I went from the 6 to the 7 Plus then to the X. The 7 Plus was a little clunky to me because of all the wasted space around the screen.

I wasn't unhappy with the X's size... I just simply want to try the bigger screen size for 12 months lol

I will say since I have watched the review from the verge, it is kind of a let down to not get an extra row of apps or get more text in safari over the X (I didn't pay close enough attention during the event)....that may ultimately push me back to the Xs within 14 days....we will see.

AudreyHorne

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
I am going to the Xs Max from the X as well.

Originally, I went from the 6 to the 7 Plus then to the X. The 7 Plus was a little clunky to me because of all the wasted space around the screen.

I wasn't unhappy with the X's size... I just simply want to try the bigger screen size for 12 months lol

I will say since I have watched the review from the verge, it is kind of a let down to not get an extra row of apps or get more text in safari over the X (I didn't pay close enough attention during the event)....that may ultimately push me back to the Xs within 14 days....we will see.
It is interesting to me how this will all play out! I also ordered a XS Max for delivery Friday and have been scouring reviews all day. In contrast to The Verge's review, Mashable's review cites a column view present in Safari on the XS Max that isn't there on the X or XS: "Even websites like the New York Times and National Geographic show more content with columns." This might only be in landscape, but it makes me think Safari might fare better than say Twitter. The Verge review video, to my knowledge, doesn't mention Safari, only apps like Slack and Twitter. Twitter has always been the same amount of info on the Plus/Max as the smaller devices, which does make me extremely sad. I am very excited to see what it is like in day to day use!

awhitmer83

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
Kentucky
I initially preordered the XS, but I ended up adding a Max for another line yesterday so I can decide which one I want when they get here on Friday. The camera is a huge deal for me so I knew I'd upgrade, but after holding the case for my husband's Max I decided it was time to go big.

jsmitty

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2016
NC
Yes. X to XS Max on IUP. I missed the size of my 7+ and it's just a little more a month on the IUP rate.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
It is interesting to me how this will all play out! I also ordered a XS Max for delivery Friday and have been scouring reviews all day. In contrast to The Verge's review, Mashable's review cites a column view present in Safari on the XS Max that isn't there on the X or XS: "Even websites like the New York Times and National Geographic show more content with columns." This might only be in landscape, but it makes me think Safari might fare better than say Twitter. The Verge review video, to my knowledge, doesn't mention Safari, only apps like Slack and Twitter. Twitter has always been the same amount of info on the Plus/Max as the smaller devices, which does make me extremely sad. I am very excited to see what it is like in day to day use!
Good point. That definitely was twitter. Maybe there is hope for safari. :Fingers crossed:

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
Yes. On an X, and bought a XS Max. Use youtube a lot, and while the zoom in works, I can't stand cutting off video for some reason.. Prefer to see everything so always find myself reverting to the original size, which is smaller. Hoping the max will give me a better experience with bigger original video size.

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
I just went from an iPhone X to my old 6S Plus. Someone just bought my iPhone X at my asking price on Craigslist. And this is all part of the plan... XS Max arriving Friday!

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Yes. No choice last year so this year I went back to plus size. I got the case in already and it’s really not that much bigger. I can post a pic showing the different if you want.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Going from X to Xs Max. Missed the Plus size phone I had prior to the X. Going to keep the X as a spare unless I can sell it for a decent price.

ramblapacifica

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2010
seattle
Yes. On an X, and bought a XS Max. Use youtube a lot, and while the zoom in works, I can't stand cutting off video for some reason.. Prefer to see everything so always find myself reverting to the original size, which is smaller. Hoping the max will give me a better experience with bigger original video size.
love my X, went for a max this year.
1. bigger display, want to try it out and see if i can dispense with my iPad mini that isn't going to get updated
2.improved camera
3. better battery
4. can afford it
will try it for a year and if i dont like the size will drop back to whatever replaces XS next year.

Reactions: roncron

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
I just went from an iPhone X to my old 6S Plus. Someone just bought my iPhone X at my asking price on Craigslist. And this is all part of the plan... XS Max arriving Friday!
I went from an X (sold for 80% of retail) to a 7+ (sold for 50% of retail) to a 6s that I currently hate. Downgrading phoens sucks, can't wait for Friday.

So yes I'm technically going from an X to the max even though i haven't had the X for about a month now. I do miss the OLED screen and just the premium feel of the device. I've always wanted a bigger screen so here it finally is.

Reactions: Bootleg Gucci

swarlos

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2015
Yep I am and I’m super stoked to get it. Kind of have missed having a big screen phone for the last year.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68010
Jan 27, 2011
I might be. Picking it up on Friday to try it out. I also have a regular XS pre-ordered (originally my first choice). If I don’t like the Max because it’s too big, I’ll return it and open the XS. But if I do end up liking it, I’ll be returning the regular XS unopened.

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
IUP and bigger screen were enough. But the reviews are suggesting significantly better camera (Gruber), plus better LTE (MacDailyNews says "All hail Gigabit-class LTE with 4x4 MIMO and Licensed Assisted Access [LAA]), plus the upgrade to use T-Mobile 600 MHz band. Come on Friday!

blairh

macrumors 68040
Dec 11, 2007
Yes, I am. I'm a former Plus user and I'm curious how I'll like such a device with such a large screen now. I see it as a one year test run and then I'll commit to an iPhone next fall.

Azeroth1

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
I am doing this. Mainly because gifting my X to a family member still on an iPhone 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.