Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youngmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
London
It will be interesting to know. Is the mac Mini same power as MBP 13 M1 and more powerful than MBA M1.
I got lucky that I could return a MBP 16 3 weeks old which was a replacement for a broken one from April 2020.
I don't need to through the hassle of selling waiting for the UPS pick up tomorrow.
So know i am between the MBA and Mac Mini. I noticed that i don't really use a laptop when i am on the road much. I do video editing short videos nothing too crazy but most of the time at home. I love having desktop setup and a big screen (even with laptop i change them to desktop set up).
The only thing i think might annoy me is connecting external webcam and speakers, how does microphone works on mini...
Looks like a mini can allow you a great desktop set up but you might end up adding accessories and can defeat the purpose.
What do you think or do you have suggestion or any comments? Thanks guys.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I have a 2020 top of the line 16-inch MacBook Pro with 32GB RAM. I use it in clamshell mode with a Twelve South BookArc vertical stand, Dell U3219Q 32-inch 4K monitor, Logitech BRIO HD Webcam, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Trackpad and a B&O Beosound A1 2nd Gen Bluetooth speaker when I'm home. I love the minimal setup (1 Apple USB-C Thunderbolt 3 cable powers the MBP and drives the display, and 1 power cable from the Dell monitor powers everything). It works perfectly for Teams Meetings and ambient music when I'm not on calls. The only issue I have with this setup is the fan noise whenever I'm on teams calls. My team mates can't hear it, but I can and it is distracting -- and after 9 months working from home with hours of Teams Calls each day, it's become unbearable. I decided to try the 13 inch M1 MacBook Pro but returned it because the screen size is just too small for me when I use the laptop as a laptop.

The Mini seemed to be the perfect choice so I picked up a 8GB RAM / 512GB Storage model early this morning, set it up and I'm absolutely loving it: setup was flawless with the Mini detecting the Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad without issue, pairing with the Beosound A1 and setting it as the default output and input (mic) device was effortless and absolutely essential because the Mini speaker is practically unusable, detection of the Logitech BRIO connected to the monitor via USB-C was also effortless.

In operation it never gets warm which means that the fan is never heard (my MBP ran warm all day with constant fan noise during Teams calls -- which caused concern about shortened product life), it performs with consistently excellent speed with multiple apps running, and the sleek minimal footprint makes excellent use of available space. The only issue I've encountered is the need to unplug and re-plug the USB-C display cable to trigger monitor detection whenever I restart the computer. I don't know if this is a software/firmware issue that will be corrected in a future update, but if not, it's an issue I can live with.

I've attached a pic of the setup. I am absolutely loving it and glad I made the decision!

Attachments

• M1 Mac Mini Setup.jpg
    M1 Mac Mini Setup.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 1,394
Last edited:

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
I have a 2020 top of the line 16-inch MacBook Pro with 32GB RAM. I use it in clamshell mode with a Twelve South BookArc vertical stand, Dell U3219Q 32-inch 4K monitor, Logitech BRIO HD Webcam, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Trackpad and a B&O Beosound A1 2nd Gen Bluetooth speaker when I'm home. I love the minimal setup (1 Apple USB-C Thunderbolt 3 cable powers the MBP and drives the display, and 1 power cable from the Dell monitor powers everything). It works perfectly for Teams Meetings and ambient music when I'm not on calls. The only issue I have with this setup is the fan noise whenever I'm on teams calls. My team mates can't hear it, but I can and it is distracting -- and after 9 months working from home with hours of Teams Calls each day, it's become unbearable. I decided to try the 13 inch M1 MacBook Pro but returned it because the screen size is just too small for me when I use the laptop as a laptop.

The Mini seemed to be the perfect choice so I picked up a 8GB RAM / 512GB Storage model early this morning, set it up and I'm absolutely loving it: setup was flawless with the Mini detecting the Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad without issue, pairing with the Beosound A1 and setting it as the default output and input (mic) device was effortless and absolutely essential because the Mini speaker is practically unusable, detection of the Logitech BRIO connected to the monitor via USB-C was also effortless.

In operation it never gets warm which means that the fan is never heard (my MBP ran warm all day with constant fan noise during Teams calls -- which caused concern about shortened product life), it performs with consistently excellent speed with multiple apps running, and the sleek minimal footprint makes excellent use of available space. The only issue I've encountered is the need to unplug and re-plug the USB-C display cable to trigger monitor detection whenever I restart the computer. I don't know if this is a software/firmware issue that will be corrected in a future update, but if not, it's an issue I can live with.

I've attached a pic of the setup. I am absolutely loving it and glad I made the decision!
Nice setup! Any bluetooth or monitor connect/disconnect issues?

roflc0pter

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2010

Next to the sink I see? Not worried about water damage from the possible splashing?

Mistercharlie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2020

Does your monitor stay connected through a reboot? I have the exact same monitor (U3219Q) and M1 Mac mini, and mine won’t connect to the display when I restart. This only happens when connected with USB-C.

I’m currently working with Apple support, so it would be great to know if it’s a general problem, or just my setup.

jelu77

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2020
Thailand

What input color format do you get in the Dell OSD menu, RGB or YPbPr? I have Dell U2720Q and get YPbPr when connected via USB C or TB3. However I do not encounter the restart issue.

Mistercharlie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2020
What input color format do you get in the Dell OSD menu, RGB or YPbPr? I have Dell U2720Q and get YPbPr when connected via USB C or TB3. However I do not encounter the restart issue.
I also get YPbPr, whichever method I use to connect. It looks fine though.

jelu77

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2020
Thailand
Thanks for your feedback, was it the same when you used your MacBook? If you got RGB from your MacBook did you notice any difference in picture/font quality?

Mistercharlie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2020
Thanks for your feedback, was it the same when you used your MacBook? If you got RGB from your MacBook did you notice any difference in picture/font quality?
No Macbook, but with my iPad Pro I get YPbPr color too.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Nice setup! Any bluetooth or monitor connect/disconnect issues?
Thank you. I’m loving it. I’ve only had Bluetooth / monitor connect/disconnect issues on system restart. It’s a minor annoyance but pulling out and plugging the USB-C monitor cable restores the connection. I experienced the Bluetooth issue once after recharging my Magic Trackpad where I had to manually reconnect it using system preferences. These issues occur very infrequently so they don’t offset the excellent butter-smooth, zero-noise experience. I’m hoping to see them corrected in an upcoming firmware update.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Next to the sink I see? Not worried about water damage from the possible splashing?
Yep, believe it or not that placement was conscious! I have a room that can serve as an office/den but I like open space and didn’t want to be cooped up in a room all day, so for me the location “felt” perfect and while I was initially concerned about the possibility of splashing, the equipment ended up fitting nicely in the available space. It’s hard to tell from the straight on pic, but the spacing is sufficient to make splashing a non issue in practice — unless I am super clumsy.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Does your monitor stay connected through a reboot? I have the exact same monitor (U3219Q) and M1 Mac mini, and mine won’t connect to the display when I restart. This only happens when connected with USB-C.

I’m currently working with Apple support, so it would be great to know if it’s a general problem, or just my setup.

Same issue here on the USB-C connected monitor losing connection on reboot. I’m not sure if it’s an issue with this particular monitor or USB-C monitors in general. I think it may be related to the fact that this monitor has an integrated USB-C hub because I also have a Logitech Brio HD webcam connected through the monitor and it lost connection once after initial setup. I had to connect it directly to the Mini USB-C port to get it to be re-detected as a system device. After doing that I reconnected the Brio to the monitor and it’s worked perfectly — even through reboots. Fortunately the monitor issue happens infrequently. Thanks for engaging Apple! Hopefully they’ll fix it in a future update.

By the way, you have exceptional taste in gear! Lol. How do you like the monitor and the Mini?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mistercharlie

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO

It's set to YPbPr. Does your Dell U2720Q have multiple ports and the ability to serve as an integrated USB-C Hub (i.e., allow other USB and USB-C devices to be connected to the monitor then passed through to the Mac via the single USB-C/TB3 cable?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
It will be interesting to know. Is the mac Mini same power as MBP 13 M1 and more powerful than MBA M1.
I got lucky that I could return a MBP 16 3 weeks old which was a replacement for a broken one from April 2020.
I don't need to through the hassle of selling waiting for the UPS pick up tomorrow.
So know i am between the MBA and Mac Mini. I noticed that i don't really use a laptop when i am on the road much. I do video editing short videos nothing too crazy but most of the time at home. I love having desktop setup and a big screen (even with laptop i change them to desktop set up).
The only thing i think might annoy me is connecting external webcam and speakers, how does microphone works on mini...
Looks like a mini can allow you a great desktop set up but you might end up adding accessories and can defeat the purpose.
What do you think or do you have suggestion or any comments? Thanks guys.
I have the 2019 16" MBP (base) and has been my desktop unit because it runs too hot and the battery sucks, it has been connected to the 27" Thunderbolt display via TB3-TB2 adapter.

Now that I have the M1 Mini (base), I have replaced the 16" MBP.

The 16" is going to my wife who needs a newer unit than her 2014 15" MBP.

I just love the M1 Mini with dual displays (27" Apple Thunderbolt + 32" 4K Samsung) that runs so cool and no more fan noise.

I use the built in HD Facetime camera and microphone of the Apple display for Zoom meetings.

Speakers, I have a 3 channel Klipsch powered system so that I can enjoy 4K video when I don't have to work...

Reactions: youngmac

Mistercharlie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2020
By the way, you have exceptional taste in gear! Lol. How do you like the monitor and the Mini?
:)
I love them both, apart from the reboot connection problem. The monitor is only a little wider than my old 27-inch iMac, but so much better. And the mini is great. I’d prefer more ports, but a dock is fine. Very impressed, all in all.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
:)
I love them both, apart from the reboot connection problem. The monitor is only a little wider than my old 27-inch iMac, but so much better. And the mini is great. I’d prefer more ports, but a dock is fine. Very impressed, all in all.
Ditto. I gave my 27-inch iMac to my daughter. She loves it and I love the new mini with this way better than expected Dell Monitor. So far the port complement on the mini is perfect, but I would spring for a base/dock similar to the Satechi -- but with multiple USB-C ports vs single USB-C port with SD readers and USB 3.0 ports. Overall, I'm still amazed at how much better the WFH experience is with the M1 mini.

sbhelms

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
I am on the opposite thought. I am currently running a late 2012 Mac mini i7. In the last year or two I upgraded memory to 16 GB and added an SSD as the primary drive and converted the "fusion" drive to a spare data drive. I was considering going to the 13 in M1 MBP. I don't "have" to have a laptop. My work in IT makes it necessary for them to issue me a Windows laptop that goes with me when I travel on business. That could change, but if I go the MBP, then it would mostly run in clamshell mode when connected at home for space reasons. I need the business laptop handy and I run a 27" monitor with the current mac mini. From what I have read so far, the M1 runs much cooler than the Intel units and some report that their MBP does not get warm and the fans rarely if ever turn on. Anyone with an MBP M1 having any heat issues? Reasons to just stay the Mac mini path and upgrade to the Mac Mini M1?

bwb

macrumors regular
May 25, 2004
I am on the opposite thought. I am currently running a late 2012 Mac mini i7. In the last year or two I upgraded memory to 16 GB and added an SSD as the primary drive and converted the "fusion" drive to a spare data drive. I was considering going to the 13 in M1 MBP. I don't "have" to have a laptop. My work in IT makes it necessary for them to issue me a Windows laptop that goes with me when I travel on business. That could change, but if I go the MBP, then it would mostly run in clamshell mode when connected at home for space reasons. I need the business laptop handy and I run a 27" monitor with the current mac mini. From what I have read so far, the M1 runs much cooler than the Intel units and some report that their MBP does not get warm and the fans rarely if ever turn on. Anyone with an MBP M1 having any heat issues? Reasons to just stay the Mac mini path and upgrade to the Mac Mini M1?
Similar here, except with an iMac 27” and LG 27” currently (+ work PC laptop + iPad Pro 10.5). Debating between all three of the M1 models. I would like to replace the iMac since it’s a fusion drive model, but unsure of how to minimize overlap.

youngmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
London

wow, that setup looks amazing. Yeah, the fan noise is an issue, it never bothered me before covid.
Is the 8GB ram enough for your activities? Did you ever felt any slowdown due to ram?

youngmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
London
I have the 2019 16" MBP (base) and has been my desktop unit because it runs too hot and the battery sucks, it has been connected to the 27" Thunderbolt display via TB3-TB2 adapter.

Now that I have the M1 Mini (base), I have replaced the 16" MBP.

The 16" is going to my wife who needs a newer unit than her 2014 15" MBP.

I just love the M1 Mini with dual displays (27" Apple Thunderbolt + 32" 4K Samsung) that runs so cool and no more fan noise.

I use the built in HD Facetime camera and microphone of the Apple display for Zoom meetings.

Speakers, I have a 3 channel Klipsch powered system so that I can enjoy 4K video when I don't have to work...
From 16 inch to base M1 mini? Those M1 macs are just unbelievable, isn't it. so some speaker is a must as I love good audio? As i couldn't decide few weeks ago, I decided to for the Macbook pro M1. But i'm loving those mini set up too.
since you have the base mini, what do you think about this ram debate 8GB vs 16 GB?

youngmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
London
ah great, I see. I actually have the MacBook pro M1 for a couple of weeks now since I posted this thread. It rarely gets a little warm when I am exporting video editing for quite a long time. I heard the fans perhaps once for 2 minutes. I think all M1 Macs are all good choices and you can not go wrong.
I have also a work windows laptop which is connected to a monitor. That was the reason I was thinking of the Mini. I use the MacBook Pro for video editing and photo editing, browsing, and some Microsoft office work. Just having 2 laptops with you every time, could be annoying. But my work laptop I have to take with me pretty much anywhere as if I get stuck I work remotely. I always used a laptop, just wanted a bit of change - Mini and windows work laptop connected both to an external display and switch between.

Ocala2020

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020

Sorry but I replaced my 2011 Mac Mini with the new one & I sent it back to apple....lots of crashes, hours with Apple Tech support.....finally he says...lets re-install Big Sur....we tried and it Failed....that was it for me...sent it back........lots of you don't want to hear that but it was the obvious decision.

Reactions: Suzatlarge

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
wow, that setup looks amazing. Yeah, the fan noise is an issue, it never bothered me before covid.
Is the 8GB ram enough for your activities? Did you ever felt any slowdown due to ram?
I'm still in a state of awe at the consistently good performance with 8GB. What's interesting is that just booting up with no apps running consumes 4GB of RAM, so after loading Office, Teams, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Xcode, and Safari Technology Preview (often with Apple Music playing in the background), the 8GB is pretty much 100% in use. This means that MacOS has to start using the SSD to serve the Swap file. Despite this, the machine does not slow down, I never hear the fan and the device is always cool. I was concerned that I would hit a wall whenever the 8GB RAM is highly utilized, but that has not happened at all. The one exception was a single, brief (sub-second) stutter I experienced with just a couple apps running which I attributed to a temporary software-related gremlin. After that very brief episode the machine recovered and kept trucking.

So net-net: I'm convinced that 8GB on this new architecture is way more efficient than the 32GB I have on my 16-inch Intel MacBook Pro, and I'm happy with it and believe this bad boy will have a long productive life. There's a great Maxtech comparison of the 16GB RAM M1 Mini compared to a 192GB RAM Intel Mac Pro on YouTube that bears this out with processor/gpu benchmark and power consumption data. I think this all speaks to the inspired design, engineering and high quality, high performance components used in the M1 devices.

Reactions: Staindsoul

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
From 16 inch to base M1 mini? Those M1 macs are just unbelievable, isn't it. so some speaker is a must as I love good audio? As i couldn't decide few weeks ago, I decided to for the Macbook pro M1. But i'm loving those mini set up too.
since you have the base mini, what do you think about this ram debate 8GB vs 16 GB?
External speaker(s) is a *must*!

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Yup, originally the 16" was supposed to be a laptop but the heat generated from the top case was so hot that I moved it to my desk. It's been on my desk for a year with a cooling fan underneath to try and keep the heat from killing parts.

Battery has deteriorated to 80% so I am not very happy.

The M1 Mini move was the best move since the 27" Thunderbolt display and my recent 4K bargain monitor has just blown me away!

Reactions: Suzatlarge
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.