Anyone going to DEFCON 20 next month?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Jun 12, 2012.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Year after year, I toy with the idea of attending what sounds like an amazing and extremely interesting (to me) event in Las Vegas called DEFCON. However, year after year, I find some reason not to go..

This year, my reason is not money. At least, not primarily. I've never been to Las Vegas, and while I may end up going alone, I'd really like to find someone else, or perhaps a group, to meet up with at the event. I don't mind doing things by myself, and if I did meet up with someone, I'd probably end up doing my own thing a fair amount of the time, but it never hurts to have some familiar faces around.

So I'm asking two questions here..

1) Is anyone from the MR crowd thinking about attending DEFCON 20?

2) If so, would anyone be interested in meeting up at the event?

Otherwise, if you've been in the past, I'd love to hear what you thought about it. Is it worth going if I have go to it alone? Will personal safety be a big concern in Vegas if I am by myself?

2. bobsacramento macrumors newbie

Defcon 20

You should go to Defcon if you have never been. There are always parties and people who are down for hanging out and drinking, this will be my 6th year and I have not had a single day during the event that I didn't end up meeting new people and having a good time. Always fun to search twitter as well during the event, last year I found a party on twitter just across the hall where a guy had posted an open invite with a picture of a shopping cart full of booze. There is also people on the defcon forums that are looking for rooms to share and such. Hit me up if you do decide to go and want to catch a drink.