Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
When the first the iPhone came out, it didn't take long for people to realize that serial numbers starting with 5s and 7s had different LCD panels. This time, they're all 8s. I'm pretty sure that the second number in the serial number means different panels. My first iPhone 3G was an 86 and it had a horrible screen compared to the rest. It was just more yellow a lot less vivid and less crisp than the two 87 demos I compared it to. I exchanged that and my 88 seems to be the best out of those three, but I didn't really get too much of a side-by-side comparison. Anyone know any sites that compared the different LCD panels Apple used yet? If I exchange mine because of shoddy build quality, I don't want to get a worse screen, I'd really like to know which one's the best and how to tell.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Serials ending in 5, 7, 8, 22, 556...what difference does it make? Last year, some people with "bad" serials had good screens and some people with "good" serials had bad screens.

It's all a big mass production crapshoot. There are no guarantees, only warranties.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I contend it as nothing to do with the serial number. At least the first 5 digits.

I had 2 phones both the same numbers, same batch/delivery bought at same time. They were vastly different. I returned mine for the light leak issue (it was bad) and got another one with a light leak.

Our 2 displays are not comparable at all. One has a green push, the other a pink. This of course results in vastly different blues, etc. One is a blue blue almost cutesy, the other is a purple blue. One has a pale weather/stock app, the other vivid. One shows "clay faces" on youtube, the other warm & detailed. One shows a very blaring yellowy white the other a more warm, pinky white

I have ZERO clue why they won't let us calibrate these displays. And of course they won't let me return a phone just cuz it's calibrated poorly despite the fact the whole purpose of the device is the screen. (IMO)

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
That's the exact reason that I want to know. I really like the display I have now and I definitely don't want to get a worse one.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I'm leaving in 15 minutes to go to the Freehold mall, which has an Apple Store with extra stock for exchanges, and I'm still trying to decide if I should risk getting a worse screen. The screen on mine is perfect, and I really don't want one that's even a little worse. Thoughts?

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Mine are better now but both still have light leaks. One more than another.
It's a crap shoot. There are different screen calibrations out there. Hubby and I both have 2 different colorways. Both pretty/nice but different.
I got the serial numbers VERY identical but that didn't help.

Michaels - I'd try. If it doesn't work out - try again.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Do they have to take the iPhone 3G I have now before I get the replacement? I'd want to compare the screens on both, but I wouldn't want to look too picky there. I'd rather know before I go, then ask when I get there and piss off the store going through tons of iPhones (which I hopefully won't have to do).

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It's also important to realize that there was no correlation AT ALL that was found between the phone's serial number and the type of screen. What people were looking at was the Vendor ID number for the LCD screen, an internal number that could be viewed using a field debug mode that you accessed with a specific code.

FWIW, version 2.0 no longer shows you this information, so it won't be so easy to find out who has what screen type.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I just made a Genius Bar appointment for the defects that I have. I'm still really sort of worried that I'll get a worse screen. The screen is the best part of the phone to me, but I know I'll regret it if I keep my chipped Apple logo, light leak between the metal and screen, iPhone 3G.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Did anyone ever exchange their iPhone 3G and notice that they got a screen that's better or worse? Any replies I could get would be great since I'm leaving in a few minutes.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
The old phone was sort of still on the counter area. You could say, for kicks, can I see my old phone? :) But yes, you basically have to get locked into the new one first. They may not allow you to get your old phone back.
I would just cross your fingers and hope you get a nice person. Be very nice and at ease but firm that you can't accept the defects you have.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't want my old phone back, but if I got a worse screen I would probably want to try exchanging it for a different one.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Even after a few defects, and only one that truly bothered me, the slightly chipped off Apple logo, I decided right there in the store before I reached the Genius Bar not to exchange it. Why? I've seen five different iPhone 3G screens including mine, and mine is just a lot better than every panel I've seen. The first that I personally got was too yellow and lacked a decent contrast ratio and vibrance, which is what I exchanged the second that I got my phone. From what I saw in the store, the panels were either lacking vividness and sharpness and some were a little too saturated. I didn't see one that looked as great as mine, so instead of taking a chance, I can deal with a few small defects as long as I get the best screen, which I definitely have. It's not too yellow at all, the vibrance and vividness is absolutely perfect, whites are pure and blacks are deep. I really have no complaints with the screen I have now. It's like the difference between all of the TVs you see in a store. Compared to every iPhone 3G I've seen, mine has the best screen by a noticeable amount, and that's a huge deal to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.