Anyone going to get one at the store on Friday?

chfilm

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I have a preorder pending but shipment to be due only between 15 and 22nd of October :(

So I was wondering, Will they have walk in purchase models in the stores on Friday? I’m looming for the SS Silver Model.. should be possible, no?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I have a preorder pending but shipment to be due only between 15 and 22nd of October :(

So I was wondering, Will they have walk in purchase models in the stores on Friday? I’m looming for the SS Silver Model.. should be possible, no?
It should be possible, but they may _not_ carry every stainless configuration depending on the Apple Store. And I would also be willing to venture depends how busy your store is, they may or may not have the model you want on launch day.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston

Do you really want to go to the apple store Friday, the place is going to be a zoo.

Why not just wait. My delivery date is > October 12th. I'm ok with that, it will come when it comes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: BrianSoCal

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Do you really want to go to the apple store Friday, the place is going to be a zoo.

Why not just wait. My delivery date is > October 12th. I'm ok with that, it will come when it comes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Have to agree that the Apple Stores will be carnage with iPhone/Apple Watch collections and those hoping to just walk in. Will be even impossible to get around the tables to see them physically.

Reactions: johnyslats

chfilm

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Have to agree that the Apple Stores will be carnage with iPhone/Apple Watch collections and those hoping to just walk in. Will be even impossible to get around the tables to see them physically.
Ahh I'm not too worried about the amount of people there, somehow in Berlin it's never been that crazy at the Apple Store like in the US in past years.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Ahh I'm not too worried about the amount of people there, somehow in Berlin it's never been that crazy at the Apple Store like in the US in past years.
You’re lucky, at my closest store to work (Regent Street, London) it’s crazy and the Covent Garden store is currently closed, so you can guess what it’ll be like! I may go try to look at the watches, but I’ll have to shoulder barge a few people to get close, that and elbows...

Reactions: chfilm

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
I’m doing my best to wait for a sale this fall. Someone will have a sale on these between now and Xmas.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
AT&T is practically doing BOGO on the new phones so someone will have a sale on the new watches.
Phones are a bit different - as they lock you in by crediting you the price of the phone over a two year period on monthly statements. No one has really done a month-to-month payment plan on watches outside of credit cards (that I am aware of).

To OP - I have an Xs for in-store pickup on Friday at 8AM my local time. I will ask the store if they have any watches in my pre-order configuration (S4, stainless steel, space black, 44mm) and if they do I will purchase (if I can) and cancel my pre-order. Pre-order is currently scheduled for 9.28 - 10.3.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
Watches are like iPads. Stores will discount them to get people into their store. I’m feeling confident someone will have a $50 off deal on the watch between now and December. And if not, oh well. I’ve gone this long without one. :)

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Watches are like iPads. Stores will discount them to get people into their store. I’m feeling confident someone will have a $50 off deal on the watch between now and December. And if not, oh well. I’ve gone this long without one. :)
I honestly don't see stores discounting a watch that will be highly in demand between now and Christmas.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
I honestly don't see stores discounting a watch that will be highly in demand between now and Christmas.
That’s exactly why it’ll be on sale. It’ll get people into the store. Stores have done this in the past, even with the original Apple Watch.

Last edited:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2002

All the stores by me have specific iPhone lines they set up - one for pre-orders, the other for walk-ins. Every other product you can just walk right in and look around, purchase, etc. So, there are tons of people, but they're kept separate.

That said, there's not been another product in memory released alongside the phones that was so anticipated as the S4. So, who knows what you'd find at the stores...

iBought

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
If you are picking up and have a scheduled appointment can you skip the line, or how does that work? I have never done a release day before and am not really looking forward to it..lol.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
If you are picking up and have a scheduled appointment can you skip the line, or how does that work? I have never done a release day before and am not really looking forward to it..lol.
There will be different lines for collections and those brave enough to camp out... You join the line at your allocated time and wait.

Reactions: iBought

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
If there a huge queues which i doubt they will be this year, two queues will be in place....one for appointments and one foe those wanting to pick one up in store for purchase. If there are queues then they will be short as is quick in and out. It is not like it was in the days of no online ordering days where queues would go on round the block and is much better experience. However, it was fun queueing before the days of scalpers that would just push in.

If there are no queues just go in as normal and say you have an appointment and you will be directed to go in. Just make sure you have a form of ID and payment card you used along with the order number/email.

Reactions: iBought

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I have to go in between 8 and 8:30 get pick up my phone (by the time I ordered, delivery wasn't available.) Hubby finally decided he wants an apple watch... his order isn't due til Oct 15-22, so I'll ask when I'm in there doing my pick up, if I can buy one if they have one.

Of course if they say I have to get into the walk in line... then he can just wait! I've got to get my phone and get home to be there to sign for his phone and my watch which are being delivered....

igrover

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Last year I pre-ordered an aluminum Series 3, then started having second thoughts and started looking for a SB SS watch to buy in an Apple Store on launch day. With 5 Apple stores in my immediate area, only 2 stores carried ANY SS models and they both were the SB SS with milanese loop. In-store inventory did show many of the basic aluminum models just not any of the higher end watches except for the 2 with the milanese loop.

I suspect we will see the same situation this year.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Last year I pre-ordered an aluminum Series 3, then started having second thoughts and started looking for a SB SS watch to buy in an Apple Store on launch day. With 5 Apple stores in my immediate area, only 2 stores carried ANY SS models and they both were the SB SS with milanese loop. In-store inventory did show many of the basic aluminum models just not any of the higher end watches except for the 2 with the milanese loop.

I suspect we will see the same situation this year.
Do you remember if the stop was showing on launch day or the day after? I can't remember for sure.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I preordered mine through T-Mobile with my bill only increasing $20 extra dollars a month. Once January hit, I’ll pay the remaining balance left on my watch.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I wouldn't go as a walk-in and expect to get what you want. I would check the Apple store online for pickup at one of the local stores periodically this week, on Thursday, and early Friday morning.

Also, don't expect there to be any sales on the S4 this year, except for Apple's Black Friday sale where you'll probably get a $25 gift card. I searched online for S3 deals and nothing came up for last year. It didn't go on sale until this year, so I wouldn't expect a deal on the S4 until next year.

igrover

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Do you remember if the stop was showing on launch day or the day after? I can't remember for sure.
Last year for launch day AND the day after you would have been able to order online for same day Apple store pickup of the standard aluminum watch with sports band. The sports loop band was already sold out (remember last year was the debut of the sports loop).

If you want to do this start looking at the istocknow.com web site and also the Apple Store availability starting Thursday night and then again early Friday morning. And then keep checking often - that is how I found the SB SS with milanese band in-store in a few locations.

Last edited:
Reactions: yashz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.