Anyone going to polish your SS apple watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Trickhot3102, May 15, 2015.

1. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Hey guys! So after a few weeks with my SS apple watch I'm noticing some little surface scratches. Anyone else have these? I think I'll pick up some stainless steel polish to try to get those scratches out. Anyone else thinking about it? Has anyone done it already? What type of polish would you recommend?

2. Stevenpaulross macrumors newbie

I have used mothers aluminum/metal polish. It works perfect.

3. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

I have with the Mother's too. It works like a charm.

Anyone else reading this: DO NOT use Brasso. I did and it left a hazy finish. I then used Mother's and it polished it perfectly. :)

4. texasstar1981 macrumors member

so you are going to polish your :apple: watch every month?

Long-term that will probably do more harm than good... most normal watch owners do not polish more than 1x / year or 2 years when their watch has a service inspection or they make it to the jewelry store....:rolleyes:

5. ilovemyibook macrumors regular

The only harm I see happening would be maybe getting the polish under the side button or digital crown. There's no way you're going to hurt the stainless steel by polishing it frequently.

6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

What exactly do you think you are doing when you are polishing a scratch out?

What do you think is in polishes?

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It would have a mild abrasive. To remove the scratch, you would need to remove the surrounding surface enough to get to the bottom of the scratch. It is not going to hurt anything.

I have my gold Rolex polished out one a year and it reminds looking like new. If you are concerned about removing a lot of the case material, don't.

8. texasstar1981 macrumors member

polishing once a year is fine but the OP said that he is already at the point of polishing after a few weeks .

polishing your stainless steel :apple: watch 12x per year is doing more harm than good (aside from the risk of getting the paste on the glass, in the small spaces of the crown and mic openings, buttons openings...)

9. cruzmisl macrumors regular

You could polish it once a week if you wanted, lol. You aren't going to find yourself wearing it down to the innards of the watch. You are polishing microns worth of surface.

But I agree with you on getting paste into the openings of the case. I'm not sure what i would do to prevent that. Probably just live with scratches.

10. texasstar1981 macrumors member

yeah... my point being: if someone is that OCD about "micro-scratches" on a polished SS watch... maybe they should have gone with the sport watch. Because unless they re-polish every couple of weeks they won't be happy with their purchase....

11. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I think to protect the small openings for the mic and speaker I'll just put some tape on it and it'll be fine. Same with the screen. It's only really on the bottom and top where the bands connect. Also there are some on the speaker and mic side. I think I'll only polish once every few months. Maybe even only 1-3 times a year to avoid doing any damage

12. HowlinAl macrumors regular

HowlinAl

I want to meet the person who polishes their watch so much that it disappears, lol. These forums are a never ending source of laughs.

Polish it every day if you want, maybe in a hundred years you'll scrape off a half millimeter or something.

13. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

If someone is offering to polish my  Watch, I accept thy kind offer.

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Or maybe they can just polish their SS as they see fit. I ordered space grey, but in general I like my items looking a certain way. Even my car engine that I rarely see. One you pay for it, polish as much as you want.

15. ilovemyibook macrumors regular

The things people believe. Haha. You will never wear away enough metal in the Apple Watch in your life time to actually harm the watch it any way. You aren't a bright person if you think you can actually wear away the metal. The only thing you could mess up, and I've already mentioned it, is getting polish in the digital crown, etc.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

As long as the OP uses care he could polish it daily. Everyone has something that makes them happy . . . . .

17. amnichols10 macrumors regular

Is this the one that your talking about?

Mothers 05100 Mag & Aluminum Polish - 5 oz.

I want to make its the right one before pulling the trigger.

18. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

The surface might look new, but the case beveling and edges won't.

19. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

I'll answer for him, yes. The stuff is great on all metals!

Attached Files:

20. amnichols10 macrumors regular

21. joshneedham macrumors member

As a longtime watch enthusiast, I can confirm that there is a possible detriment to polishing too much/too often. I've seen it done to rolexes, where yes the surface is blemish free and shiny as heck but when you look at it from any angle or moving it a bit, you'll see that the reflections are odd, kind of wavy. What you can do is make the surface of the watch slightly uneven and it'll be apparent when light shines on it while it's moving. This especially happens when you polish out an individual blemish, or a certain area harder or more often than the whole watch. It's asinine to polish a watch more than like twice a year at the most; if you're that much of a perfectionist, be more careful with your watch! I've had my SS apple watch since 4/24 and it has zero blemishes or dings or scratches despite daily 12 hour wear.

22. HowlinAl macrumors regular

HowlinAl

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for this!

23. amnichols10 macrumors regular

Plan on only doing it once a year anyway.

Also for those who do it themselves what do you do to cover the button and crown? If it's being done once a year would it be better to take it a professional?

24. joshneedham macrumors member

Yes, have it done professionally by a watchmaker or a jeweler if you can't find someone who specializes in watches. A quality watch polishing will be done evenly and consistently, keeping the lines of the case true and also making sure to not foul up the screen, crown, or back.

25. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

So I used the Mothers polish and a piece of microfiber cloth to polish one of my old stainless steel watches, most of the scratches were gone and the surface became shiny but I could see thousands of micro scratches left by the polish from a certain angle. Is it normal or am I doing something wrong?