Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Hey guys! So after a few weeks with my SS apple watch I'm noticing some little surface scratches. Anyone else have these? I think I'll pick up some stainless steel polish to try to get those scratches out. Anyone else thinking about it? Has anyone done it already? What type of polish would you recommend?

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
I have with the Mother's too. It works like a charm.

Anyone else reading this: DO NOT use Brasso. I did and it left a hazy finish. I then used Mother's and it polished it perfectly. :)

texasstar1981

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Hey guys! So after a few weeks with my SS apple watch I'm noticing some little surface scratches. Anyone else have these? I think I'll pick up some stainless steel polish to try to get those scratches out. Anyone else thinking about it? Has anyone done it already? What type of polish would you recommend?

so you are going to polish your :apple: watch every month?

Long-term that will probably do more harm than good... most normal watch owners do not polish more than 1x / year or 2 years when their watch has a service inspection or they make it to the jewelry store....:rolleyes:

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
so you are going to polish your :apple: watch every month?

Long-term that will probably do more harm than good... most normal watch owners do not polish more than 1x / year or 2 years when their watch has a service inspection or they make it to the jewelry store....:rolleyes:

The only harm I see happening would be maybe getting the polish under the side button or digital crown. There's no way you're going to hurt the stainless steel by polishing it frequently.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
The only harm I see happening would be maybe getting the polish under the side button or digital crown. There's no way you're going to hurt the stainless steel by polishing it frequently.

What exactly do you think you are doing when you are polishing a scratch out?

What do you think is in polishes?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

It would have a mild abrasive. To remove the scratch, you would need to remove the surrounding surface enough to get to the bottom of the scratch. It is not going to hurt anything.

I have my gold Rolex polished out one a year and it reminds looking like new. If you are concerned about removing a lot of the case material, don't.

texasstar1981

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
It would have a mild abrasive. To remove the scratch, you would need to remove the surrounding surface enough to get to the bottom of the scratch. It is not going to hurt anything.

I have my gold Rolex polished out one a year and it reminds looking like new. If you are concerned about removing a lot of the case material, don't.

polishing once a year is fine but the OP said that he is already at the point of polishing after a few weeks .

polishing your stainless steel :apple: watch 12x per year is doing more harm than good (aside from the risk of getting the paste on the glass, in the small spaces of the crown and mic openings, buttons openings...)

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
polishing once a year is fine but the OP said that he is already at the point of polishing after a few weeks .

polishing your stainless steel :apple: watch 12x per year is doing more harm than good (aside from the risk of getting the paste on the glass, in the small spaces of the crown and mic openings, buttons openings...)

You could polish it once a week if you wanted, lol. You aren't going to find yourself wearing it down to the innards of the watch. You are polishing microns worth of surface.

But I agree with you on getting paste into the openings of the case. I'm not sure what i would do to prevent that. Probably just live with scratches.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

texasstar1981

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
You could polish it once a week if you wanted, lol. You aren't going to find yourself wearing it down to the innards of the watch. You are polishing microns worth of surface.

But I agree with you on getting paste into the openings of the case. I'm not sure what i would do to prevent that. Probably just live with scratches.

yeah... my point being: if someone is that OCD about "micro-scratches" on a polished SS watch... maybe they should have gone with the sport watch. Because unless they re-polish every couple of weeks they won't be happy with their purchase....

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
I think to protect the small openings for the mic and speaker I'll just put some tape on it and it'll be fine. Same with the screen. It's only really on the bottom and top where the bands connect. Also there are some on the speaker and mic side. I think I'll only polish once every few months. Maybe even only 1-3 times a year to avoid doing any damage

HowlinAl

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
I want to meet the person who polishes their watch so much that it disappears, lol. These forums are a never ending source of laughs.

Polish it every day if you want, maybe in a hundred years you'll scrape off a half millimeter or something.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
yeah... my point being: if someone is that OCD about "micro-scratches" on a polished SS watch... maybe they should have gone with the sport watch. Because unless they re-polish every couple of weeks they won't be happy with their purchase....

Or maybe they can just polish their SS as they see fit. I ordered space grey, but in general I like my items looking a certain way. Even my car engine that I rarely see. One you pay for it, polish as much as you want.

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006

The things people believe. Haha. You will never wear away enough metal in the Apple Watch in your life time to actually harm the watch it any way. You aren't a bright person if you think you can actually wear away the metal. The only thing you could mess up, and I've already mentioned it, is getting polish in the digital crown, etc.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

As long as the OP uses care he could polish it daily. Everyone has something that makes them happy . . . . .

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009

The surface might look new, but the case beveling and edges won't.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA
Is this the one that your talking about?

Mothers 05100 Mag & Aluminum Polish - 5 oz.

I want to make its the right one before pulling the trigger.

I'll answer for him, yes. The stuff is great on all metals!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 638

joshneedham

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Chicago, IL
As a longtime watch enthusiast, I can confirm that there is a possible detriment to polishing too much/too often. I've seen it done to rolexes, where yes the surface is blemish free and shiny as heck but when you look at it from any angle or moving it a bit, you'll see that the reflections are odd, kind of wavy. What you can do is make the surface of the watch slightly uneven and it'll be apparent when light shines on it while it's moving. This especially happens when you polish out an individual blemish, or a certain area harder or more often than the whole watch. It's asinine to polish a watch more than like twice a year at the most; if you're that much of a perfectionist, be more careful with your watch! I've had my SS apple watch since 4/24 and it has zero blemishes or dings or scratches despite daily 12 hour wear.

HowlinAl

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
As a longtime watch enthusiast, I can confirm that there is a possible detriment to polishing too much/too often. I've seen it done to rolexes, where yes the surface is blemish free and shiny as heck but when you look at it from any angle or moving it a bit, you'll see that the reflections are odd, kind of wavy. What you can do is make the surface of the watch slightly uneven and it'll be apparent when light shines on it while it's moving. This especially happens when you polish out an individual blemish, or a certain area harder or more often than the whole watch. It's asinine to polish a watch more than like twice a year at the most; if you're that much of a perfectionist, be more careful with your watch! I've had my SS apple watch since 4/24 and it has zero blemishes or dings or scratches despite daily 12 hour wear.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for this!

amnichols10

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008

Plan on only doing it once a year anyway.

Also for those who do it themselves what do you do to cover the button and crown? If it's being done once a year would it be better to take it a professional?

joshneedham

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yes, have it done professionally by a watchmaker or a jeweler if you can't find someone who specializes in watches. A quality watch polishing will be done evenly and consistently, keeping the lines of the case true and also making sure to not foul up the screen, crown, or back.

PedCrossing

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
The Loop
So I used the Mothers polish and a piece of microfiber cloth to polish one of my old stainless steel watches, most of the scratches were gone and the surface became shiny but I could see thousands of micro scratches left by the polish from a certain angle. Is it normal or am I doing something wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.