Anyone going to wait until Snow Leopard ships before buying a Nehalem Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 18, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I want to wait until snow leopard ships before buying a Nehalem Mac Pro.

That way I'd get it for free along with the Nehalem technology and by then it will be utilized more + prices may come down in 4-6 more months later for the Nehalem Mac Pros, maybe even a silent speed bump.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Prices will not come down, there will be no speed bump.

The demographic for the Mac Pro depends on their purchase being the best possible for just over a year. Apple cannot update these machines in three months.

3. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Prices wont come down, but if you can hold out until SN ships then i'd say save yourself $99 and wait. They might offer another graphics card or something by then.

But price dips and speed updates won't happen

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I dont know, I think if prices dont come down, a silent speed bump would likely suffice. Apple's Nehalem machines are released pretty damn early though if you think about it. Early adoption always costs more.

5. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

if I were getting a Nehalem, I'd wait til SN ships for that exact reason. bets are that it should be out by WWDC, which is less than 3 months away. Even though Apple may not drop the retail price, a silent upgrade _may_ be possible (though not guaranteed) and having them in stock at more 3rd party retailers makes it more likely that you may see deals there (amazon, macmall, etc.)

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm waiting for Snow Leopard.

I doubt that the prices will be coming down but I also believe that Apple is paying a premium to be the first to get the processors and that the processor cost will be dropping to the Intel listed prices (no idea of the timeframe). Since I doubt Apple will drop it's prices but it also wants to increase sales, I think that Apple will come out with another 2009 release before the year is up (same price more value). I'm not waiting on a price decrease or hardware update but I'm just waiting on snow leopard.

Note - I realize that Apple has not dropped prices or upgraded the Mac Pro more then once / year. Just because they have not done it in the past, doesn't mean they will not do it in the future. If Mac Pro sales are way down / non-existent, they will do whatever needs doing to improve the situation.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There won't be another hardware update this year. No one would buy it, as Apple would be seen as an unstable company for workstation users.

8. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

rather theoretical?

9. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

The 15" mbp is not a workstation but it still sees the silent cpu bump.

10. MacClaus macrumors newbie

In 7 months... you get a 2,66 Mac Pro for the price of the entry octad, because the 2,66 will be the entry model. A light speed bump with 2,66, 2,93, 3,2 models in fall.

I'm waiting for Snow Leo and then I will buy a new Mac Pro.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because it isn't part of the Mac Pro's demographic.

12. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I'm actually just waiting for when intel officially releases the chips at the end of this month. I want to see if they are dropping the prices any to align with their 5400 series

13. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

???

you're rather matter of fact about all of this

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm just saying that the Mac Pro is marketed toward businesses and larger facilities that buy multiple machines at once, sometimes to be able to spend what they need to spend for tax purposes. These facilities rely on the companies from which they buy their machines to keep their purchases current–to give them a sense of stability.

The Mac Pro is NOT aimed at single end-users.

If Apple starts updating it every six/four/three months, it represents instability to these businesses.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Just like in the stock market, past performance is not an indicator of future performance. Just because Apple has not done it, doesn't mean they will not do it. If the Mac Pro sales are tanking, they will do something. It's only my opinion but I think that Apple will update the Mac Pro in 2009 rather then dropping the price (Note - I'm talking a small update).

16. Nik macrumors 6502

They will not do anything because the MacPro is a really small business either way.
    Who needs a Mac Workstation will buy the MacPro no matter if it is more expensive or not.

The MacPro was too cheap in the past when compared to other manufacturers. Now they are on par.

17. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think Apples cost will go down but I'm doubtful of a Mac Pro price decrease. I can't see Apple selling a lot of Mac Pros as it currently stands so who knows.

Note: I think it's more the state of the economy that hurt the Mac sales (i.e. companies/businesses will make due with what they have).

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The margins on the 2008 and 2009 Mac Pros are about the same. I believe that Apple was getting a good discount from Intel on the 2008 processors.

You are ignoring the state of the economy. Many companies / businesses don't have the capital to get new Mac Pros and will make due with what they have. All manufacturers will have to work to make their sales (including Apple).

19. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

20. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

That's a pretty weird argument. For a start, Apple has hardly any
    presence in the business market at all. Where's the evidence that
    this wonderful stability strategy is working?

And then: businesses would rather pay more for older machines just
    for the illusion that their machines are "current"?

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That was IBM. Now the point lies with, "To what would they upgrade?", as there is only the 3.2GHz available above the current offering until early Q2 2010.

It would not be an illusion, as the machines would be the most current from that company. We have to think in terms of Apple here. Render farms that use Final Cut Studio have to use Macs (Yes, Final Cut Server's Windows client, blah, blah). Companies have budget quotas that they must fill; they can't wait on pins and needles halfway through a cycle if Apple starts updating every four months if they have to spend their money for the end of the fiscal year.

22. Throck macrumors newbie

Agreed

I think you're right. We know a 3.2Ghz Nehalem chip exists, I think we may see the speed bump even sooner than this Fall.

23. canonballs macrumors member

Back in the Motorola days they were doing it every six months as a matter of course.

24. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Ok. So Apple aims for stability unless they source from IBM? ;)

It is an illusion if you look around elsewhere.

Well, yeah. That's the lock-in. But Final Cut Studio render farms
    constitute only a microscopic market segment. I'm not sure you'd
    want to base a whole argument on that.

25. Lucibelle macrumors member

Maybe, but can it really be expected that the price on a 2.66 would drop $1400? Seems unlikely, but time will tell.