Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I have been Plus since it existed. Always been kind of torn as screen is so nice and big on Plus but it is hefty in pockets and hand.

WTS, Apple has acknowledged the speaker issue but has no resolution. My option is to live with speaker clipping or go to the 8.

Few things..

I don’t mind losing 2nd lens.
I’ve read specs are worse on regular 8 display but it holds its own against Plus with media.

I can deal with battery.

Anyone leave the Plus and mind sharing experiences?

This speaker clipping is horrible and it’s starting to occur in other apps I use. I think the speaker is slowing dying or getting worse.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why not get an X if you have qualms about both the plus and regular size. Slightly narrow screen, but still bigger than the regular 8. Great battery life, keep the dual lens. Fantastic display.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I had the 6 plus and returned it for the 6 back during launch. But the reason was that I valued one-handed use above screen size or battery life so it was a no brainer.

Reactions: Mel8899

PBz

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Why not get an X if you have qualms about both the plus and regular size. Slightly narrow screen, but still bigger than the regular 8. Great battery life, keep the dual lens. Fantastic display.
I don’t like the X. My wife has one and she is very unhappy with FaceID. Also, at this point I’m not giving Apple any more $. If Apple would replace my 8+ with a X I would consider it.
[doublepost=1514046364][/doublepost]I know this isn’t popular but I find the second lens to be a negative 90% of the time. I have taken some amazing Portrait mode images of my kids with the 8+ but outside of that I think the zoom lens is almost useless, with or without OIS.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don’t like the X. My wife has one and she is very unhappy with FaceID. Also, at this point I’m not giving Apple any more $. If Apple would replace my 8+ with a X I would consider it.
[doublepost=1514046364][/doublepost]I know this isn’t popular but I find the second lens to be a negative 90% of the time. I have taken some amazing Portrait mode images of my kids with the 8+ but outside of that I think the zoom lens is almost useless, with or without OIS.

Well, if that is the case, it really depends on whether you can accept a much smaller screen. I never had a plus b/c the footprint is too awkward to run with, but I did envy it. I've also made the usual screen size leaps from the original iPhone to the 5 to the 6 to the X. I loved all those phones when I had them but I could never go down in size again. You get too use to using a bigger screen with more typing and scrolling space. I look at those older models now and just think wow! how did I use those. The original iPhone especially blows my mind -- it's so tiny.

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
I have read iPhone 8 also has speaker issues. Has it been resolved for iPhone 8 only but not 8 plus? If so, I might join you. Lol

PBz

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I have read iPhone 8 also has speaker issues. Has it been resolved for iPhone 8 only but not 8 plus? If so, I might join you. Lol
Great question. I’ve asked the Lead Tech I’m working with if he can confirm no speaker issue with the 8. No response yet.

Reactions: Makayla

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I know this isn’t popular but I find the second lens to be a negative 90% of the time. I have taken some amazing Portrait mode images of my kids with the 8+ but outside of that I think the zoom lens is almost useless, with or without OIS.

Useless, fair enough - but why is that negative then? Surely that'd make it either neutral or a tiny positive.

Great question. I’ve asked the Lead Tech I’m working with if he can confirm no speaker issue with the 8. No response yet.

I have the 8 - never had the +. Never heard the +. But I will say this (upgraded from 6), the speakers sound best 2-4 steps down from max. At max volume it can sound a tad distorted honestly. Not so bad, but a bit

PBz

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Useless, fair enough - but why is that negative then? Surely that'd make it either neutral or a tiny positive.

I have the 8 - never had the +. Never heard the +. But I will say this (upgraded from 6), the speakers sound best 2-4 steps down from max. At max volume it can sound a tad distorted honestly. Not so bad, but a bit
Negative because I’ve read the Plus uses ‘input’ from the zoom lens on all images taken. Not sure if this is the case. I’ve never confirmed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I read that it was software related. But it was very prevalent amongst many iPhone 8 Plus users. I'm not sure if the latest iOS update rectified that.

Reactions: Makayla

PBz

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I read that it was software related. But it was very prevalent amongst many iPhone 8 Plus users. I'm not sure if the latest iOS update rectified that.
For some quick history...

There was an in-call cracking issue and this was resolved with firmware update.

There was some speaker cracking issues and this was 90% resolved with firmware update. I still have it occasionally.

There is the in-app speaker cracking issue that is bothering me and no firmware or device replacement resolves the issue.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Negative because I’ve read the Plus uses ‘input’ from the zoom lens on all images taken. Not sure if this is the case. I’ve never confirmed.

As far as I know this does happen, but only in extremely low-light, in which case the other lens and sensor is used to increase the amount of light that can be captured for the image, increasing the quality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.