Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
United Kingdom
so I have a ss right now and thinking of selling it to get sports as I'm scared of getting the ss damaged. I love the watch and couldn't be without it. I'm just worried about resale value and that it's gen 1, thought I could save some money too

So anyone done the move from ss to sports and have you regretted it?

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
i have not, but i would liek the gold/blue sport watch isntead of my ss. i spent way too much money on my bands (leather loop, SS, etc.). i think leather loop and the gold sport would look nice, but not the SS band.

Reactions: bigup

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I didn't switch, but I decided to go with the sport (Space Gray), because I know of people that own both SS and Sport and their SS has worn worse on the metal finish (scratches) than the Sport. (Funny thing is most of their scratches came from using MacBooks and MacBook Pro's.

I also opted for the sport, because I will likely get a new watch in the next 2 years and I can buy 2 sport versions for the price of 1 of the SS variations. I'm still on the fence about getting something other than an Apple Watch next time if Apple doesn't do something different with WatchOS soon, as I've commented in other forum threads.

The sport looks good with different bands and you can get a sport with a lot of bands for the price of a SS setup. Just my opinion.

Tomr182

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
I got bought the SS for my birthday, but had wanted the Sports originally, had a look and wasn't a big fan to be honest so took it back and swapped it for the space grey sports, and bought the black leather loop strap as well. so for cheaper than the SS, i got the black sports and a strap! the leather strap works wonderfully with it so it has some scope for wearing it for different events. well worth the swap unless you really like shiny things

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Who would do such a thing?!?

Kidding. The SS looks much nicer to me and is much more flexible in band combinations in being dressed up and a casual look as well.

I will say since the release of the gold though I am fighting hard not to buy one to go with my SS to mix it up.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I had the space gray sport and didn't like how it looked cheaper. I exchanged it for a SS and haven't looked back.

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Just adding a Leather Band to the Sport makes a big difference in appearance. Here is a picture with my $45.00 leather Case Mate band. Also, I purchased the watch as an open box at best buy and got $60.00 off of retail. So I always suggest going to your local Best buy and checking for open box on any apple product. The Best Buy I went to had 6 sport watches and 5 SS in both sizes available as open box. I was still able to add AppleCare+ by calling apple for another $49.00, so I'm not worried about damaging it. That puts this setup with insurance to $433.00 plus tax. I can get tons of aftermarket/3rd party bands to keep switching it up and I'll still be spending less than if I bought the stock SS with AppleCare +.

I've also found multiple high quality bands on sites such as etsy, TheStrapSmith and monoweardesign, however I've yet to purchase more bands.

IMG_4321.JPG

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Not feeling a brown band on the black watch
To each there own, however I was just pointing out there are cheaper alternatives than apples available options if someone chooses to switch to the Sport model. Now that apple has multiple color options for sport bodies, you can get any aftermarket band to go with your watch for a lot less than the stock SS setup.

Reactions: C7 POWER
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.