Anyone gonna switch to Sprint for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, Sep 9, 2011.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Just wanted to know if the majority of people will be switching to go to Sprint for the iPhone 5 if the rumors are indeed true. How does everyone feel about their unlimited data EVDO (3G) technology maxing out at 2mbps? Anyone else bothered by the fact that Sprint can't do voice and data simultaneously?

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I've got unlimited data on AT&T with an iP4.. So I'm fine. And I will say that 2Mbps is decent for a phone. However my iP4 hits 3.80Mbps-4.25Mbps where I'm located.

3. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

Im on Verizon and the voice and data docent bother me, anyways I'm going to stick it out with Verizon

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I don't plan on it. Sprint coverage in my area isn't too great. Although the coverage map says my area should have good coverage, anecdotally that is not the case.

5. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I wonder if by Sprint offering the iPhone they could surpass AT&T. Unlimited data and their lower plans are definitely a huge plus for many people. What does everyone think of them offering free airwaves?

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It's definitely tempting. It all depends what the price of the plan is.
    If I can save a few bucks and get unlimited data by jumping over, I will.

7. FmaxTurboSi macrumors regular

If at&t does not make me eligible for the upgrade, then ABSOLUTELY!

I've always been able to upgrade for every new iphone. So I will be super annoyed if I'm not eligible this time. I've been an att/cingular/pacbell customer for over 10 years now.

8. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Not even close. Sprint is not even close to having brand recognition/coverage as att

9. TOOFY macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm moving to sprint for the sole purpose of hating AT&T for 4 years now that I've had them. As I write this my coverage at my home location has been going from 5 bars to No service. I drop calls on a daily basis and that is with every single phone call either if I'm home or work or out with people.

I could care less about data speeds when I can't use my phone as a phone. I don't care for verizon much but I always had great coverage wih Sprint at my home location with them which is all I care about. So yes. I'm switching over.

10. rmlred macrumors regular

I won't be "switching" to Sprint as Im already a customer, but I will be upgrading to the iPhone if it comes to Sprint weather its unlimited data or teared data, because I have Wi-fi about every where I got, except school. Im sick of my EVO but Im going to have a hard time switching back to a smaller screen if Apple doesn't go with a bigger display. Most likely if Sprint gets the iPhone I will upgrade not matter what because Android is so glitchy and I just love Apple products.

Just thought I'd share.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

But you stayed a customer for four years?

To get back on topic: Good God no. I've been a Sprint customer and their customer service bar none is the worst I've ever experienced. I'd rather try to find a sales associate at Home Depot. :rolleyes: Oh, and their coverage is spotty in the city where I live.

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

13. Frankenstein macrumors member

I am actually going to switch to from Sprint to ATT. I've been with Sprint for 10 years, but it's time for a change. I even looked at switching to ATT when the first iPhone came out (I understand the irony now), but didn't because ATT was $30 more per month back then. Fast forward a few years, and now the switch makes a lot of sense to me.

For starters, sprint's network used to be fast and reliable, but ever since the EVO came out their data speeds have slowed to a crawl (less than .5 MB down usually) and dropped calls are happening more and more frequently. Also, the price is just about even now (unlimited data doesn't even factor for me due to the poor data speeds) since sprint implemented the ridiculous "smart phone data" charge of $10/month. I am also seriously considering dropping texting when I switch to ATT which would save $30/month compared to sprint (that's a topic for another thread, but I think the world should revolt against crazy text plans). The problem with sprint's modern plans is also their main feature. Since their plans are kitchen sink plans you don't even have the option to cut things, so you end up paying for more than you even want to use (again, unlimited data is pretty pointless).

Luckily, my sprint contract ends on 9/30 (original pre owner :( but switched to EVO at least :)), so my days of settling for iPhone substitutes are almost over.

*As a caveat, I'm speaking for a family plan with two phones, so individual plans may compare differently.

14. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I used to have Sprint last year. Awesome service and all. I switched to AT&T for the iPhone. Don't regret it. It sucks I'm not at unlimited data but Sprint will soon follow. They won't be able to handle all the new users switching for the iPhone. They'll need to go to a tiered data plan sooner or later. The reason I'm not going back to Sprint is because I love the surf & talk feature on GSM. Another reason, Sprint isn't very great in Puerto Rico. I tend to visit my family a lot over there and they are huge on AT&T and TMO.

Plus, watch Sprint's speed slow down once the iPhone is released. It's already getting swamped with the overrated EVO.

Oh btw, I get about 4.5 mbps (3G) average on my AT&T iPhone.
    per Speedtest.net app.

15. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yeah I hear ya. I had the EVO 3D for a short while this summer and it was a struggle to hit 1Mbp sitting about 4-5 yards from the cell tower. Everywhere else would be around 300kbps-800Kbps. I am sure those numbers will decrease as you said once a few thousand iPhones get on Sprint's network. Time will tell.

If the GSM iPhone 5 has HSPA+ I think that is going to be a deal breaker for me. Yeah AT&T only gives you 2GB but my friend easily pulls 5Mbps down with them. If you go over 1GB its only $10 which realistically isn't that bad.

16. TOOFY macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Guys the people here talking about switching are being smart. Do what is BEST for you and your lifestyle. Me, I personally need phone and texts more. I text about 5 - 6 thousand a month average. I use my phone everyday. The places I go and visit unfortunately AT&T has gotten so bad. I don't care for Verizon so I prefer Sprint.

Just waiting for the release already. I go away to Punta Cana on vacation on Oct 14th for 8 days. So I'd like to get it before I leave.

17. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

??? I've had sprint for 10 yrs and they always take care of me when I call cust service. Sure sometimes (very rare) I have to speak to a supervisor, but in the end they will pretty much do whatever you want when it comes to giving you a credit. As of late they have really been trying to step up the service because they know where they stand in the race to retain customers...

18. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

I've never heard so many complaints and seen so many flaws as I have with sprint customers and tech.

19. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

20. chandra.hp macrumors member

Anyone know or heard any rumors of Sprint getting the cheaper iPhone? I can't see myself going for the iPhone 5 unless it absolutely blows away the iPhone 4. And yes, I'm currently a Sprint customer but have been tempted to switch to AT&T because I get better reception with AT&T at home and work.

21. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

22. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Family Plan w/ Sprint:

2 iPhones
    $129 - Voice/Data/Text
    $20 - made up $10 "premium data" fee's

Family Plan w/ Att:
    2 iPhones
    $60 - voice for two lines
    $30 - 200 mb data for two lines
    $0 - unlimited texting via google voice

Better coverage for myself and $1440 cheaper over a two year period makes it an easy decision to stick with Att...