Anyone good at logic puzzles?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Nov 23, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Figure this one out:

I'm normally pretty good at these, but after 30 minutes, I gave up and decided I'd rather call Gito's to find out this information :D

I really don't think it gives you enough info to solve it, but I want a few others to agree with me so I don't feel like such an idiot ;)

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

We'll see about that ;)

I just realized that the question is "can you find the full name...." So I think the entire thing might be a trick, because it's not asking you to solve it, it's asking you if you can solve it, and I think the answer's "no" :D

4. chriswheat macrumors regular

I'm trying to solve it. Where did you find it? Is it somewhere that may try to trick you with the "can"? I don't want to waste too much time if it's not solvable.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I've playing around with it, there doesn't seem to be enough information for there to be a unique solution. That is, I think there are several combinations that solve it.

6. chriswheat macrumors regular

Solved. I believe that there is just one, unique solution. I am going to retrace my steps and document them and I'll post back soon.

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (HTC_P4350 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12))

I found it on another forum.

8. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Oh no not these:D

I absolutely hate them Mostly the math ones. " I am a palindrome in which the sum of my numbers minus the hundreds digit equals 99 times 4. What number am i?"

Just made that up dont even try to to solve it:D

9. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Alright took me about 40 min. but heres my answer(scroll down):

SPOILER AHEAD

Dont Cheat! :)

[​IMG]

If anyone has any objections let me know. Oh how I figured it out. I started with hawaiian pizza and then the fact that alicia and keller were on the same floor. I figured keller and alicia were in the middle bc neither had hawaiian so they had to 2nd or 3rd and the 3rd floor i thought had to be girls since cynthia was above a bill. and then went from there clue by clue. I made a ton of charts and listed the floor and pizza exceptions and slowly but surely narrowed it down. :)

10. chriswheat macrumors regular

I put together the list of how I came to the conclusions listed below.

• We can establish 3 floors: Floor A (Alicia and Mr. Keller), Floor B (Erica and sausage), Floor C (Dave and hamburger)
      [*]Detail: Clue 3 tells us that Alicia and Mr. Keller share a floor. Clue 9 tells us that Erica and the sausage eater share a floor. (Therefore, Alicia and Erica must be on separate floors. That’s two floors.) Clue 7 tells us that Dave and the hamburger eater share a floor. Clue 8 says that Alicia didn’t have a hamburger pizza, therefore she couldn’t be sharing a floor with Dave. Also, Clue 12 says that Dave didn’t have a sausage pizza. (Therefore Dave didn’t share a floor with Erica. That makes three floors.)​
    • The Hawaiian pizza wasn’t delivered to Floor A or B. Therefore Dave ate Hawaiian pizza.
      [*]Detail: Clue 11 tells us that Erica didn’t eat Hawaiian Pizza. (Floor B is out.) Clue 11 also tells us that Mr. Keller did not have Hawaiian pizza, nor did Alicia in clue 8. (Floor A is out). Since Dave lives on Floor C with the hamburger eater, and the Hawaiian pizza was delivered to Floor C, Dave must have eaten Hawaiian pizza.​
    • Ms. Owens lives directly above Dave. She is not Cynthia.
      [*]Detail: Clue 4 tells us that Ms. Owens lives above the hawaiian pizza eater. (Therefore, above Dave.) Clue 10 tells us that Cynthia lives above Bill. (Therefore, Ms. Owens is not Cynthia.)​
    • Ms. Owens is Alicia.
      [*]Detail: This gets quite tricky. You have to do some trial-and-error and assume for now that Ms. Owens is Erica. Since we know Ms. Owens lives directly above Dave, the sausage pizza eater would have to live above the hamburger eater. Clue 13 tells us that Ms. Owens didn’t eat cheese pizza. This would mean that the person with the cheese pizza lives above the sausage eater. Clue 6 tells us that the person who ate cheese pizza lives above Mr. Purvis. Therefore, we would assume that Mr. Purvis ate sausage and lived on the middle floor. Since the only spot left for a female name is the “hamburger” spot on the lowest floor, it would be impossible to fulfill Clue 10, that Cynthia’s apartment is above Bill’s. Therefore, Ms. Owens can’t be Erica and must be Alicia. ​
    • Mr. Keller lives above the person with the hamburger pizza.
      [*]Detail: Clue 4 tells us that Ms. Owens lives above the person who ate Hawaiian pizza. Since Ms. Owens is Alicia, Dave ate Hawaiian pizza, and Mr. Keller lives on the same floor as Alicia (Ms. Owens), Mr. Keller must live above the person who ate a hamburger pizza.​
    • Mr. Keller ate a cheese pizza, and Mr. Purvis ate a hamburger pizza.
      [*]Detail: Clue 6 says that the person who had a cheese pizza lives directly above Mr. Purvis. Therefore Mr. Purvis must live on either the first or second floor. Clue 10 also tells us that Cynthia’s apartment is above Bill’s. There is no way that Cynthia can be on the second floor, so Cynthia must live on the third floor, Alicia and Mr. Keller must live on the second floor, and Dave and the hamburger eater must live on the first floor. If Alicia Owens lives above Dave, the Hawaiian pizza eater, Mr. Keller must have ordered a cheese pizza, and Mr. Purvis ordered the hamburger pizza.​
    • Mr. Keller is Bill. Mr. Purvis is Fred.
      [*]Detail: Since Cynthia lives on the 3rd floor, and Clue 10 tells us she lives above Bill, Mr. Keller must be Bill. Also, by elimination, Mr. Purvis must be Fred.​
    • Cynthia had sausage pizza. Erica lives above Alicia.
      [*]Detail: Clue 9 tells us that Erica and the person who ordered sausage pizza live on the same floor. This must be the third floor, and Cynthia must have eaten sausage pizza. Therefore Erica lives above Alicia.​
    • Dave’s last name is Morton. Alicia had a mushroom pizza. Erica had pepperoni pizza.
      [*]Detail: Clue 1 tells us that the person with the mushroom pizza lives above Morton. Since Morton can’t be on the second floor, they must be on the first floor, and they must be Dave. Since Alicia lives above Dave, she must have eaten the mushroom pizza. Also, by elimination, Erica must have had pepperoni pizza.​
    • Erica’s last name is Langhorn. Cynthia’s last name is Nichols.
      [*]Detail: Clue 2 tells us that Nichols and the person who ordered pepperoni are two different pizza. By elimination, either Erica or Cynthia must be Nichols. Since Erica ordered pepperoni, Cynthia must be Nichols.​
    • Erica Langhorn lives in Apt. 3W.
      [*]Detail: Clue 5 tells us that Erica Langhorn does not live in 3E, therefore she must live in 3W.​

So, it must be:
    • Erica Langhorn, Pepperoni, 3W
    • Cynthia Nichols, Sausage, 3E
    • Alicia Owens, Mushroom, 2W
    • Bill Keller, Cheese, 2E
    • Dave Morton, Hawaiian, 1W
    • Fred Purvis, Hamburger, 1E

11. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Wow nice! And a much better explanation for answer than mine.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

^^^Great solution guys. I'm still going step by step so I have a reason for each particular that's in my own terms, but your explanations were great. :)

While we're doing logic puzzles, here's one for you:

There are 12 coins that are physically identical. 1 of them is counterfeit and could weigh more or less than the other 11. With only a balance scale (will not give you exact weight-only a heavier/lighter indication) and a total of three weighs, can you determine which coin is fake and whether or not it is heavier or lighter than the others?

If you've seen this puzzle before, please don't ruin it for others. :)

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yes. ;)

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I guess that means you have the solution right? Care to post it?;) (With a spoiler warning o/c :)).

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Heh. Actually, I know the solution exists because I've seen the puzzle before, and submitted an answer to a contest at work that was almost right (sometimes you needed 4 weighings). You can Google search to find answers, there appear to be several. All of which are more clever than what I could have come up with.

(My solution, which is almost correct - SPOILER ALERT - was to break the coins into 3 groups of 4, weigh them to find out which group of 4 contained the odd coin, thus also confirming the other eight as known-good weights. Then weigh a pair from the mystery group against a pair from a known-good group, thus narrowing down the mystery coin to one of two pairs. Then you'd weigh a single coin from the pair against another single coin from a known-good group to find the odd one.