Anyone good with SPSS? - likely an easy problem!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by davidjearly, Jun 14, 2012.

1. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I have carried out an evaluation of a product using likert scale questionnaire and imported the date into SPSS. I have my columns arranged as follows:

ID, Group, Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4

I have two different groups completing the questionnaire, with each person a different numerical ID. Under the Q columns, I have the score given for that person (from 1-5) from the Likert Scale.

In all there are over 300 responses.

I am running analysis using 'descriptive statistics/frequencies' from the menubar and not getting the tables I am looking for. Basically, it is including all respondents together, whereas I would like it to compare the two groups in the tables.

How can I make it do this?

In addition, if you have any further tips as to what analysis I could perform on this type of data in SPSS I'd be most grateful. I'd like to show that there isn't a significant difference in opinions between the groups, and from looking at the data, it appears that this is the case.

Thanks!

2. Atius macrumors newbie

Spss

I hope I understand this correctly cos what type of test you do depends on this:

You have two groups (group1) and (group2). Both groups answered the same set of question (Q1), (Q2), etc.

You want to compare how (group1) did vs (group2) in each question?

If I did understand you correctly you need to do a The Independent Samples T Test to compare the mean scores of two groups of each variable.

HOW TO:

In spss -> analyze -> compare means -> Independed samples t-test
    - put all the questions (Q1), (Q2), etc into the test varible(s)
    - Put the group into grouping varibles, choose define groups and define them by how you did it in spss.
    don't change anything in options or bootstrap

hit the ok button and voila, means have been compared and you can see the difference between the groups and if the "sig." is below 0.05 you have a statistical difference in the groups.

And if you are unsure how to read the results just let me know and I can help, because even if there is a difference in the groups it would be wise to calculate the size of effect according to Cohen's d afterwards cos that can tell you a lot about the final results.

3. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Atius, at first glance, your assumptions seem correct. Thanks ever so much for replying. I will attempt this later and get back to you!

Cheers,
    David