anyone good with wood/trim?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ThirteenXIII, Sep 7, 2009.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

well i woke up to my pet having alittle too much fun with our bedroom door stopper:
    he was pouncing and laying on it until it cracked the wood...while the door stopper actually fits back in fine...its merely the wood surrounding it that is causing an eye sore and should be fixed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking getting some gorilla wood glue and just pushing the pieces back to together...as the wood trim is essentially appended/built into the wall the way they built these homes.

any ideas or suggestions would help...im in no way a handyman or wood fixer lol.

thanks!

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

The glue is an okay idea. If it's not terribly damaged, you will need to tap the pieces back flush with a 2x4 with cloth or something that won't make dents in the trim. Allow the glue 24-72hr to dry. Then you will either need to sand down the high places, or get some wood filler and fill in the gaps. If there is a large hole you might consider a piece of dow to cut down on the amount of filler needed. THEN sand it down and apply paint.

This is about the best advice I can offer for this besides replacing the board. It looks "vintage" though, so a custom replacement would be expensive.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

follow the advice from above....patch the wood back together, the gorilla glue is perfect.it doesnt take long to dry so just let it sit for a day.

and if thats a doorstop, pick up one with a plate to cover up the eyesore if thats the biggest concern as replacing built in trim is spendy and usually not worth it right away unless there is no other option.

a doorstopper like this would work perfect i think after patching up the wood.
    http://www.libertyhardware.com/search/detail/?searchType=retail&ID=50247&FIN=BP

you can pick them up at lowes for under $3.
    i prefer those as its just a plate and its not always getting force from the door or if something gets caught on it it wont rip it directly out of the wall.

hope it helps