Anyone got a Black while waiting for Jet Black?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silverblack, Sep 16, 2016.

1. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I was debating between a regular black and jet black, also wasn't sure about 7 vs. 7+. But during preorder, only regular black iPhone 7 was available for launch day pick-up, so that's the one I went for.

I was hoping to see the JB in person and decide whether it is something that I like better, but there were none on display at my local Apple Store. So I came home with a pre-ordered black iPhone 7, but I am not even motivated to open it. The fact that JB is so rare now makes me really want to have it.

Decision making time, counting down, Day 1 of my 14 days...
    Anyone in the same situation?

2. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

I'm waiting for my November jet black delivery (and waking up every night or staying up every night to midnight to constantly check Apple store inventory - fruitlessly) but if I can find a matte black at this point, I'll probably take it. Just tired of waiting...

3. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I'm happy with matte black. No one will care about the jet black phone come this time next year when the actual re-designed iPhone 8 comes out and it's more scratch-resistant ceramic...not some color designed to "look" like a re-design when it's actually still the same design. Then I'll get jet black :)

4. midkay macrumors member

"The fact that JB is so rare now makes me really want to have it."

Won't be rare for long. I bet it'll be the most popular model in the long run.

5. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I personally was waiting for Apple to get the "slate" finish right and they did with MB so I'm happy. Next year, they'll get the jet black finish right and I'll get it and be happy.

6. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I called Verizon to see about switching my JB pre-order to matte Black but the ship date for it (11/23) would have been later than my Jet Black (11/16).

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They're unlikely to do ceramic and jack up the cost of the iPhone by $700 (the price differential between stainless steel Apple Watch and the ceramic Apple Watch Edition). Ceramic is expensive.

Additionally, it's currently a pipe dream and we have no actual rumors pointing to ceramic in the 2017 iPhone. If anything, it's more likely to have a glass body.

8. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

We shall see. The patent is out there for a ceramic iPhone.

9. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Do people really just have that much money that they can keep buying models outright "Oh, i have to wait a month for the right color, ok, ill just pay the 1000 now for the other color in the mean time and end up with two phones?" ... I am either not understanding, or actually just that poor ..

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP's statement "Decision making time, counting down, Day 1 of my 14 days..." indicates that he's thinking about returning his matte Black for JB within the 14-day return period.

11. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I wouldn't do that.. That's just abusing the system to your benefit. In my humble opinion. But whatever, I know everybody does that. Okay, I guess I can feel a bit less poor :)

12. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Looking at your hashtag under your name, you look to be doing pretty good IMO.

13. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

I couldn't decide so I ordered both. Using the black now until the jet black finally comes

14. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Clearly you haven't read the site.

15. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

True story (haha)... Pre-ordered 7+ MB AT&T which is being delivered tonight, found a Verizon like model yesterday and bought that outright. I also have a JB 7+ pre-ordered due to be delivered in November. So I'll probably sell the AT&T version this week, keep the Verizon and make a decision on the ATT JB when it get delivered in November.

16. wickedwahine11 macrumors 6502

wickedwahine11

Not even close. If I buy a matte black, I would cancel my jet black on order for November delivery.

17. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Thanks for explaining :)

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Neither would I but it's no more wasteful than someone ordering both colors and returning a sealed box within the 14-day return period, or you change your mind on the single order and return it still sealed. If you return even a sealed box, they will open it up and refurbish it to become a white box replacement. This is because Apple doesn't take any chance lest someone swaps it out and re-seals the box.

19. jdclifford macrumors 6502

BestBuy is your friend!