Anyone Got a Kindle?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by LadyX, Oct 30, 2012.

1. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I have an iPad which I've tried reading books on several times. Every time I try to do so, my eyes burn from the backlighting making it uncomfortable and impossible to continue the book. I have several books on my iBooks shelf that I'd really want to read but I just can't. So I decided now is the time I got my first Kindle, I'm thinking of getting the new Kindle PaperWhite. I'd like to know Kindle users thoughts and impressions, which Kindle do you have? Are you liking it?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I love my Kindle Keyboard. It is wonderful to read on. If you get one, you won't regret it.

3. leenak macrumors 68020

I got the Kindle Paperwhite and I like it although the display isn't as good as they advertise. Many people have had complaints on unevenness of display, tints of different colors, etc. The biggest issue I've had is getting used to the lighting that it uses and often find it easier to read without the lighting to avoid the shadows it creates. I think it is overall a good little device though and enjoy reading with it.

4. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

The Kindle Keyboard was one of my choices. It was either the Kindle, Kindle Keyboard or PaperWhite. I didn't like the Fire and the other non e-Ink Kindles. Felt more like it was a tablet PC rather than an e-reader as I wanted something just to read on and not to store music/movies or use the web. The Kindle Keyboard looks great but the keyboard would be useless for me as I don't take notes when reading.

I'm glad your liking it. I've read a lot on the uneven built-in light but it's normal. This is what Amazon said regarding this:

"Under certain lighting conditions, the illumination at the bottom of the screen from the built-in light is not perfectly even. These variations are normal and are located primarily in the margin where text is not present. The illumination is more even than that created by a book light or lighted cover. The contrast, resolution and illumination of the Paperwhite display is a significant step-up from our prior generation."

Check this link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._t=1401&pf_rd_p=1404805882&pf_rd_i=1000841011

5. leenak macrumors 68020

yeah, I've seen that link but the shadows for me appear in all lighting situations. The main problem is the eye drifts to the corners when reading and the lighting is on. That is why I prefer to read with the light off.

6. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

So you can turn the built-in light off? Does your eyes burn, turns red, etc. I'm assuming this isn't an issue with the PaperWhite? Are you satisfied with the screen size, if you could compare the size of the PW, do you say it's the size of regular paperback book pages?

7. leenak macrumors 68020

Yeah, the light can be turned off and it looks like any regular e-ink reader, maybe with a slightly higher contrast. My eyes don't get tired or anything. The screen size is perfect for me, about the same size as a regular paperback.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Got a KK as well. I brought one of those Incipio NGP cases for it. Without the case, the Kindle was too slippery and thin for my liking.

I hope the fix that in the next generation Kindle or whenever my KK takes an unfortunate plunge. The higher contrast display was what caught my interest.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I also like my old Kindle Keyboard and would recommend it. E-ink is the way to go.

(Note: E-ink does not work great in poor lighting. I would recommend the iPad or equivalent for reading in poor lighting conditions.)

10. Surely Guest

Surely

I have a Kindle Special Offers (the $79 one, which I see now is $69). It's perfect for reading. It's super-light and very easy on the eyes. The battery lasts forever. I also have one of their lighted cases for the times I want to read in bed in the dark.

The ads aren't annoying at all, and in fact, I've taken advantage of a few of their offers which ended up saving me $40-50 for purchases I would have made anyway. So it almost paid for itself....

11. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

I went ahead and placed an order for a Kindle PaperWhite. I chose the one with special offers as I've read that a lot of users (like you) have taken advantage of these ads. And if for some reason I don't want these ads displayed anymore, I can pay $20 to opt out of these special offers, is that correct?

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I believe so, yes.

They really aren't annoying. They aren't ever on your screen while you're actually reading one of your books. The ads are used as a screensaver when you aren't using your Kindle and as a small banner across the bottom of the screen when you're on the home screen (list of your books).

13. TedM macrumors 6502

I had one of the originals and liked it. The issue you might run across though is I don't think you can transfer things from ibooks to your kindle device.

14. TSE macrumors 68030

Currently have the current generation $69 Kindle.

I have absolutely zero complaints. It is fantastic. I haven't charged it in over a month, and I've used it every night for about 20 minutes before I fall asleep. The industrial design is fantastic. I love great, minimal design, and the Kindle fits that criteria. I even throw Manga and Comic Books on it in PDF format and it's perfect. The experimental web browser is kind of fun just to mess around in.

The only thing some people are annoyed by are the ads, but you don't see them while reading so it is no problem for me.

I really, really wouldn't mind if Amazon (or any company for that matter) made a full fledged table with a backlit E-Ink display, as long as it was cheaper. I would consider it. I don't mind my black and white television.

15. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I have the previous generation base Kindle. I guess it's just a grey version of the new black model.

It's a great device, very small, thin and light. The screen is great too, and the battery life is amazing. When I get into a book, I'll happily drop everything else and finish it in one go. The kindle is small enough that I can carry it around and just dip into it whenever I can. Much more practical then an actual book or an iPad.

My only beef is the lack of backlighting, but my Paperwhite should be delivered in a couple of weeks time :D

16. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

Yes, I'm aware of that.

17. angelneo macrumors 68000

I got a previous version of Kindle Touch and I really like it for reading my novels. My eyes get tired easily (getting all red and irritable) from staring at a monitor for too long especially if I am reading, but so far I haven't had that with my Kindle yet.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have a Kindle Keyboard I bought last year. Just a month ago or so (after the warranty ran out), one of the beads of e-ink exploded inside the display. So now I have this sorta speck to small spot of e-ink stuck to it.

Other than that, I love it, great to read on. Going to wait until the technology gets a little better to get a new one.

19. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

Call Amazon. Even if it is out of warranty they will sometimes replace the product. They are really good with that.

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I did, they told me to cough up $50 for a refurb, or offered me a discount on an obsolete Kindle Touch. :rolleyes:

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

I recommend not buying a Kindle due to the fact that the books are licensed to you (and Amazon can wipe and deactivate your account on a whim without due process or anything), and the fact that books are typically the same price, and occasionally more, than the physical copy.

You don't read more than one-two books at a time. Save the environment too.

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

He can just use Calibre to remove the DRM.

23. Mousse, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

New books, maybe. But I prefer the classics (Shakespeare, Conan Doyle, Dickens and a whole mess of dead guys). Those are free. Thank you, Gutenberg Project. Printed versions cost $$$.

Amazon also offers a lot of freebie Kindle versions of certain books. And some public library loan Kindle versions of newer books. No more having to go to the library to return a book. That alone makes it worth the price of admission.

Calibre is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Managing my library--a Nook [for ePub] and a Kindle [for Mobi]--would be a nightmare without it. Yes, I'm aware Calibre can convert between the two formats, but I prefer staying away from grey areas.

For books I've brought, I'd absolutely remove DRM and have a back up in my Calibre library. I paid for it, it's mine.

24. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well that's you, I'm talking in general.

Not really, unless you go to a library that is about 30 miles away. Used books are an exponentially greater value than any Kindle book.

----------

I assumed we were talking about legal options.

But either way, it's still cheaper to buy used books, even if you factor in the cost of the Kindle books being free (don't forget, you don't own them), the actual cost of the device will take you awhile to recoup the savings.

25. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't pay more than $3 for any books. I borrow what I can, put items on my wishlist and watch prices. This method has netted me quite a few books. Amazon also offers at least 1 adult and 1 young adult book every day for $1.99 each. The books, from what I've seen, are highly rated books. I've bought a few of those.

I think a kindle is a great portable device. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to read whatever book I'm reading so I pick up a different book to read. Sometimes I can be quasi-actively reading 3-4 different books.

Although I do like the Paperwhite, I do kind of wish I had waited for the next generation. I think they'll improve it next year and maybe it won't have as many issues.