Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
I have been interested in the DSLR scene for awhile now. I have been looking at the Sony Alpha DSLR-A100K Camera Body + 18-70mm Lens, along with a Sony 75-300mm Super-Telephoto Lens. Most of the reviews that I have read on this camera (many SUPER in-depth ones) have really liked this camera. Anyone got this camera? If so, do you like it?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think you'd enjoy this camera as well. If I were looking, I'd have a close look at an A-700, but I really don't know what you're looking for in a camera. The A-100 may even be replaced soon by an updated version. I'm not sure about that, but it is getting older. If you waited a bit, you may be able to get it at a larger discount! I'd check Sony Alpha websites and read some of the rumours and news.

Just remember that there are 3rd party vendors like Sigma and Tamron that sell lenses for the Sony A-mount and Minolta's old mount. If you can't find what you're looking for from Sony, or if the Sony lens is too expensive for the performance and specs of that lens, then look for 3rd party options. :)

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
I think you'd enjoy this camera as well. If I were looking, I'd have a close look at an A-700, but I really don't know what you're looking for in a camera. The A-100 may even be replaced soon by an updated version. I'm not sure about that, but it is getting older. If you waited a bit, you may be able to get it at a larger discount! I'd check Sony Alpha websites and read some of the rumours and news.

Just remember that there are 3rd party vendors like Sigma and Tamron that sell lenses for the Sony A-mount and Minolta's old mount. If you can't find what you're looking for from Sony, or if the Sony lens is too expensive for the performance and specs of that lens, then look for 3rd party options. :)

The A700 is out of my budget at the moment. If Sony replaced or updated the A100, do you think it would be about the same price? The only reason that I was looking at the Sony lens was because a few stores can bundle that lens and give you a really good discount.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I bought a Sony Alpha A-100 a few months back and really enjoy it. It fits my hand nicely and takes really sharp pics. I bought the 18-200 lens, which would probably horrify someone with more photo skills that I, but it's been great for me. For some sample images, you can take a look at my site. The sailing, HDR, and Bermuda albums were taken with the A-100, along with a few pics in other albums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i have the a100 and a couple of sony/minolta/sigma lenses. i had no problems with the camera so far. it feels quite solid, works reliable. i like the handling. picture quality is great.

noise level of the sensor above iso 800 are high but i never use more than iso 800 anyway. antishake works great. dust removal works more or less ok for me. wireless flash is great. overall i would say it's a great camera for that price.

check out dpreview.com they have very good reviews on all dslr's in that price range.

gphoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
U.S.
I have a Sony Alpha, and it's been great for me. The build is nice, and the picture quality is great. The anti-shake is wonderful, I can take pictures that I would otherwise be unable to. I highly recommend it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have been interested in the DSLR scene for awhile now. I have been looking at the Sony Alpha DSLR-A100K Camera Body + 18-70mm Lens, along with a Sony 75-300mm Super-Telephoto Lens. Most of the reviews that I have read on this camera (many SUPER in-depth ones) have really liked this camera. Anyone got this camera? If so, do you like it?

The problem with Sony is that they do not have a large selection of lenses and no used lens market. People go with the established camera companies because of the depth of the system. We don't even know if Sony will reman in the DSLR business. They have a history of simply following trends where as Nikon has been building SLRs for 50 years and still supportsing thheir 50 year old design. I'd say skip the 300mm lens. Shoot for a while then decide later what second lens you need. Most people will then go with something different like a macro or wide angle or a fast f/1.4 or so lens.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
The problem with Sony is that they do not have a large selection of lenses and no used lens market.

Not really true, there's actually a big back catalog of lenses that will fit this camera (many of which don't suffer the name-based price markups you see for Nikon and Canon lenses). Lenses that fit the Minolta A-type mount will fit the Sony Alpha.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
Thanks for the replies. I have read many reviews, including one's from dpreview.com, and they all sound pretty good. What other comparable cameras in that price range are there? I know of the XTi, but I'm not sure if Nikon has one or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.