Anyone got a western digital 1TB essential edition drive??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hodgey1989, Jun 2, 2009.

1. hodgey1989 macrumors member

2. hndn macrumors regular

You should get the one with firewire, it makes a big different in transfering.
    I love WD products.

3. pesc macrumors regular

I just bought two of these. Works great with USB.

I like WD Mybook because they spin down and are quiet when not in use. Great because they are always connected to my media hub. Not all external drives spin down and its darn hard to find out which do since that fact is never marketed.

IMPORTANT:
    Just remember to repartition the drives to use 1 GUID partition and HFS+ using the disk tool! Otherwise Time Machine will fail after a while :(

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes but depending upon where Apple goes his firewire drive would be useless later on. I would get at least a dual interface if not USB. Transfer times will suffer but frankly Apple is to blame for that.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

One of these: $130 with eSATA or $105 with FW800/400
    OWC Dual Drive RAID Enclosure
    2 of these: $130 each
    Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB

I have one of the essential drives you linked. Works perfect as my media drive, although sometimes the USB speed leaves me wanting more (above is what I'm looking at myself). There are a few threads around here that seem to point to WD's FW drives aren't very reliable.

6. hajime macrumors 68030

I used it for a day. Although it is a USB drive, it is fast and quiet. It is fast enough as a backup drive.