Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hodgey1989

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008

hndn

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2009
You should get the one with firewire, it makes a big different in transfering.
I love WD products.

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
I just bought two of these. Works great with USB.

I like WD Mybook because they spin down and are quiet when not in use. Great because they are always connected to my media hub. Not all external drives spin down and its darn hard to find out which do since that fact is never marketed.

IMPORTANT:
Just remember to repartition the drives to use 1 GUID partition and HFS+ using the disk tool! Otherwise Time Machine will fail after a while :(

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You should get the one with firewire, it makes a big different in transfering.
I love WD products.

Yes but depending upon where Apple goes his firewire drive would be useless later on. I would get at least a dual interface if not USB. Transfer times will suffer but frankly Apple is to blame for that.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
One of these: $130 with eSATA or $105 with FW800/400
OWC Dual Drive RAID Enclosure
2 of these: $130 each
Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB

I have one of the essential drives you linked. Works perfect as my media drive, although sometimes the USB speed leaves me wanting more (above is what I'm looking at myself). There are a few threads around here that seem to point to WD's FW drives aren't very reliable.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I used it for a day. Although it is a USB drive, it is fast and quiet. It is fast enough as a backup drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.