Anyone got an iLife 08 drop in with a refurb lately

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GlynJones, Aug 23, 2007.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

As the title says.

Just ordered a refurb Blackbook and wonder if I'll get a drop in of iLife 08. Probably not but as anyone managed to get one on a recent refurb purchase?

Thanks.

Glyn.

2. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

yep, it's in there

Got my MBP refurb on the 20th and they put the shrinkwrapped iLife 08 package in it. You'll just have to install it yourself...

3. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Fingers crossed that I get a drop in copy as well :)

4. petefza macrumors newbie

nope

I ordered a refurb mac mini on the 16th and it didn't have it.

Question to those who have ordered a refurb mac mini...how did it come packed? I thought I would have a box inside of the main box, but nope...just the outside box.

5. kygeographer macrumors member

Yes

The refurb Macbook that I ordered on the 8th came with a drop in copy.

Good luck!

6. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

nope. ordered refurb MacBook on the 15th, no iLife '08.

I placed my order on the phone specifically so I could ask the sales rep if I could get the up-to-date $10 iLife deal. He said yes, so I'm just going to call and request, demand it if I have to.

7. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

My friend got a refurb Mini today that was ordered on the 23rd and it didn't come with an update.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My refurb 20" iMac came this afternoon with a drop in copy of iLife '08 and also the iWork '08 trial CD. :)

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

When they replaced my Macbook 2.0Ghz CD with iLife '06 with a 2.12 C2D last week, iLife '08 came with it...

10. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I don't think all refurbs will come with it. I have noticed that older models on the refurb site say they will come with 06 and newer (current) models say 08. What model blackbook did you order?

11. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Phone Apple For Your iLife '08 Copy For FREE

So you see you have a story to tell the customer support if they try to deny you. But for everyone above who didn't get it, here's all you have to say:
    Trust me. They will apologize and send you one for no charge. Refurb or new it doesn't matter. You are supposed to get a copy of iLife '08 no matter which flavor of "new" Mac you buy.

12. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Do you think that would work if you bought a new macbook from a retail store (not Apple Store) that they may have had in stock before the new version came out?

(Guess what I'm buying tonight!?)

TIA

- D

13. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

If it's not coming from Apple, you might have a harder time to get a copy. But its worth a shot.

14. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

That's very true - if you don't ask you don't get!

Thanks

- D

15. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Yeah ask Apple for sure. I doubt they will bump you up from a vendors' old stock.

16. JTag macrumors newbie

I also just purchased a refurb Macbook (havent received it yet though). In the description it siad that it would came w/ iLife '08 so I am hoping that it does.

If you bought a Mac after Aug. 7th, you can go to http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/
    to get your copy for $9.95.

17. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I'd say to print out that page from the web site. And if you don't get 08, call them and request it. If they say it'll be 9.95, offer to fax that sheet over. YOU should not have to pay since the web says so... Enjoy the new MB!

18. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I picked up my MB 1 week after apple released iLife 08 and the guy said they opened up all the boxes and dropped on in, so I would think if its coming from Apple there would be one in there.

19. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Yes.

Just phone Apple and tell them you bought it tonight and it didn't have iLife '08 inside and would they please send you your copy. They will.

20. AndyFL macrumors regular

Let's put a YMMV tag on this....

I must've talked to the wrong rep (or did I call the wrong CS #? I called tech support). He pulls up my acct, asks for serial, all that jazz. I tell him I have an easy one for him. No lies, no story -- I simply asked him if I could get iLife as I thought it should've been included since it was updated.

HIM: "Hmm, ok let me check the specs on your machine to see if it should've been included" [I knew right away this was not looking good, as this guy was obviously a "I-play-everything-by-the-book" guy. My machine, MBP 2.16 refurb ordered 8-15-07 did have iLife 06 listed as a spec, I knew that already.]

HIM: "OK I checked it out and it looks like your machine was to come with iLife '06"

ME: "Riiiiiiiight, can you not send me a copy for $10, you know, the ilifeuptodate?"

HIM: "Oh, hmm, I don't know about that iLifeUTD. Let me check into that."

HIM (a few minutes later): "OK, well I checked into that and I'm not finding any information on the website about a $10 ilifeUTD. My best recommendation is to go to an Apple store and ask them...etc etc."

Sure, I could've referred him to the iLifeUTD page, which he would've investigated to find that "officially" my refurb machine is not an eligible machine. Whether he really was ignorant of the iLifeuptodate or just playing dumb, I don't know.

So, for anyone looking to call -- hope you don't get the same guy!

Next question, do they track these cases? Ie. if I call again and get a different rep, will she pull up my acct and see that I've already called?

Also, I had already submitted the iLifeUTD form via fax but was denied there, obviously because my refurb isn't "eligible." Then I found this thread and thought I'd give it a shot over the phone. Again, YMMV.

Andy