iPad Anyone got an iPad (4th gen) with no display problems 1st time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Samtb, Mar 2, 2013.

?

Perfect ipad 4 the first time?

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Samtb macrumors 65816

No image retention, colour saturation issues or backlight bleeds?

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

is this a know problem? i haven't heard it before

3. skillwill macrumors 6502

Mine was perfect from day one. Most people's are - the only reason looking at this forum makes it seem the opposite because no ones going to start a thread called my ipad is fine and I have no problems with it

4. bigboar macrumors 6502

mine was perfect also...

5. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

True

6. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I guarantee you all 15 of 15 do not have perfect iPads.

Though if that's how they perceive it, all the more power to them ;)

I wish I was less critical and observant.

7. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Yep. Bought mine back in November when it first came out. Perfect quality!

8. arefbe macrumors 6502

arefbe

I did, back in November, a 64GB wi-fi from Best Buy.

9. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

What were the first 2 letters of your serial number just out of interest?

10. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Curious as well :D

11. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

My first 3 had yellow tints on the screen. My fourth is perfect. It is a 64GB wifi purchased from Best Buy in December. The first 2 letters of the serial number are DM. The first 3 were purchased from the Apple store and all had Verizon LTE.

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, that wording was given to us by OP, not our choice.

I haven't had any issues with my iPad's screen that OP has described. My 4 DOES have the contrast pumping issue as discussed in a different thread, but all 4s have that, so it doesn't count in a way. It's not enough to bug me (I don't watch too many videos on my iPad), so I haven't messed with it.

First two letters of my serial: DM

What's the significance of that?

13. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

yeah the contrast pumping is going to occur on all iPad4's.

It was believed on here with iPad3 that a certain run of them with DY serial # more often than not had good panels, what was also believed to be Sharp (since they don't exhibit multiple tint like most/all Samsung Retina ipad displays, have a fairly pristine white level, and no IR or text shift at random angles like a lot/all LG)

But I haven't read anything anywhere narrowing things down with the 4. The couple of them I've seen on display and on sale were DM.

14. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Are all ipad 4s DM then?

15. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

That's what I'm curious of as well.

I know with iPad3, the vast majority I came across were DM.

But mine was DY and hunted down after reading about it here (though I had one dud with DY before getting a good DY)

But with iPad3, as far as I know, there was (probably including others): DM, DL, DY, and DN

16. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

17. Hooterville macrumors 65816

Hooterville

Mine has been perfect since day one. I have the 4th generation with Verizon cellular if that makes any difference.

18. OSxiPro macrumors member

OSxiPro

Mine was perfect. If anything I find the display slightly better than my iPad 3.

19. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

jonnyb098

Looks damn good to me. I'm a graphic designer for a living and nitpick at color all day long and while I could to the same here, its just close enough to being perfect that I don't care. If people have obviously bad screens then get them replaced. Otherwise get some OCD meds..... :)

20. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

Me and my wife each bought each other and iPad 4 as a present for the other for Christmas 2012. Each on of us has a "perfect" display, as described: no video problems, consistent and even backlighting, and no dead pixels.

The only problem is a software one: to save power, the screen refresh rate is not ideal on the iPad, thus causing "waves" when scrolling up and down fast in portrait mode. However, to their credit, Apple has tried it's best in software to help this. There is no screen "tearing" as such, just uneven scrolling from left to right. I concede having such a high resolution screen on such a small, lightweight, and insanely thin device would have at least one sacrifice :)

21. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

lol .. apple designs such visually appealing products that it's no surprise there is a large OCD community using apple devices :D :apple:

22. yokken macrumors member

yokken

I've noticed the smallest amount of backlight bleed along the left side, but I only see it when I'm watching a movie and it's pitch black in my room, with a dark scene. Other than that, I've found my screen to be pretty darn good. I wouldn't call it PERFECT but I haven't found anything really wrong with it.

23. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Do whites on your screen look white or yellow?

24. yokken macrumors member

yokken

I would say they look pretty damn white with the ever-so-slightest yellow tinge. Not as white as my IPS monitor. Nothing I ever notice. It's not being used for color-sensitive photo work so I don't mind. I'm not looking for it.

25. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I said yes. but i can see that there is a difference between what other people call perfect, and what i do.

on mine, the backlight seems less bright on the outer edges of the display . so when reading a book, i see (exaggerated), dark, light then dark again.
    but then I dont think it's a backlight issue as if i tilt the display a certain angle, the 'darkness' goes away. so it must be a viewing angle thing. hence, the limitation is on the inherent technology and for what it is, it's perfect. no dead pixels, no image retention.

for kicks i turned off the light in my toilet once while i was dropping some serious log and so needed ipad as on seat entertainment. the backlight wasn't even if i turn the thing up to max brightness and made the screen all black.
    but i wont ever see this situation in real life. so doesnt bug me.

i do miss my old screen however (iPad 3) the thing wasn't as warm and seemed more neutral. but thats again, by design.

perfect ipad 4 screen. 1 for 1.