Anyone got any info on why turn by turn doesnt work in australia?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Frocktar, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Frocktar macrumors member

Well the title says it all, any idea why this would omitted in Australia?

If its based on Tom Tom, then it makes no sense, Tom Tom works fine here so why not support us.

2. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

My theory is that Tom Tom Australia has balked on licensing :(

3. Frocktar thread starter macrumors member

It makes me not really want to upgrade, either to the 5 or even ios 6.
    Other than the better camera i see no real world gain, only loss. Yes ios5 maps doesnt have turn by turn either of course, but it has excellent business listings which i dont believe apple can match. Plus i spoke to an apple guy, i called to check that it wasnt going to be available, and he told me that even the listing info wont be available, at least not at first, due to no yelp integration or something in Australia.

4. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Business listings seem fine here in Brisbane at least. Didn't work on the Gold Coast. YMMV.

5. Frocktar thread starter macrumors member

Thats good to know at least. Guessing Melbourne should be okey dokey then.

6. Oliver G macrumors regular

Business listings in Melbourne are terrible. Near my house in Clifton Hill they are listing restaurants that have been closed for 10 years, railway stations that don't or never have existed. Many parks aren't listed either. They have at least aligned the rail lines up correctly, but other then that there is no change from the beta.

I have spent the last hour or so going through my local shops and "Reporting" problems where I see them, hopefully once iOS 6 is released the the public we will see lots of people complaining and then maybe Apple will begin to fix it.

Its long way from Google Maps, but it is better than nothing.

7. Frocktar thread starter macrumors member

Better than nothing sure, but we dont have nothing now. We have excellent listings with the ios5 maps app. If we had to put up with a year or so or more to get this up to speed on listings that might be ok if we at least got something in return, i.e. turn by turn, but without that i dont see how i can upgrade either the os on my current iphone 4 or buy the iphone 5 knowing it wont have these features.

8. roundaboutmusic macrumors newbie

I saw this too, and figured I'd email Scott Forstall to ask:

Hi Scott,

Just saw that turn by turn maps won't be available in Australia (but will be in New Zealand?).

Just wondering if this is something that will be switched on for us Aussies in the near future?

Cheers,

I was pleasantly surprised when he got back to me. His reply:

Australia is definitely important to us. We first need to make sure our data is exceptional and qualified before turning on turn-by-turn.

--S.​

Just have to wait...

9. DrSD macrumors member

Cool, so no turn by turn for atleast 1-2 months?

What time pre-order starts on Apple store its already 14th here.

10. scottytwo macrumors member

It seems to, but Siri won't talk you thru it. I have GM running fine in wa with turn by turn, Siri is silent though.

11. Frocktar thread starter macrumors member

good one roundabout music, if its just a short wait i can live with that, otherwise im not to keen to give up my current maps app. I think ill stick to ios5 till then anyway as i use it very frequently. Im sure one the many people i know with iphone will update and ill see then how it matches up.

Never thought id not jump straight in to an iOS update, how things can change so quickly. im not even too sure about the new phone, im guessing ill prob end up getting one, but im far from sold at this point, it just looks kinda awkward to me, having said that its quite possible that when i see it in person i might feel very different.

----------

edit,

after posting that i suddenly got back to my original thought, which clashes majorly with what Scot had to say. Tom Tom already works great here, so whats the problem, its not like its a brand new area to have to make maps for. They already exist, something smells wrong here.

and what 'scottywo' says above, that turn by turn does work, but without Siri, i mean, whats going on here. Its been left out on purpose, obviously, but non of the info aligns up to give a real sounding reason why. I really they would just come clean and state the reasons.

12. roundaboutmusic macrumors newbie

Hi Frocktar,

Further research has uncovered that there are only two mapping companies in Australia - Sensis (Telstra) and Navteq.

Tom Tom apparently license the Sensis maps so if I was a betting man I'd say that the hold up has to do with Telstra, and money.

Oh well....

Here's a quote I found:

13. Oliver G macrumors regular

Apple now has Australia as a top "tier" country, this really should have been fixed by Apple in beta. As I said earlier the maps have barely changed since beta 1.

14. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

It's not just that she's silent. You won't get automatically rerouted if you miss a turn either. Basically, it's better than before but not as good as real turn by turn.

15. Master Talon macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a list of features that wont be accessible for Australian user in IOS 6?

16. Frocktar thread starter macrumors member

Very interesting info everyone, i wish Apple would just be forthcoming for once and explain some things, perhaps give a timeline. The fact is that we are losing a very good mapping app and having it replaced with something thats kinda half-baked. I personally believe that due to that fact a bit more transparency would be a reasonable thing to expect. Yes yes i know transparency isnt exactly Apples thing, and i get that for the most part, but in a situation like this it doesnt hurt them to do so, it could only do good really if we understood the thinking and had some idea of what to expect. As it stands i cant update either os or phone till i have a roadmap (no pun) for this as i use it regularly and as we all know, we are not allowed to downgrade our os since they seem to think they still own our devices we pay for. Yes i know, i getting increasingly bitter :)

17. scottytwo macrumors member

Anyone in Australia noticed that Siri sounds a bit unwell in 6.0 GM, and she is terribly innacurate in comparison to ios 5.1.1?

My headphone remote doesn't work either (genuine iPhone earbuds), wont start / stop music at all. :/

Hopefully this is addressed with the public build or 6.x or >