Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reserves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Apple swapped out my 2017 MBP for the 2019 due to having 4 keyboard replacements, lucky me.

However I've got the same issue with my 2019 MBP.

Pushing my luck I know, but at the same time, I *know* this problem will keep happening so not sure why I should put up with it for the 3 years I have AppleCare for.

reserves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Apple swapped out my 2017 MBP for the 2019 due to having 4 keyboard replacements, lucky me.

However I've got the same issue with my 2019 MBP.

Pushing my luck I know, but at the same time, I *know* this problem will keep happening so not sure why I should put up with it for the 3 years I have AppleCare for.

I'll assume not :)

Queen6

macrumors G4
Friendly note: I think you should be happy that they upgraded you to a 2019 model without charge, and not expect a similar upgrade to a 2020 model. Best of luck with your new MBP.

I strongly disagree as the keyboard should have been reliable from day one. The Butterfly Keyboard wasn't, Apple cut corners during the qualification, allowed a poor product to market, then deliberately ignored it's customers for as long as it possibly could.

OP should push for a notebook that works as advertised, not accept one with a recognised design flaw that will repeat over time, ultimately to the customers cost. Apple proport's to design the best, therefore Apple needs to step up and provide the same not keep excusing itself.

OP Have at, I would, you owe Apple absolutely nothing, inversely Apple owes it's customers everything, something it's long since forgotten...

Q-6
[automerge]1590527339[/automerge]
That sure would be cool, but sets a terrible precedent for their bottom line.

Had my way Apple should be compelled to replace every single one of these defective Mac's, then and only then will Apple stop cutting corners at it's customers expense. The 15" MBP has had so many design related issues over the years it's beyond a joke...

Replacing the same defective part over & over is hardly a solution, equally see just how the price of the 2016-2019 Mac's bomb as Apple closes the extended keyboard warranty. Ever more for the landfill...

Q-6

Last edited:

pcdtech

Suspended
May 11, 2020
I strongly disagree as the keyboard should have been reliable from day one. The Butterfly Keyboard wasn't, Apple cut corners during the qualification, allowed a poor product to market, then deliberately ignored it's customers for as long as it possibly could.

OP should push for a notebook that works as advertised, not accept one with a recognised design flaw that will repeat over time, ultimately to the customers cost. Apple proport's to design the best, therefore Apple needs to step up and provide the same not keep excusing itself.

OP Have at, I would, you owe Apple absolutely nothing, inversely Apple owes it's customers everything, something it's long since forgotten...

Q-6
So I guess they should give everyone who bought a 2015-2019 MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro a brand new 2020 model. Look, make no mistake that I hate the old keyboard design. I've been bitten by the keyboard twice. That doesn't mean I deserve a brand new laptop 3 years after I bought mine.

zfarooq

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2017
So I guess they should give everyone who bought a 2015-2019 MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro a brand new 2020 model. Look, make no mistake that I hate the old keyboard design. I've been bitten by the keyboard twice. That doesn't mean I deserve a brand new laptop 3 years after I bought mine.

They launched the keyboard replacement program. They admitted the issue. They still are replacing it with the same keyboard that has the same issues.

Issues have been evidenced repeatedly. They either lose customers, or fix what they did - be that including giving a new device to folks that have suffered as a result of buying something as expensive.

Reactions: reserves

reserves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
I’m not saying I expect or deserve a new laptop.

However the more I think about it, the more frustrating it is.

The issue is, as many have pointed out. Apple *know* there is an issue but they are simply swapping out the faulty part with another faulty part.

Essentially this makes the laptop disposable, once the keyboard repair programme ends then it’s just a matter of time before the laptop is useless.

I certainly wouldn’t complain if Apple swapped my faulty keyboard for a updated and fixed part.

Financially, for anyone not aware to replace the keyboard Apple have (to my knowledge) to replace the top case and the battery. That cannot be cheap, especially if they have to do it 4 times in 3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.