Anyone got experience with PHPBB3?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by PowerFullMac, Sep 17, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I am starting a forum with PHPBB3 and I have managed to install it all fine but there is one major problem... None of the categories I make show up on my forum index page!Anyone know what to do?Thanks in advance!

2. mari0 macrumors member

Make sure that all the user permissions are correct. For example, you may have not allowed your self permission to see the categories on the index page.

Try that out and report back.

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

As Admin you should see them all.

Next on the list, if that doesn't resolve the situation I suggest clearing and recompiling the cache for that skin.

After that, I'd like to see a link to the page or screen snapshot so I can see what's missing.

-jim

4. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Changing the permissions done it, its very annoying though as I have to manually have to do each section one by one, categories too, but in phpbb2 it set itself up.

Do you know how to set it up so permissions set themselves to whatever I want automatically to whatever forums I setup?

Thanks!

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Note: I have a slightly older phpbb, but the permissions advice is generic.

Everyone does it their own way, but my advice is setup the forum permissions first and do it sensibly. This means use "all" and "reg" as much as possible and minimize the use of "private" except to those which must be set that way. The private means you manually assign groups - very tedious. By "sets it self up" I guess this refers to using the SIMPLE MODE? As to that, when configuring forum permissions do simple mode first for all forums then apply any "exceptions" in advanced mode.

Then when that's all setup, do your group permissions (which are based on the forum permissions) and only adjust the "exceptions" that remain, i.e. specific users who are admins/moderators.

If you have alot of forums with many groups, it will be complex, so reduce the groups to the bare min you need as best advice to streamline the entire process. Use rankings based in total replies to distinguish your best users, i.e. doesn't have to be done with groups unless you base access on performance.

I could have probably used less words to get these points across.

-jim

6. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Ok, it's all sorted now! :)

I found out if I set the permissions for the category then the forums created within would follow suit.

Thanks!

7. mari0 macrumors member

Fantastic, well done. What is your forum going to be used for?

8. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

The link in my signature, this site :)