Anyone got rMBP from Amazon.com: Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ylmzonr, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ylmzonr macrumors member

Hi all,

I wonder if anybody got his rMBP from amazon? Since Apple reduced student discount to 100$, amazon's price for haswell base rMBP 15 (since there is no tax) is less than apple online store price and also expedited shipment is cheaper, I'm considering to buy it from Amazon. But I've never bought an Apple product from Amazon and I wonder if they come with the same exact package as Apple Online Store or Apple store? Or anyone had problem with Apple products from Amazon? Any help is appreciated.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have bought MacBooks from Amazon a couple times for the reasons you described and never had any problem at all. It comes in the exact same box as if you bought from Apple direct.

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Amazon has the best CS IMHO - I always purchase Macs from Amazon (directly from them).

4. bbapps macrumors regular

I bought my MBPr from BHPhoto along with AppleCare. I think the only reason to buy direct from Apple is their no-questions asked 14-day return policy, but I have no intentions of returning it for no reason.

5. shazza53 macrumors newbie

I ordered a 15" rMBP from Amazon on Friday - paid for 1 day shipping - it was scheduled to arrive today (Monday). It was shipped - but supposedly an error at the carrier has delayed it a day or two ...

This is unusual for my Amazon orders :( I have previously ordered MacBook Pros from Amazon and never had a problem (I don't consider the shipping issue an Apple issue). You get the same packaging, etc.

6. webcity macrumors member

I think they're great if you buy direct from Amazon but I'd be a bit cautious with the marketplace sellers.

7. ylmzonr thread starter macrumors member

Which one did you order? 2.0 with iGPU, or 2.3 with dGPU. It seems like everybody who gets 15'' in this forum, choose 2.3 with dGPU. I wish I can get it but it's a little over my budget. What is the carrier btw, UPS?

I will buy direct from Amazon.

8. shazza53 macrumors newbie

I got the 2.3 with dGPU. It did arrive - a day late, so Amazon refunded my expedited shipping (which was $5.99). As with previous orders, it came in a brown box, which contained the regular Apple packaging inside.

UPS was the carrier.

9. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Amazon is the best online retailer IMO. Bought my MBA there on Black Friday and saved over $200 vs. Apple's price.

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Years ago, I purchased my Mac Pro from Amazon to avoid taxes and it arrived in perfect condition.

11. Tfb macrumors member

When this happened to me (so far only once), I did an online chat with Amazon support and they refunded the cost of the one day shipping. For me it was only $3.99 because I have prime. It might be worth a shot!

12. bbapps macrumors regular

Just a note, Amazon use to be my go to online retailer, still will use them to check base price. But, given Amazon made a deal with Texas and Amazon now charges Texas sales tax which is fine, but I have to add it into the price when comparing prices. Not so much Amazon now days.

13. PapaVBnMOMO macrumors member

Bought mine from amazon too, the only cons with amazon is you can't upgrade the memory to 16GB

14. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Honestly if you can wait I'd try to snag an open box one, I got my wife a 13" MBA last Christmas for $879ish that was in "Like new" condition. Some great deals to be had that way, it came in the MacBook Air original box and I sent a screen shot with my proof of purchase to Apple and they actually started my warranty from my purchase date from Amazon even though it wasn't brand new.