Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
hi everyone! A while ago I posted a thread asking for help finding a laptop messenger with a long strap. I got LOTS of really nice answers, several of which were for the STM line of bags. I had browsed their site and found the Cargo which I loved, but I couldn't find a place that would ship it to Yurp for a sensible sum of money, so I thought I'd have to leave it even though it looked the bee's knees.

Well the other day I was shopping for a screen cleaner over at radtech.com (another macrumors recommendation--you people are real enablers, lol), and looked around to check there wasn't anything massively interesting I would want to add into my basket that I would see just after I'd checked, and what do I see but that lovely Cargo bag, and I can get it shipped right to my front door for all of eight bucks ;)

I emailed the radtech people and they confirmed the strap is 5 feet long (I'll actually have to shorten it--oh glory glory!). But I still have something I'd like answered before I flash the cash: I want to know about the inner sleeve that carries the macbook, and specifically:

1) whether it is attached to the bag, and whether it is possible to remove the computer from the entire bag (using one hand if possible) but in any case without having to take off the bag and set it down, and haul out the sleeve and put it on the table before taking the machine out of the sleeve. The blurb says the bag includes a divider that serves to keep your various bits and pieces separate from the space the laptop sleeve would occupy, so all the stuff doesn't pile up right at the bottom leaving you to try and stack the computer on top.

2) I want to know how likely it is the zipper teeth will scratch my precious macbook when I'm taking it in and out. That's interesting but not vital, as if there's a divider, I can always get a different sleeve that doesn't have that problem. would take a bit of research but hey, only the best for my macbook!

thanks everyone!!

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
1) whether it is attached to the bag, and whether it is possible to remove the computer from the entire bag (using one hand if possible) but in any case without having to take off the bag and set it down, and haul out the sleeve and put it on the table before taking the machine out of the sleeve. The blurb says the bag includes a divider that serves to keep your various bits and pieces separate from the space the laptop sleeve would occupy, so all the stuff doesn't pile up right at the bottom leaving you to try and stack the computer on top.

2) I want to know how likely it is the zipper teeth will scratch my precious macbook when I'm taking it in and out. That's interesting but not vital, as if there's a divider, I can always get a different sleeve that doesn't have that problem. would take a bit of research but hey, only the best for my macbook!

thanks everyone!!

http://www.stmbags.com.au/small-cargo-specifications.php#

Have you ever thought of actually going to STM's website and looking at the photos of the bag? I'm sorry, but come on! Look at the 1st question. It seems silly if you had just looked at the photos from STM's own website.

Well, I looked at the pictures on the STM site. Actually I think you'd find the ones on radtech.com are nicer--much bigger :) I would imagine that's the first thing anyone would do, wouldn't you? Especially when the recommendation mentioned above was by means of a direct link to said site :) But the pics won't tell you how easy it is to carry out a specific physical action with something :rolleyes:. And I would really rather know that before plonking over a hundred dollars on something and having it shipped half-way round the world--makes it that much less likely to end with me having to return the thing. Only someone who has actually handled the bag could tell me that, so I'd say owners of the bag would be likely candidates, wouldn't you?

Oh hold on. Did you even read my question? I mean OK, it is a long and possibly rather rambling post (heh, it was late and I wasn't very coherent :p), so if you can't be bothered to read it that's fine :) What's rather less fine is commenting when you haven't read it. It's not especially constructive, and in the few weeks I've been here, I've come to see the macrumors forums as an eminently reasonable and constructive sort of place.

Also, when I'm conversing with someone online, I try to avoid assuming they are rather silly. If I don't, I may end up sounding kind of patronising, which in turn makes only me look thtoopid--and kind of rude! Not A Good Look, I'm sure you'd agree :)

Anyway, anyone know anything about whether the zipper teeth are likely to scratch the computer when you take it out? Thanks!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yes, I did read your post, so my post should be "fine" by your standards. Doesn't change my previous answer, though.

Look at the 3rd photo. Clearly the MBP can be pulled out while still in the bag. In the photo, the laptop is halfway out of the bag, and the sleeve is still in the bag. This shows that the MBP can be removed from the bag without needing to take the sleeve out of the bag, setting it on a table, and then removing the MBP. If it can be slid out like that, it can be taken out like that. If you're having trouble, then look at the photos again when you're awake. Like you said, it was late.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I don't think that bag is going for $8 anymore...

http://www.radtech.us/Products/ShoulderBags.aspx#Cargo

Lol, it wasn't ever (at least I don't think so--that would have been a bargain with a capital B wouldn't it?). I guess it kind of looked that way in my message, I just meant that the shipping was only about eight dollars :) See I was so excited to finally find an online store that didn't ship via some really expensive courier method, that I just kinda muddled all my sentences :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Do you know whether it's alright for me to fix that in the initial post so it's not confusing any more? Or is it Not On to make changes once other people have posted answers, even if they're little corrections?

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
Lol, it wasn't ever (at least I don't think so--that would have been a bargain with a capital B wouldn't it?). I guess it kind of looked that way in my message, I just meant that the shipping was only about eight dollars :) See I was so excited to finally find an online store that didn't ship via some really expensive courier method, that I just kinda muddled all my sentences :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Do you know whether it's alright for me to fix that in the initial post so it's not confusing any more? Or is it Not On to make changes once other people have posted answers, even if they're little corrections?

Yes, you can edit your original post. I have the small STM "Alley" and love it.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Yes, you can edit your original post. I have the small STM "Alley" and love it.

Hey there, thanks! I fixed it (I hope!)

The small alley is very nice too. In general most people who have these bags seem very pleased with them, that's why I'm so keen on getting one too!

Genyus

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
London, UK
I don't own a Cargo, but I replaced my previous Axio shoulder bag with the Medium Alley several months ago and I've been very pleased with it. The STM bag has a number of thoughtful details which make a big difference in daily use and I'm sure they apply the same standards to the rest of their range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.