Anyone gotten a 1 TB MBP yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Knolly, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I know this is possible with an Optibay that lets you add a second HD, so someone could have two 500gb HDs within their MBP...

Someone out there must be absurd enough to have done this... Any takers?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I don't know if I'd be willing to part with the internal ODD just to add a second internal hard disk. Secondly, getting the factory ODD out of any Apple laptop is a very involved procedure that can void your warranty if something goes wrong.

If you need additional hard disks for scratch space (like audio/video rendering and other media work), external eSATA drives are every bit as fast and that's just a matter of adding an ExpressCard/34 adapter to accommodate it. It's not like your system will be moving around doing such a task.

3. Knolly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, trust me, I'm not about to do it, this is more out of curiosity if SOMEONE has done it.

4. theidoctor macrumors newbie

i havent but yea im sure someone has... im surprised it hasnt showed up on youtube yet.

Maybe we can start an apple mods group or something and do some outrageous stuff to it.....

deep fry a macbook or something...

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I've havent seen two 500 GBs, as they are relatively new. But i just saw for the first time the hard drive replacement for the ODD the other day when one of the techs was working on it.

1. The computer technically has its warranty voided. Adding a 2nd hard drive I believe constitutes for "modifying functionality, etc." on the AppleCare terms. The owner probably put it in himself.

2. It was a pain in the butt because it had its logic board replaced, so we needed the disc drive put in so we could complete the repair (serial #). We had to call the customer to bring in his superdrive.

ODD > 2nd HD in my opinion.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not to mention why would anyone spend the money for that optical bay drive when you get get a slot loading Blu-ray reader/DVD-burner for the same price (enclosure + drive)

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

id rather have 2x500GB in the laptop than a blueray SLOW laptop drive. There are better options for BR optical drives, namely a desktop drive in an enclosure.

and its not involving in the least to remove the ODD, its very simple, especially with the guides from ifixit. Anyone could do it in <30min