Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ischemic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh, UK
I got my MBP under a week ago and at the weekend I installed the VMWare Fusion beta to use with my Vista bootcamp partition. It worked fine (apart from vista taking an age to boot using bootcamp the first time after using Fusion) but last night I left my MBP on downloading torrents and when I came back to it this morning the screen was off (as I'd expect - the white light was on) but moving the mouse or hitting keys didn't do anything. I held down the power button to switch it off and then back on again.

I checked the panic log and sure enough there was something there, involving com.vmware.kext.vmnet. Now I didn't have Fusion running at all - why would it cause a kernel panic? Would I be best just to uninstall it or is there something that caused it that I can fix?

nospamboz

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2006
I checked the panic log and sure enough there was something there, involving com.vmware.kext.vmnet. Now I didn't have Fusion running at all - why would it cause a kernel panic? Would I be best just to uninstall it or is there something that caused it that I can fix?

Fusion does its network translation via separate Mac processes that are
loaded at Mac boot time. Try running the following in a Terminal window
without Fusion active and you should see quite a number of processes.

ps -auxww | grep -i vmware | more

Uninstalling VMWare should get rid of them, if that's what you want.

I've never seen those processes do anything when Fusion wasn't active
before. My own iMac runs non-stop. One thing: if your Mac goes to sleep,
it sometimes screws up networking. Try disabling it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25801

I know a number of other people on the Fusion community forum
(via http://www.vmware.com/mac) have experienced strange
networking behavior. If disabling sleep doesn't fix anything, it
would probably be best if you asked your question there, if you
haven't already. In fact, if disabling sleep fixes it, post there anyway
just to let them know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.