Anyone had an App rejected and if so why?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by thedollarhunter, Sep 20, 2011.

1. thedollarhunter macrumors member

In Review... and still waiting fairly patiently.

I am worried about two things in particular, firstly I have a launch image which is landscape only and secondly I have not tested the controls on a real iPhone as I only have an iPad. So basically I just scaled it down with glViewport...

Has anyone had an App rejected for these or other reasons?

I wonder if Apple reviewers actually play games or do they just automatically check the asset files and code somehow?

While I wait, you can take a sneak peek here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNbgFa0jzrI

:( if(inReview==1){wait[longDays];}

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I've only got one app on the appstore, a game, and it got through review despite a bug with pausing and exiting to the home screen.

Here are the things we know Apple definitely does with every app:
    - Launches it on a device to see if it crashes at launch. They obviously don't cover every software/hardware combination, or else you'd never end up with apps that tend to crash at launch on the app store, which do show up from time to time.
    - Run it through some kind of codescan that verifies it doesn't access unpublished APIs.

I recall them saying they only spend 2-5 minutes reviewing each app, and they have two separate people review it, completely independent of each other. If either of them reject it, then the app is rejected.

They have a list published of the 100 or so most common reasons why they reject apps... it's somewhere on the dev site.

Other than that, I don't think we know much more.

As far as how long you'll be waiting, I can say how long I waited for my app:
    1 week of "waiting for review" (I submitted on a friday.)
    The next friday morning, around 6 AM it changed to "in review".
    Around 8 PM that evening, it changed to "Ready for Sale", but the page failed to load every time I tried to look at it.
    Around 9 PM that evening, I finally managed to load the page a single time, but I frequently got error pages when trying to view it. It wouldn't show up in search results. Despite that, I made five sales that night.
    Around 6 AM the next morning, I first saw it as a "Recently Added Game", it would show up in search results, and the page would load consistently.

So, yeah, you're going to probably have to wait for another 24 hours or so before your game is totally live.

As for controls sucking on the iPhone... I've seen many games with lousy controls, I've never heard of Apple rejecting apps based on them. You'll get bad customer reviews, though.

As far as your sneak peak... it looked flashy and I was impressed for about ten seconds, but then I realized the game didn't seems to be going anywhere, and I feel like the game isn't going to actually be very fun. Making the game more wave or round or level based might be a good idea to help create a sense of progression.

3. thedollarhunter thread starter macrumors member

Not sure if that is a good or bad thing ;-)

Thanks for the feedback, I agree totally and have split the game play into Rounds with a series of Unlocks to try and give some feeling of achievement...

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Well, and now I have a second story to share because my second app just went live on the app store :)

Submitted it Tuesday afternoon last week, they let me know it had gone into review at 10 AM today, and it just finished review a few minutes ago (around 12 Noon).

The page for it loads on my computer if I type in the address, but it doesn't appear when I search for it and it doesn't appear to be in the recently added category yet.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It may take a few hours for all the databases with this information to be synched. Be patient.

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I understand. I was just letting the OP know what's up with my own app, so that he'd understand that it's the norm if he sees the same thing.

7. 1458279 Suspended

Nice looking game, what game engine did you use?

8. thedollarhunter, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011

thedollarhunter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man, you just made my day!

I made it using the GLSprite sample code, I added a spritesheet with images rendered using Blender along with some loops for the game logic.

I was thinking about posting some of this stuff in a blog to share my climb up the xcode learning curve - which took me around 6 months!

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

CraigsHarvest went through a number of rejections / resubmissions until we were able to prohibit searches of "objectionable" terms in craigslist enough to satisfy the reviewers.

a.k.a. was rejected once because they weren't happy with me referencing "App Store" in the display name of the app on the App Store. It was had been submitted as "a.k.a. - The App Store's favorite name generator" and once I changed it to "a.k.a. - Your favorite name generator" they were happy.

10. 1458279 Suspended

I like the blog idea, it'll give a great learning tool for all those that dream of hitting the 'App Lotto' with their 'million dollar idea'

11. thedollarhunter thread starter macrumors member

Yes I agree, the opportunity to make an App that COULD reach thousands of people around the world is one not to be missed.

Good luck to us all