Anyone had experience using Jojo csm?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Isiah, May 19, 2010.

1. Isiah macrumors newbie

Isiah

Stumbled across Jojo open source content management system the other day and I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of using it; good, bad, or indifferent.

I'm trying to assess whether it would make my web content updating life any easier or not. So any insight would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers
    I

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I know it's over recommended, but have you considered WordPress?

There's a reason everyone raves about it :)

I've not used Jojo, it looks fairly decent though. I've used several similar cms's in the past and found most lacking in some way. So now tend to use WordPress for any reasonably sized site than needs content management.

I used CMSfromScratch for a while (and still have it installed on some older sites), but development has fallen to the wayside recently so it's no longer a safe bet.

Are you considering moving the dark fortress over to a cms? Or is this something else...

/Doug

3. Isiah thread starter macrumors newbie

Isiah

Yes that's exactly what I'm considering :).

The issue I have is that the site gets updated on a very regular basis with widely differing types of content formats. Each specific update requires changes to several files:
    • the actual content page itself;
    • a Dreamweaver Library file with the interior links for the corresponding category section;
    • the site's main front page with an update announcement and link,
    • the site directory page;
    • the RSS xml file;
    • and sometimes a twitter tweet announcement too.

Each periphery item requires some degree of content writing, checking, validating and uploading - it gets very tedious.

Not having used any type of CMS at all, I was kinda hoping a lot of this dogwork would be covered. WordPress I've looked at but would I think take too much work to figure out how my existing/soon to be revamped design would be ingested into the WP framework.

A CMS system seems a lot less painful. The slightly worring aspect is having embedded code tags tied very closely into a CM system that might not last forever.

Cheers
    I

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Ouch!

Yes, you need to use a cms. Save yourself some pain.

I'd still recommend WordPress. It's not likely to die any time soon. A properly set up theme will save you all this effort. You will be able to enter the content, upload the images, and press publish. All else can be dealt with by the theme or a plugin.

Your best bet is probably to find a theme which closely resembles what you want and hack around with it until it perfectly resembles what you want.

If you have the patience and time to put up with a busy person without much time or patience, then I'd be happy to help you along a bit... (I do have patience really, it just sounded better to say both :p) Drop me a PM if you want ;)

Otherwise, you're in a good place (here) to get advice if you choose to go with Jojo.

/Doug

5. designguy79 macrumors 6502

I am pretty happy with SilverStripe.org - you may want to check that one out, too.

Do you know any PHP? SilverStripe makes my life so much easier than other CMS that shall go nameless (not WordPress, I haven't had much experience with it)

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

A handy list of reasonable CMS's just popped up on 1stWebDesigner.com if you're still thinking :)

/Doug

7. deadmix macrumors newbie

i definitly Agree with you, wordpress is the best, free and easy, by the way, thank you for the link, till now i used Drupal, Wordpress, Pligg and typo3 , they are kinda Good, I tried SilverStripe but didn't like it, too Stable For me hehe