Anyone had experience with Dell Refurbished

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SecondDealer, Feb 4, 2009.

1. SecondDealer macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy a LCD monitor from the Dell Factory Outlet. It is refurbished and I was wondering if anyone had any experienced with Dell Reburb, I'd save $100 if I went with this option. All opinions welcome. Thanks

2. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

I've purchased numerous laptops from Dell's outlet store and never had a problem with any of them out of the box. I had to make one warranty claim, which was handled just like any standard purchase.

My girlfriend got a refurb monitor, the 2007wfp I think it was (or something like that, it was a while ago), and it was perfect. No dead pixels or blemishes.

I'm pretty sure they still have a 21-day return window, so you're pretty safe if you decide to try the outlet store.

3. md1207 macrumors newbie

I just received a Studio 1537 from Dell Outlet. I only buy Scratch and Dent PC's from them and I have never had a problem. The laptop I just got had no blemishes at all and looks new to me. Dell is very good about taking refurbs. back, and they don't have a restocking fee.

4. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I got a XPS 730 recently and had no problems with it so far. You can find some mega deals.

Make sure you search the web for coupons, i got 20% off my purchase. There are coupons for the refurb store (unlike Apple's). Don't buy until a coupon becomes available for what your looking at. They usually swtich between desktops and laptops every few weeks. Just be patient until you get the deal you want.

Do a search for Dell Outlet coupons. Here is an example http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/150929

5. SecondDealer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with a broken screen.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Not unless UPS kills it on the way there :eek:. I +1 to the list of fully operational dells from their refurb store.

7. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Well, maybe I just had bad luck, but my last desktop PC was a Dell E310 that I bought refurbished that was nothing but trouble. It had blue screen issues out of the box, had every part replaced, only to find out it was the motherboard (like I had told them all along). During the 90 days of warranty it came with, I had the motherboard replaced twice - then it went out again literally 1 day after the warranty expired and Dell refused to do anything other than give me a "discount" on a new mobo (at $279 it was almost as much as the computer had cost me)! I personally will never buy another DELL refurb - however, I have no problem with refurbs in general; I bought my wife's iPod Touch as a refurb and its been great, and just today I received a 19" LCD refurb from TigerDirect and its great (so-far), too. Just my 2 cents... :)

EDIT: And before someone tells me I should have bought extended warranty, I know, I know - but still, 3 motherboards in 3 months is a little much.