Anyone had experience with PowerMax Apple trade-ins?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tilpots, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

So I've put my MBP up in the Marketplace here and on my local Craigslist, but as a backup plan, I've looked into trading it in with PowerMax. I saw one of their ad banners here on MR but I wanted to know if anyone's had experience trading in their Mac.

Specifically, I was quoted a price on the phone for what they said my MBP was worth, but I must then send it in for "inspection." Do they pay what they say they will, or will they try to lower the price once they have it? Maybe because I've already gotten that far in the process so they think they can eek a few more bucks outta me...

Also, I think it's a little odd that they offer wholesale prices for trade-ins (the phone rep said it's akin to Kelly Blue Book values for cars) and then turn around and charge you full retail for what you get next. Just seems like they're making money off customers coming and going. I know I don't have to use them, but I really would love to hear others experiences with them. It's not a terrible deal, I'll be able to get what I need, but I don't want to get scammed. I've also read reviews about them on the net and for the most part they are very positive. Anyone dealt with them? What did you think?

2. XiuXiu2012 macrumors newbie

XiuXiu2012

Michael with PowerMax here.

I won't attempt to cloud your judgment by telling you how awesome we might be, but I can point you to some other online opinions about us and how we work.

Pricegrabber Ratings Page for PowerMax:
    -- reviews.pricegrabber.com/powermax/r/7281/

MacRumors Forum:
    -- forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-34577.html
    -- forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=285402
    -- http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-103022.html

Reseller Ratings:
    -- www.resellerratings.com/store/powermax_computers#reviews

PowerMax has been around for more than a decade, but our parent company has been around for 30 years selling Macs and Apple goods.

In terms of valuation, we really rely on you to give us an accurate description of your machine. Obviously condition is somewhat subjective, (and some people will say a MacBook with a broken screen is still in tip-top shape) but we certainly try to meet the quoted valuation. We've made our name with our trade in program, so it's not like some kind of scam. :)

Besides, you can always walk with your machine. You're never obligated to take our offer.

On the wholesale/resale pricing - we take all the risk of reselling your trade-in (I mean, we've still got G3 iMacs - http://www.powermax.com/parts/code/PM_CU_IM_C3) so while it might seem like we're tipping the scales in our favor, all of the costs associated with processing, housing, marketing, and reselling used Apple computers means your computer costs us MUCH more to sell then just the value we provide at the time trade-in.

I hope that makes sense.

I'd also recommend checking out our friends at SmallDog.com - they're a+ awesome, and are certainly willing to make you an offer on your machine.

Good luck!
    - Michael

3. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Michael-

Thanks for taking the time to write. Yours wasn't the reference I was looking for (;)) but I do appreciate your response. Might be talking to you soon!

4. Chele macrumors member

I've used Powermax twice now for trade ins and I can't say enough good things about the company. Both times, I dealt with the same salesmen and I really liked him. I thought that the trade in that they gave me was decent. And then I didn't have to deal with the hassle of selling it myself on eBay or whatever.

And by the way, I've never been quoted a value and then not given the full value. Of course, if you send in a computer that's not in good condition, ymmv. But my trade ins have always gone smoothly.

5. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks, Chele.

My sale's not going so well here or on my local CL, so I am glad to hear that they've treated you right. I'm looking at them and Smalldog to see who might give a better deal. I know I'm biased, but I think I've given each a fair and balanced description of my MBP. Now just waiting to see where I can get the best value...

6. Chele macrumors member

No problem. Good luck with your decision. Just FYI, Smalldog was not doing trade ins the first time I dealt with Powermax but they were the second time. I contacted them also and they offered me quite a bit less for my computer than Powermax did but YMMV. It's definitely a good idea to check both though.

I will say that Joe is my salesman at Powermax and I really thought he was great. I'm not sure who you spoke with. I would recommend him but I'm sure all the others are great too.

What computer are you wanting to trade your MBP for?

Edited to add that I did use Smalldog's iPod trade in program and it went smoothly also. Just FYI.

7. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Looking to get a mini to use as a HTPC. I spoke with Mia at PowerMax. She was really nice and I'd ask for her if I go with them.

8. boldknight macrumors newbie

Beware Powermax Trade

I would avoid doing a trade with Powermax. I purchased a new i7 Imac late last year from Powermax. The reason I picked them is because of the Trade-in. It took until late October until Late February to get a reply on my trade. I got ZERO! They claimed all sorts of things like the speaker not working, a loose USB connection, a bent AGP clip, etc. They also said I had no Airport or AGP card? I never said I did. I had sent them, in great detail, what was in my G4 prior to the trade-in I copied of all the system and hardware from the System Profiler and sent it to them. Seems they never read it and in February denied me as I had no AGP card or Airport card...I never said I did? I had a third party Airport Card and I told them that and I had an upgraded ATI Radeon Card and they denied that also.:mad:

SO beware before you buy and do not expect to get anything on trade, and look for the best deal anywhere else. Yes, they are all so nice to sell you a product, but when they evaluate your computer for trade, look out! This whole process with Powermax makes me feel as if I was dealing with a bad car dealer.:eek:

9. Love macrumors 68000

Love

They seem reputable, albeit massively overpriced.

10. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Well, I just got my Mac Mini shipped in on Monday and everything with Powermax went great. I traded in my Late 2006 MBP and received the full amount I was quoted. It was in great shape and I described it as so, plus I shipped it with all the original accessories including the box. The amount I received was a little less than I thought the MBP was worth, but I tried selling it here and locally and got no takers. Overall, I'd recommend them. The service was as described.

A note, the process does take a while, almost two full months for me in total. Figure a week to ship it in, 6 weeks for Powermax to examine it, and another week to get your new product back. It felt like an eternity, but that was allotted time frame.

Would I do business with them again? Yes, but I would try a lot harder to sell my computer myself next time to avoid downtime and to maximize the computer's worth, so it really has nothing to do with a shortcoming on their end.

11. Chele macrumors member

I'm glad to hear that everything worked out for you, OP. The whole trade in process does take a little longer than I would like but for me it was worth it. I didn't want to deal with the hassles of selling it.

Have you received your Mini, how are you liking it?

12. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Loving the Mini, so far. It's a slow process setting it up, though. I've been having to get everything done after work & family time and between watching the Olympics & American Idol. Can't wait til this weekend when I get to spend some quality time tweaking it just right.:)

13. bsolomonny macrumors regular

Wow that is too much downtime for me. There is no way to speed up the process?

14. Tilpots thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Not from what they told me.

15. Remag1234 macrumors newbie

QUOTE"Also, I think it's a little odd that they offer wholesale prices for trade-ins (the phone rep said it's akin to Kelly Blue Book values for cars) and then turn around and charge you full retail for what you get next. Just seems like they're making money off customers coming and going.QUOTE"

You must be naive. Trade-ins are the same no matter what the item. As for a Mac, they're pretty much the same price no matter where you buy it. Sales tax is something I try to avoid. A trade-in reduces the Sales tax if there is any, and if not you're a real winner. Keep in mind the person who takes the Trade-in may not sell it for weeks or even months, multiply that by just 1000 and there's a lot of money not earning interest.
    Have a great day.;):p:)