Anyone had/has bed bugs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dops7107, May 14, 2008.

?

Bed bugs. Ever had them?

1. Oh yes. I know just what you're dealing with.

10 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. No, and I don't know what they are.

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. No, but I have heard of them.

47 vote(s)
    65.3%
  4. No, and I don't care unless they infest my Mac.

7 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Bed bugs. I'm not talking about dust mites, the microscopic things that are everywhere and feed on dust. I am referring to the apple seed-sized, brown blood suckers that give you itchy welts and sleepless nights. Cimex lectularis, the bug that is taking New York and London by storm.

The critters are almost indestructible. Many are resistant to insecticides, they hide in the smallest of nooks and cranniest of crannies, and only come out to feed at night when you're blissfully unaware. You pick them up from travelling (hotels, public transport), from other people's places, even at work. And the worst thing: they can live for 18 months without feeding, so even when you think everything's clear, they can come right back atcha.

There's a whole load of support and info on http://bedbugger.com. Google it: cases of bed bug infestations are rising exponentially due to increased travel, living density in urban areas and decreased use of insecticides like DDT.

Yes, I have them. I discovered them for sure when I came back from holiday, and the next morning my shoulders were covered in itchy welts. Suspicious, I lifted up my mattress, and saw nothing initially, but the next day, after more bites, I looked more closely. Under the slats, I saw something move. Long story short: this was back in February, I have dismantled my bed twice, cleaned every surface, covered all holes with tape, but an anti-allergy cover over my mattress, invested in new bedclothes and finally: I can get a good night's sleep.

The bad news however, is that it's never that easy. They weren't just in my bed. And now my housemate has them - they can't bite me anymore because my bed is standing in little bowls of soapy water.

If you have them: DO NOT IGNORE the problem. The populations rise exponentially: life cycle is just a few weeks, and a female can lay something like 300 eggs in a lifetime. If you catch them early, you can probably deal with it, but if they spread, it's professional pest controller time. Not fun, I can tell you.

Anyway, I just wanted to raise awareness, see if anyone else is suffering, and have a moan about one of my fave topics of the moment. Erm, thanks for listening! :)

[​IMG]

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And you find it necessary to make this a public poll to that end??

Strange.

(Plus, you forgot to vote yourself.)

3. dops7107 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dops7107

That's a good point. I shall change that (if possible), I suppose people would be ashamed. But that's half the problem: after all, it can happen to anyone, and the more open we are about it, the better.

What's the point? i have them and have said so.

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I never knew these things were even real until I saw a show on Discovery called Verminators. They went to a house with an infestation. Trust me, before I went to bed that night I pulled off the covers and sheets and looked under the mattress. Every little itch you think something is crawling on you after watching something like that. Looks like a nasty problem.

5. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Well I voted "No, and I don't care unless they infest my Mac."

Only because my iMac is under my bed (bunk bed thing with a work station underneath) lol.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

7. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

If you can afford a Mac you can damn well get rid of "Bed Bugs"

8. dops7107 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Ho ho. How naive. Yes, financially it may be affordable, but I'd pay good money to live without the stress. And yes: more than a Mac.

It's sad but true - BBs are famous for hiding in alarm clocks and power sockets. I think a nice, cramped Mac case would be an ideal home! You wouldn't like the unsightly fecal spots they leave everywhere though. Maybe a Core2Duo processor would fry 'em.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought they were just a joke "don't let the bed bugs bite" etc.

I best be careful then. I like sleeping on these fancy fluffy blankets my folks bring over from eastern Europe. They're very hard to find and I'd hate to get rid of even just 1 of them :eek:

10. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I'd get a hold of a bulb duster and some Drione Dust. It's pyrethrin based, so you don't have to worry about residuals. It's a desiccant, so it dries out the bugs and kills them. If a bug gets the stuff on their exoskeleton, it kills them eventually. Dust all the nooks and crannies in the room. Wall sockets, all the cracks and crevices around your bed and headboard, wood floor cracks... anywhere a crack, dust it. Put some in your box spring. You can inject it inside electronics like radios and clocks no problem. Should be some information on the net about how to properly use a bulb duster.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Not had them, but they are the reason I vacuum the mattress before putting clean sheets on. We'll see how those eggs like living in the Hoover :)

12. dops7107 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Sounds like someone with experience! I have used diatomaceous earth, it's just sand basically, and it works quite well. I didn't use a blower though. I have an unsealed wooden floor too, which is how I reckon they're spreading. The whole house needs sealing up with caulking. Quite how I'm going to convince the landlord to do that, I don't know, however :rolleyes:

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've been bitten by them several times while travelling. I got bit in hostels in Sydney, and in Perth.

Even after 8 months, I still have the bite marks from Perth.

Attached Files:

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

15. dops7107 thread starter macrumors 6502a

dops7107

eek. I'm ming to perth in October (my gf is there). I've already told her to look very carefully in her room just in case she picked them up from me. You're lucky you only got bitten and didn't take a souvenir home with you!

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Good gravy :eek:

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh my. :eek:

And why haven't they been the main subject in any horror movie? Surely they deserve a bit of respec.

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I'm confused. You say they can survive without feeding for 18 months yet you later state that their life span is only a few weeks?

19. tripton macrumors newbie

It is true that they can live with out food for 18 months. Their life span is not less. they live longer and keep reappearing again and again least when we expect them. Only solution to it is getting a treatment to them. Can get assistance from deadbedbugs.com for treatment against bedbugs.

20. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

I was living at a very filthy university dorm 2 summers ago and they had a huge outbreak of bedbugs while I was there, it was disgusting, I was getting bitten daily and I hated that dorm enough as it is because it was filthy, the bathrooms were very un-private and the bedrooms stunk alot, and bedbugs added fuel to the fire.

I tried lots of tips to remove bed bugs, and thankfully the bedbug problem didn't follow me back home, I was getting insanely paranoid because of it

21. sherlly macrumors newbie

It is not a matter to be ashamed. It can happen to anyone at any place.The bugs are a concern of the whole world. The health authorities are not taking much steps to eradicate them. This is where bedbugbureau.com comes into effect. They give suggestions of how to eradicate them and also treat the mattress against them.

22. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

No bedbugs for me, but I saw a big bug as I got out of the shower today (I have no idea what it was I just wanted to get to class). My roommates are really gross, lets just say I think I'll be finding new one for next semester. :(

23. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

You say bugs? In Nooks? I found a few bugs with my Kindle...

:p :D

24. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

This thread was a harbinger of things to come! What a nightmare for the hotel/motel industry.