Anyone had issues with a bad ram slot in a 12 (yes 12, not 15) inch PowerBook

amedias

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Devon, UK
As per title really, a slightly poorly 12incher has just made it's way into the fold, sold to me as KP'ing on boot with 'probably LB failure' but I was not convinced as when I tested it booted in safe mode just fine and verbose output hinted at a software issue.

It actually did turn out to be a software issue with corrupt BootCache and a couple of other file related issues, fixed in place without re-install and now merrily booting and chugging away...BUT

The ram slot is not recognising any dimms, the onboard 256MB works fine and it passes all other testing, just cant get any dimms to pass a test in there.

That will be slightly annoying if it's now limited to 256MB forever, I've had 15's with the lower ram slot issue but I've not heard much about 12's with this issue.

Any other sufferers or suggestions?

z970mp

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2017
ARM Computing
As I've endlessly suggested around these forums, go over the contacts with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol, do the same to the lobo slot, make sure there aren't any loose cotton fibers on the slot / contacts, and make sure to make a firm connection when reinserting the DIMM.

If that doesn't work, try another DIMM and go through the same process.

Alternatively, you could just boot into Apple Service Diagnostic and see if it detects any problems. It will tell you if you've got a bad slot.

Good luck.

Reactions: B S Magnet

amedias

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Devon, UK
Already done most of the above, tried multiple (known good) dimms of varying sizes.

Contacts cleaned on both dimm and slot, contact appears good ie: seated properly.

The only thing I’ve not done yet is ASD test as need to hunt out correct version and burn disc.

Reactions: z970mp

B S Magnet

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2018
don’t read my status message
As per title really, a slightly poorly 12incher has just made it's way into the fold, sold to me as KP'ing on boot with 'probably LB failure' but I was not convinced as when I tested it booted in safe mode just fine and verbose output hinted at a software issue.

It actually did turn out to be a software issue with corrupt BootCache and a couple of other file related issues, fixed in place without re-install and now merrily booting and chugging away...BUT

The ram slot is not recognising any dimms, the onboard 256MB works fine and it passes all other testing, just cant get any dimms to pass a test in there.

That will be slightly annoying if it's now limited to 256MB forever, I've had 15's with the lower ram slot issue but I've not heard much about 12's with this issue.

Any other sufferers or suggestions?
I did, and after trying everything at the time I could think of, I repurposed the PowerBook 12" as a donor for other computers.