Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I've held off updating my MacBook Pro to Windows 8 as I've had quite few issues with the entire system freezing on me. This occured with both the developer preview and consumer preview.

I was wondering if anyone has updated to Windows 8 RTM, or at least trying out the Enterprise 90-day evaluation, whether they've had any problems like the ones I have mentioned.

I've been using a mid-2009 MacBook Pro.

tru7h

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
I've installed Window 8 RTM build 9200 on my 2012 MBP with native EFI booting. I had plenty of problems (and BSODs) when driver security verification (can't remember the exact wording) was on. I disabled it and Windows is fairly stable now. I still get a kernel security failure crash once in awhile, so it isn't stable enough for me to rely on it yet.

bmw3wags

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
If you are upgrading from Windows 7 make sure you uninstall the bootcamp drivers before you upgrade. I didn't and it cause a ton of issues and I had to reformat in order to get it to work again.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
Installed Windows 8 last night, and it seems to run pretty well. As expected, the OS feels much more defined and stable compared to the pre-RTM releases. So far, it has been running very smoothly and I'm actually loving the feel of W8. Also, as an aside, Guild Wars 2 feels like it's running a lot better on W8 as well. :rolleyes:

As far as the installation process, that went swimmingly as well. I upgraded from Windows 7 and it didn't take too long. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not uninstalling the Boot Camp drivers prior to the upgrade, and now I can't get my trackpad working. Everything else seems to work fine, and I use a mouse, so it doesn't bug me too much. I'll probably just stick it out until Apple releases the new Boot Camp drivers - which may take forever..

Also note that I upgraded my graphics drivers to the latest as well.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
So far, it has been running very smoothly and I'm actually loving the feel of W8. Also, as an aside, Guild Wars 2 feels like it's running a lot better on W8 as well. :rolleyes:

Which then leads to my next question, does Safari for Windows feel snappier? :p

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
Which then leads to my next question, does Safari for Windows feel snappier? :p
I can't answer that, and probably never will, considering that I never used Safari for Windows before.

I would, however, try it out if they release a new version for Windows that syncs up with the new versions of Safari on iOS and Mac OS. ;)

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
I tried doing a clean install of Windows 8 on my laptop. Unfortunately, after installing Boot Camp 4.0 drivers, I couldn't get my trackpad to work correctly. I do not even get the tab option in the Boot Camp control panel.

For now, I think I'll hold off on Windows 8 on my laptop until Apple release the drivers for it. I'm a little disappointed because I've been enjoying Windows 8 on my desktop a lot. :(

THCMC

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Hi,

Same problem with Windows 8 RTM : freezes on MacBook Pro 2009.

Choosing energy profile "high performance" instead of default "balanced" seems to resolve this problem. Whatever works ! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.