Anyone had issues with Windows 8 RTM on their MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Grannyville7989, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I've held off updating my MacBook Pro to Windows 8 as I've had quite few issues with the entire system freezing on me. This occured with both the developer preview and consumer preview.

I was wondering if anyone has updated to Windows 8 RTM, or at least trying out the Enterprise 90-day evaluation, whether they've had any problems like the ones I have mentioned.

I've been using a mid-2009 MacBook Pro.

2. tru7h macrumors newbie

I've installed Window 8 RTM build 9200 on my 2012 MBP with native EFI booting. I had plenty of problems (and BSODs) when driver security verification (can't remember the exact wording) was on. I disabled it and Windows is fairly stable now. I still get a kernel security failure crash once in awhile, so it isn't stable enough for me to rely on it yet.

3. charlien macrumors regular

I have been running Win 8 on a mid 2010 MBP in Parallels 7 and now 8. No problems.

4. bmw3wags macrumors member

If you are upgrading from Windows 7 make sure you uninstall the bootcamp drivers before you upgrade. I didn't and it cause a ton of issues and I had to reformat in order to get it to work again.

5. Grannyville7989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

6. chrisvee macrumors regular

Installed Windows 8 last night, and it seems to run pretty well. As expected, the OS feels much more defined and stable compared to the pre-RTM releases. So far, it has been running very smoothly and I'm actually loving the feel of W8. Also, as an aside, Guild Wars 2 feels like it's running a lot better on W8 as well. :rolleyes:

As far as the installation process, that went swimmingly as well. I upgraded from Windows 7 and it didn't take too long. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not uninstalling the Boot Camp drivers prior to the upgrade, and now I can't get my trackpad working. Everything else seems to work fine, and I use a mouse, so it doesn't bug me too much. I'll probably just stick it out until Apple releases the new Boot Camp drivers - which may take forever..

Also note that I upgraded my graphics drivers to the latest as well.

7. Grannyville7989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Which then leads to my next question, does Safari for Windows feel snappier? :p

8. chrisvee macrumors regular

I can't answer that, and probably never will, considering that I never used Safari for Windows before.

I would, however, try it out if they release a new version for Windows that syncs up with the new versions of Safari on iOS and Mac OS. ;)

9. Grannyville7989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I tried doing a clean install of Windows 8 on my laptop. Unfortunately, after installing Boot Camp 4.0 drivers, I couldn't get my trackpad to work correctly. I do not even get the tab option in the Boot Camp control panel.

For now, I think I'll hold off on Windows 8 on my laptop until Apple release the drivers for it. I'm a little disappointed because I've been enjoying Windows 8 on my desktop a lot. :(

10. THCMC macrumors newbie

Hi,

Same problem with Windows 8 RTM : freezes on MacBook Pro 2009.

Choosing energy profile "high performance" instead of default "balanced" seems to resolve this problem. Whatever works ! :eek: