Anyone had luck with fast food places?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by forza69, Oct 20, 2014.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I just went to mcdonalds and paid with apple pay through the drive-thru and although it did the little check mark that it processed and it said transaction "just now" the girl said it didn't work. Had to pay with plastic. Anyone else? I had just gone to Petco and it worked perfectly. The cashier was like "wow I didn't even know we could do that."

I hope there's training coming to all of these companies soon. Having employees not even know what you're doing isn't the most reassuring feeling in the world.

Also, for my visa debit, it doesn't list the last transaction like it does on my Amex. It just shows the last time it was used with no amount or info.

2. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

3. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

Didn't work for me at the McDonald's drive through. It was a pretty funny conversation (at least to me it was).

Me: Do you guys have Apple Pay?
    Worker: Yeah, I can add an apple pie to your order.
    Me: No, Apple Pay.
    Worker: Um....yeah, I guess...people have been asking that all day.
    <I hold out my phone, not quite sure what to do myself, as I've never had a NFC device before>
    Worker: So...you use your phone, right?
    Me: Um...I guess so.
    <worker stares at me, awkward pause ensues>
    Me: It's ok, I'll just use my debit card.
    <worker quickly swipes and hands me a receipt>

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

lol

5. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I would be surprised if the McDonalds systems let an order be "paid for" twice. It is entirely possible it just didn't work, I have awful luck with the NFC terminals at McDonalds.

6. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Nah I just checked my bank and I was only charged once. Don't know what happened.

Haha mine went like

Me: so do you guys accept nfc payments?
    Her: *looks at terminal* I don't really know
    Me: can I try? I just hold my phone up to it
    Her: *brings out terminal* sure
    Me: ok it worked
    Her: no it didn't.
    Me: look it says payment done just now
    Her: yeah but it didn't go through here
    Me: oh. Wel. I guess I'll just use my card
    Her: mhm

7. dlbmacfan macrumors regular

I had to go through the procedure twice at McDonald's. Transaction didn't go through the first time but worked fine the second time.

8. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

That was basically my experience at a Subway. I did end up seeing the image on their screen that I should to show it should work....I think. This is also my first NFC device. Guess I'll try McDonalds tomorrow.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I had it fail at Panera but it was my fault. I accidentally picked the card that didn't have any money left on it.

But the iPhone still said "Done" and gave me a checkmark. I'd think that actually telling me the card was declined would be a smarter move there, but apparently not?

Anyway, OP, it sounds like something similar happened to you. Not that your card was declined, but that it didn't work for some reason but still gave you the check mark.

Apparently the check mark does NOT mean "success" in Apple Pay's world. It just means "here's a check mark to look at."

10. jayes macrumors regular

I can how this can be a potential issue. You think it's gone through because you see the check. Worker says it did not. How do you know which is right? Do you just pay "twice" and figure if you did pay twice, you can take it up with the bank? Or do you argue with the worker because you clearly see a check and that's supposed to mean it went through. I think Apple needs to have an option to redo, or just plain out say it did not work.

11. Rigby macrumors 601

I think the checkmark only means that the card credentials have been successfully transmitted to the NFC reader. Only the POS terminal shows if the payment is actually accepted (which may take a few seconds after the NFC transfer is concluded).
    It should be no different from what happens with a physical card if it doesn't go through the first time. Just ask for a receipt if you are unsure.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, when a physical card is declined the teller's computer tells them so and she can say "your card was declined."

But when it happens with Apple Pay the teller is told nothing. All she could say to me was "nothing's happening."

That could mean anything. Am I supposed to try the same card again? Apple Pay with a different card? Give up and use a physical card? I have no new information to guide me.

It would be great if it was the same as with a card, but right now all you can do is stare at each other until you finally decide to try something different.

13. Rigby macrumors 601

Interesting. But if nothing happens, it's unlikely that the card has been charged. As mentioned before, if in doubt, just ask for a receipt. If they have in fact double charged the card, you can easily dispute it with the receipt in hand.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Oh yeah, I was in no fear of being double-charged. I figured that until she sees the sale it hasn't actually gone through. But i't it's a bit awkward to have them staring at you and not have any clue what's not working.

15. Jd3774life macrumors regular

Jd3774life

I work for a grocery store at customer service and our system will literally not allow anyone to be "double charged". If someone decides to buy 2 of the same item in separate orders/transactions, it literally makes me add 1 cent to a random department like grocery or frozen foods in order for the transaction to go through.

16. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Was the visa debit card the transaction that failed? I made two transactions yesterday with my visa credit card. One at CVS that was successful and shows an amount under the recent transactions and I attempted one at 7-11 that failed. That one shows up under recent transactions, but there is no amount listed.

17. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

How would your phone know if the transaction went through? Does your phone need cellular data or wifi to do Apple Pay?

18. dilutedq macrumors regular

Who is going to train them? No one... they are just going to figure it out as they go. Not sure why that effects you in any way as this is a self servicing method of paying which doesn't involve much interaction with them other than to say you paid...

19. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Yeah my Visa debit failed at McDonalds. On screen it said recent transaction "just now" but the cashier said otherwise. I had gone to Petco before that and it worked like a charm, although it did not display the transaction amount, just that I had done one.

Who said that it affects me? I'm simply saying that retailers should know what NFC is, as they do support it in their stores. It's a shame people are so misinformed.