Anyone had success enabling HDR on 3GS with 4.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thelatinist, Sep 25, 2010.

1. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I've tried following the instructions at redmondpie.com, but the controls still don't show up in the Camera app (though an HDR setting appears under Pictures in Settings.app). Anyone had any success with this?

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I would tend to think that part of the reason the iPhone4 .ipsw for 4.1 is almost 600 megs and the 3GS is under 400 megs is that these software features that differentiate the two models don't exist at all on the older models. I do not think it's something you can simply enable, because the software for HDR is just not on the 3GS.

That being said, and with that redmondpie.com article, i could be way wrong (I hope I am!)

3. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

I have read numerous articles suggesting that HDR is, in fact, included in the iPhone 3GS and 3G versions of Camera.app but is merely switched off via preference list. There is also a Winterboard plugin in Cydia which is supposed to enable it (via the same plist hack).

4. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

If you go back and follow the link to the original article you'll see:
    lol FAIL!

5. troyhouse macrumors 6502

but dont you need to be jailbroken first to try all this, how can i jb 3gs running 4.1?

6. Hawt-1 macrumors newbie

7. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Jailbreaking a 3GS on 4.1 can be done with an unofficial release of PwnageTool, but... AT YOUR OWN RISK.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

As far as I know, the larger size is due to including low and high res versions of all the graphics. iPod touch 4 also has huge ipsws.

9. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

I emailed the developer of the Cydia package that was supposed to enable HDR and he confirmed that it doesn't work. It sounds like someone pretty clueless thought up a boneheaded idea and didn't even bother testing it.