Anyone had there LaCie break on them ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dave12345, Feb 22, 2009.

1. dave12345 macrumors regular

I've had a LaCie little disk for 3 months - the crappy in built retractable usb cable has already broken - It looses connection if you move or touch the drive while its in use - I've asked for a refund but Lacie will only repair as i've owned it for more than 28 days - I think this is terrible + know it will break again - I advice anyone not to get one of these drives - I think I will crack the case open to remove the internal 2.5" sata drive and put it in a more reliable enclosure - I don't want to trust my data to this poor design... :mad:

2. petemwah macrumors regular

I've got 4 x Lacie D2 drives and on the whole they're great! One of the Firewire ports on the oldest drive has snapped off, but it's working fine still. I do need to buy another one though as the two oldest are getting little peaky (they're about 4 years old at least?) x

3. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I use five Lacie drives and they have no problems. I've found that if they work fine for the first week, they seem to keep working well. However, i had three that failed (all power problems) within the first week after purchase and I had to exchange them. These were all currently available models.
    So, in my experience, it's a good idea to give them plenty of use early on, while within the return period.