Anyone has a 10-bit image lying around?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aevan, Oct 30, 2015.

1. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

So, news broke out (and it was noticed on these forums even earlier) that the 2014 and 2015 iMac 5K, and the iMac 4K support 10-bit images in Preview and Photos.

While I never missed the 10-bit support on my 5K iMac, I am curious to check if there is any visible difference. So, does anyone have a 10-bit photo or something where such a difference would be visible? I would like to open it in Preview and in some 3rd party viewer still not supporting 10-bit and see if I can spot anything.

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

3. Evil Spoonman macrumors 6502

4. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

Thanks!

I opened it in Preview, which supposedly supports 10-bit, and in Photoshop, which, I guess, doesn't. "Ramping" of the gradient is present in both cases and the image looks the same which probably means either of the following:

1. Preview doesn't show PSD files in 10bit even if they are (the article did mention it works with Preview/Photos and RAW files, who knows)
    2. The support is not really present in practical terms and it will come at a later date
    3. The hardware simply does not support 10bit, it's just the drivers
    4. The difference is too subtle for me to see

5. redheeler, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I opened my test image (attached) in Preview after installing 10.11.1 and confirmed support is definitely there on my late 2014 Retina iMac. Check if Pixel Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010) in System Information > Graphics/Displays matches yours.

Attached Files:

6. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

Yes, it works. The problem is that it's a bit buggy - I had an external display attached and I was using a 3rd party app (QuickRes) to get that display into retina mode (it is a hidpi screen) and it seemed to have interfered with the Preview app I turned it off and restarted and it's definitely 10-bit. The bands on the grayscale image you attached are gone, and opening the same image in Photoshop (which doesn't support 10-bit yet) shows the bands quite clearly.

For now, only in Preview/Photos, but future OS X versions could bring system wide support. And it's up to Adobe now to implement it in the OS X version of Photoshop, which may happen, like, never - considering how fast they are in addressing El Capitan Photoshop bugs.

Still, it's nice to know the screen is indeed 10-bit. I remember when a lot of people cried for days on these forums how the iMac 5K cannot be a professional device because the screen is not 10-bit. Well, there you go :)

Thanks for the image and info!